We need cars!!

Plimthing

Hi, we arrive on 21 August and whilst we have a hire car for 2 weeks, we will need a couple of cars after that. One will need to be half decent as i will be travelling to and from Perth Airport a lot and the other a reliable runaround for my wife with space for 2 kids and a stroller.

We don't need a chelsea tractor or porsche just every day jump in and drive kind of vehicle. Prestige is not an issue if it works its fine!

Regards

Tony

Follwoing earlier comments, go for Gumtree. My two cars (Ford Falcon and Volvo) were $2K each, and have been great so far ( 1 year). Cars here tend to have high mileages at the bottom end of the price range, but go for ones that are designed for it, and you shouldnt have any issues. Just amke sure they have Rego, and your good to go.

Nick

Thanks for all the advice, the carsales.au one is great! So how does the REGO work? am i correct in thinking this is like uk road tax with 3rd party insurance as well? What is a road worthy certificate? is that like an MOT and do all cars need one? Lots on the sites mentioned above don't seem to have one.

Roadworthy certificate is not required in WA as far as I know just rego, and yes it's third party insurance, but it has very limited cover in the even of an accident, I would recommend purchasing more insurance cover, especially on your travelling to work vehicle!

As far as I've worked out, you only need a RWC if you're stopped by the police and given a yellow ticket or if the rego expires.

Your car will then have to "pass the pits".

God knows how many cars are out there held together with gaffer tape!

You'll see some cars on gumtree advertised that have passed the pits, the amount of work done to get it done can be astonishing.