Salary and cost of living

orca

Not sure the issue is just about what you can borrow but just as much as what you could afford to pay back. You may need to take a step back before you take a step ahead. Buy a house with no pool for example. Rome was not built in a day. Also if you need to live in a suburb miles from anywhere you would need to use a fair bit of your incomes on tranportation. Vicious circle. Anyway send me your e-mail address via Private Message and I will send you a Excel budget sheet and list if must read websites.

Hi

Can I pm you for that budget.sheet

Regs

Chris

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind having a look at the budget sheet too please :) This thread has been more than interesting.

@travelchic I think your salary will be more than fine.. We're going down to $70,000 for 6 months while I'm on maternity leave & as others have said... From what we're used too in the UK it's just life... You'll make what you've got work for you.. Some might see that as struggling but most will happy :) Gd luck!

Edited by portlaunay
removed personal email

Me too on a single nurses salary pmsl. If you see me on the street throw me a dollar won't ya ha ha

Debs

See, I was just trying to be helpful to show all the costs associated with owning a house and living here, I didn't say you wouldn't survive and I'm not sure I'll be throwing dollars at anyone in the street. I don't think those bills are too far off what most would have to pay - ok people don't need a cleaner, gym membership or Foxtel, but we bought a house we could afford on one salary (so looking towards maternity leave in the future etc) and everything else comes with just 'living' here. If you can do it cheaper, then like I said, you've done better than us and I take my hat off to you.

I currently earn......wait for it.......£26000 PA. I live in the northwest. Will be debt free with about 20k on the hip. If I have to drive I'll buy a second hand car, which I will choose with care (cost of repairs, fuel consumption etc). Average eaters, don't eat out often, low utility users, will be choosing state school, drink very little alcohol (but that could change with the lure of Australian wine lol). On a nurses salary i think we'll scrape through. To be honest that's all we do here so it'll be no different financially. Im used to being skint so it doesn't bother me.

Debs

You'll do fine, I'm sure. The great thing about here is that there's so much going on that's free. Courtyard music in the Fremantle Arts Centre during the summer is great - take a picnic and listen to some lovely music. Cirque du Soleil put on a free show in the city, there's the Freo street arts festival, the Pride parade, numerous parks and beaches, the Perth Festival and the Australia day fireworks.

Do you know where you'll be working or where you intend to live? Of course I'm biased but I think Freo is a lovely little town, it feels like a mini Brighton and there's always loads happening here and because everything's on our doorstep we rarely use the car.

Have to agree there! Freo is one my favourite places in Perth.. It would be a dream to live there but we always tell ourselves it would be too expensive. Have never really looked into it tho!

Prices for rentals have fallen fairly dramatically in the past 8 months. 3x1's that were initially advertised at an outrageous $1000pw were still being advertised at $800 several weeks later. In fact, I've just had a look and there is a tiny little 2 bed that was up for $650 in February and is still advertised now for $525. The ones that are going are the ones that represent good value but there are clearly some very greedy people still out there.

I guess it depends on what you want. Walk in robes, en suite's, swimming pools, home cinema's, none of those things appeal to us so we have a beautiful little weatherboard that we love. If we moved down to Rocko we'd probably be able to have all of that ^ stuff and more for what we pay here but as they always say, Location, Location, Location.

Edited by portlaunay

See, I was just trying to be helpful to show all the costs associated with owning a house and living here, I didn't say you wouldn't survive and I'm not sure I'll be throwing dollars at anyone in the street. I don't think those bills are too far off what most would have to pay - ok people don't need a cleaner, gym membership or Foxtel, but we bought a house we could afford on one salary (so looking towards maternity leave in the future etc) and everything else comes with just 'living' here. If you can do it cheaper, then like I said, you've done better than us and I take my hat off to you.

Hey, I'm grateful that you've shared your experience with you. I was joking about the dollars in the street. If you look through my posts, I joke a lot. That's the kind of girl I am. Didn't mean to offend you. Sorry :wacko:

Debs

You'll do fine, I'm sure. The great thing about here is that there's so much going on that's free. Courtyard music in the Fremantle Arts Centre during the summer is great - take a picnic and listen to some lovely music. Cirque du Soleil put on a free show in the city, there's the Freo street arts festival, the Pride parade, numerous parks and beaches, the Perth Festival and the Australia day fireworks.

Do you know where you'll be working or where you intend to live? Of course I'm biased but I think Freo is a lovely little town, it feels like a mini Brighton and there's always loads happening here and because everything's on our doorstep we rarely use the car.

Porty, I'll go wherever I get a job tbh. I've got it down to job first, then find somewhere to live and school close to job. I'm not particular about which school jonny will go to as long as he is happy. He is currently in a school where the results aren't so great. But he is happy and he is thriving with good results. But I think that is partly down to my input too. I ask him to read out road signs, ask him the time, show him my money and ask him if I've got enough for the 3 things in my shopping basket etc. he's learning and he doesn't even know it lol. Might get jonny to do me a budget sheet ha ha. Anyway, I want to live close to work so I can get home as quickly as possible for him.

