Changes to rental laws 1 July 2013

Im not sure if it has been posted already, i had a quick look and couldn't see anything.

from 1 July this year tenancy laws have changed and one of the most significant changes in favour of tenants is that agents can no longer charge a weeks rent as an option fee. If the property is less than $500 a week, the max option fee charged is $50 and if the rent is over $500 a week, $100 is the max option fee.

as a result some agents have dropped option fees altogether. This makes it much easier to apply for multiple properties at a time and not be out of pocket to the tune of hundreds of dollars, and if there is no fee at all you don't have to worry about agents keeping your option fee if you choose not to take the property.

the market is definitely turning a bit and i have seen a number of properties with two or three home opens before they go, or even rents reduced due to no applications. Its a good time to be coming over and looking for a rental. Jobs however, is another story altogether!!

Have to agree with you.

Just been having a look at rentals for friends coming out next month. So much more choice than this time last year and a lot being reduced.

Some agents still trying to ask over the odds though and still putting up crappy photos or even no photos at all!

Having only recently got here I think its a fab idea to reduce the option fee, I was lucky enough not to loose out when we were got accepted on the house we are in as I had an option fee down on another but rang agent and they said if I withdrew my application I could come down and get my option fee, i was advised my the receptionist of this, thankfully i did as when she took my message through to agent she called and said i was lucky i rang and got there before her as she was about to tell us we had the house would have been $500 down the drain as they would have kept it was so lucky. It did put us off applying for properties to if you have an option fee down on one you don't really want it down on 2 or 3 with the risk of loosing thousands if you can afford to put it down on 3 or 4 in the first place. Then you have to hold out to see if you get it and if you don't you have to go back to collect and start search again and if you are only in a short term let for say 4 weeks (we booked for 8) you worry that your going to be homeless.

Maddie i wont lie, the jobs market is tough at the moment, in all industries. What work do you and your husband do?

its not easy to just pick anything up, especially if you have not done it before. It seems like unless you tick every box and then some more, and you put gold stars and glitter all over your application, its pretty hard work to even get an interview here. I really didnt think it would be this hard.

Im not sure if it has been posted already, i had a quick look and couldn't see anything.

from 1 July this year tenancy laws have changed and one of the most significant changes in favour of tenants is that agents can no longer charge a weeks rent as an option fee. If the property is less than $500 a week, the max option fee charged is $50 and if the rent is over $500 a week, $100 is the max option fee.

as a result some agents have dropped option fees altogether. This makes it much easier to apply for multiple properties at a time and not be out of pocket to the tune of hundreds of dollars, and if there is no fee at all you don't have to worry about agents keeping your option fee if you choose not to take the property.

the market is definitely turning a bit and i have seen a number of properties with two or three home opens before they go, or even rents reduced due to no applications. Its a good time to be coming over and looking for a rental. Jobs however, is another story altogether!!

Thanks for that hadnt heard. Good to know as we will be looking next month.

Maddie i wont lie, the jobs market is tough at the moment, in all industries. What work do you and your husband do?

its not easy to just pick anything up, especially if you have not done it before. It seems like unless you tick every box and then some more, and you put gold stars and glitter all over your application, its pretty hard work to even get an interview here. I really didnt think it would be this hard.

Hiya lozzachino,

my partner has been working for the royal mail for 12 years and ive been in retail management for 10 years, so not got any other trades or anything. I wa born in oz but spent most of my life in the uk. Hopefuly someone will give us a chance lol well i hope so ive got 2 interviews in place for when i arrive, the first is day after we land, i am keen but i will most probably be jet lagged! so fingers crossed!

I know! I keep thinking i should start a course for estate agents on how to take pics!!! The worst one i saw was a photo of a graden hose and the paving, i think they were trying to show the alfresco but you could just about see the bricks for the hose!

Jeez Lozzachino they are so bad. Tbh I can't understand people paying for the crap marketing they are getting

hey their loss