Hanging frames etc on walls in a rental?

bwatt99

Im finally moving into my rental after as container has cleared customs and due to deliver next week,yahooo.

My questions is on my rental lease it says not to hang stuff on walls using pretty much anything you can think of,is this the norm with having a rental,did you guys who have rented hang anything up or leave the walls blank.

Is there things out there im sure i have seen stuff by i think a company called 3m that says leave no marks on walls are they any good.

I have a lot of nice mirrors,canvass prints of our baby girl etc etc i would love to make it more homely and not have them all stored away,whats your thoughts on renting and hanging frames etc etc on walls.

My friend asked her landlord for permission and they said yes but that they would be responsible for any damage to walls .. (a mark from a hanging hook will be damage), she decided against doing anything as it might end up re-painting walls etc., on leaving. If you're agreement stipulates nothing to be put on walls they'd probably say no and keep your bond if you did.

We have the same condition on our agreement. It stipulates that the entire wall will have to be repainted if a mark of this nature appears. Mine is an older home and some of the walls are likely only being held up by the cobwebs so perhaps it is wise not to hang any heavy mirrors or prints. It is nice to hang some photos though.

Canvases are very light so a really skinny pin or two may work. My son created an awesome self-portrait on a small canvas and this is hanging in his room using just a dress pin. The main concern is that people will start drilling holes everywhere and leaving nails and screws all over the place when they vacate.

I asked permission from the Landlord to hang a few pictures on very large bare walls and he was agreeable. I chose the frames I wanted and stipulated where I preferred them to hang. I chose quality hooks and agreed to paint over these so that they blended with the walls. We made a lot of improvements to the house and garden in the first couple of months, so the Agent and Landlord were confident we would do the right thing in respect of the hooks and painting. We have a two year lease so it was worth the effort, but had I been relocating in 6 months, I probably would not have bothered.

Im finally moving into my rental after as container has cleared customs and due to deliver next week,yahooo.

My questions is on my rental lease it says not to hang stuff on walls using pretty much anything you can think of,is this the norm with having a rental,did you guys who have rented hang anything up or leave the walls blank.

Is there things out there im sure i have seen stuff by i think a company called 3m that says leave no marks on walls are they any good.

I have a lot of nice mirrors,canvass prints of our baby girl etc etc i would love to make it more homely and not have them all stored away,whats your thoughts on renting and hanging frames etc etc on walls.

We have been in our rental since may and our agent said if we wanted things up where there weren't any hooks already then we can use the little pads you can stick to the walls you can get different size ones which hold different weights, they are ment to be damage free hanging and are available it most shops we have found bunnings cheapest to by them. Ive had some amazing photos done of my 6 year old daughter so there was no way I wasn't putting them up. We have used them to put up canvass as well. We have some of the paint left in our house and all the rooms are the same so I can touch up if a problem but they are advertised as damage free hanging. You can even get out door ones cause I fancy some of those wall art things for outside. Like you I want to make it homely and these have certainly helped.

Sarah

There were already numerous nails and screws in the walls of our old place so we just used what was there.

Our new house has been reno'd so the walls are immaculate. We asked about hanging pictures and surprisingly, the real estate agents (shudder), were pretty reasonable, we want to turn this into a home after all. The owners are a lovely couple who've invested a huge amount of effort and money into this place and I'd like to think that we'd add value to their property but that when we leave we'd also return it to a condition that means they've got nothing to do to it to get the next tenants in.

If your tenancy agreement says no to hanging stuff on walls, you can pretty mush assume that if they find during a rent inspection that you have done so, the land lord might not be too happy. Worth asking them though. Friends of mine got around this issue by buying a couple of easles and standing a picture on each. Looks quite effective actually.

• 7 years later...