Ive contacted a couple of hospitals with endoscopy units (my field) who've e-mailed me to say contact them on arrival. One was in Mount Lawley and I think the other was in Waikiki, so I'll do that as well as applying for other jobs. My friend lives in Mindarie and she said she would move to freo in a heartbeat. She loves it.

Debs

Porty, I'll go wherever I get a job tbh. I've got it down to job first, then find somewhere to live and school close to job. I'm not particular about which school jonny will go to as long as he is happy. He is currently in a school where the results aren't so great. But he is happy and he is thriving with good results. But I think that is partly down to my input too. I ask him to read out road signs, ask him the time, show him my money and ask him if I've got enough for the 3 things in my shopping basket etc. he's learning and he doesn't even know it lol. Might get jonny to do me a budget sheet ha ha. Anyway, I want to live close to work so I can get home as quickly as possible for him.

Ive contacted a couple of hospitals with endoscopy units (my field) who've e-mailed me to say contact them on arrival. One was in Mount Lawley and I think the other was in Waikiki, so I'll do that as well as applying for other jobs. My friend lives in Mindarie and she said she would move to freo in a heartbeat. She loves it.

Debs

The obvious start point would be Fiona Stanley Hospital. South Street runs through Murdoch where the hospital is and there's a nice little corridor through from Freo all the way to the Freeway with plenty of buses travelling straight to the hospital. Freo itself is pretty expensive compared to somewhere like Rocko but like I said, we rarely use our car and everything on our doorstep means what we save by not travelling, we spend in rent.

Moving further away from Freo places like Beaconsfield, Hilton, Kardinya and Murdoch all have some lovely properties. Hilton gets a bad rap but that's mainly because of a few bad eggs. If you're used to South London, as we are, the worst that Hilton dishes out is like a lazy Sunday back home.

If you take a look at the Fiona Stanley website you can register for jobs and they'll notify you as vacancies are advertised. They are already appointing staff so it's not too early to get in.

The obvious start point would be Fiona Stanley Hospital. South Street runs through Murdoch where the hospital is and there's a nice little corridor through from Freo all the way to the Freeway with plenty of buses travelling straight to the hospital. Freo itself is pretty expensive compared to somewhere like Rocko but like I said, we rarely use our car and everything on our doorstep means what we save by not travelling, we spend in rent.

Moving further away from Freo places like Beaconsfield, Hilton, Kardinya and Murdoch all have some lovely properties. Hilton gets a bad rap but that's mainly because of a few bad eggs. If you're used to South London, as we are, the worst that Hilton dishes out is like a lazy Sunday back home.

If you take a look at the Fiona Stanley website you can register for jobs and they'll notify you as vacancies are advertised. They are already appointing staff so it's not too early to get in.

I know that was aimed at Debs, Porty but thanks from me too, always useful to have a heads up (assuming Fiona Stanley has a maternity dept! going to look at their website now....)

J x

FSH has everything. I think the plan is for a phased opening, it's a massive project and clearly you can't go from nothing to fully operational overnight so some services will begin before others.

There has been a lot of talk in the press about the scandal of job cuts at existing hospitals and the number of foreign workers being recruited. I keep saying it but the press here is extraordinarily sensational and simply won't let the truth get in the way of a good story. I'm sure they think they're the voice of the people but their headlines are very damaging and best ignored (IMHO).

Perth's growing population needs infrastructure investment and this also means additional healthcare services and where will they get the staff from? There's certainly not enough in WA and it's unlikely many will come from the East coast so they'll have to look further afield.

Given all the discussions about 457's it will be interesting to see how FSH will recruit if this stream closes.

• 1 month later...
I don't want to put a spanner in the works Orca, but is a pool really that important if you live near the beautiful Indian Ocean where you can use free of charge plus it can be expensive the up keep of a pool, running costs and cleaning costs.

A pool is totally different to the Ocean. The Ocean has sharks, jellyfish, rips, can be very rough and windy and not everyone likes the beach!

(fyi I love the beach, but would still like a pool)

A pool is totally different to the Ocean. The Ocean has sharks, jellyfish, rips, can be very rough and windy and not everyone likes the beach!

(fyi I love the beach, but would still like a pool)

You also don't have to put up with other peoples dogs/children, a lack of legal beers, or sand in your crack.

I don't want to put a spanner in the works Orca, but is a pool really that important if you live near the beautiful Indian Ocean where you can use free of charge plus it can be expensive the up keep of a pool, running costs and cleaning costs.

I live bang opposite the ocean and would not even think of not having a pool. I spend far more time in the pool than indo in the ocean. Was probably only in the ocean once last summer. In the pool several times a day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys...i agree id rather have a pool than the beach if I had to choose. But for now we are putting things on hold as baby due soon. We can think about it again when we have a little less on! Besides in meantime the pound may improve a bit more or the oz dollar may drop - we will wait and see.

Thanks all :-)