Tax Return

CuriosPanda

You need to get / use your Tax Number (TFN) and submit a tax retrun for 2013. The place you work should give you a summary of the wages paid / tax paid for the year 2012 to 2013 and then when you submit your tax return you put in those details, i.e. money paid to you and tax held back, against the ABN number of the place you worked. The ABN will be on the summary they give you. Go to this wesbite http://www.ato.gov.au/ and you can submit your tax return online. However you should perhaps get somebody who has submitted tax returns before to help you, e.g. your parent(s), a mate, etc if you are new to this. If the place you work does not give you a summary ask for one. If it all gets too much visit the tax office in Perth city and get some help by one of their staff.

Ok i will ask for that next time I am in woak, I was told i need to get a group cert from my job is thatthe same as the summary? and do you know if i can get that tax back if it was because i did not have a tax file number?

Hi not a tax expert but my son went through the same thing. Group certifcate will give you the information you need in terms of what you earned. Once you have your tax file number, assuming you can get one based on your own circumstances, and the group summary information then you can submit a tax return for last year. If you have paid too much tax, which sounds possible given your age, the fact that you had no tax number and had tax taken off, then you would probably get a tax rebate. However it will all be based on how much you have earned less the allowable tax thresholds. As I said above though you perhaps should sit down with somebody who has done a tax submission before so you can through it step by step and learn. All this will also be based on your own personal circumstances in terms of eligibity to work, residency and/or visa type, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest10912
Ok so im under the age of 18 so i do not get taxed

Do you mean you did not have income when you were under 18? Because you are not exempt from tax just because of age, taxation applies to everyone regardless of age.

Any tax you over paid, will be refunded to you when you do your return.

Ok so im under the age of 18 so i do not get taxed, but when i first start working i did not have a tax file number so i was taxed alot of money i just wanted to knoe can i get that back and how because i know thye tax return is soon?
Why wouldn't you get taxed just because you are under 18? I started work at 17 in the UK and I got taxed then, don't think Australia is any different

• 2 weeks later...
Well it is differant, because i am under the age of 18 I don't get taxed :?

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Studying/In-detail/Special-rules-for-under-18s/Income-of-individuals-under-age-of-18/?default=&page=1 This is the link to the ATO website page about Under 18's and tax. You need to read this and all the associated links. You should have a Tax File Number and if you earn over $18,000 you will pay tax. Your employer should provide you with a Payment Summary (which used to be called a Group Certificate). You use this to lodge a tax return and if you have made too much tax, it will be refunded to you.