perth and wa deadly insects bugs & animals???

kirksummers

hello all at perth poms

im looking at coming over to perth in november for 2 weeks then moving next year,was just wondering what deadly insects, bugs, animals etc are in wa and around perth especially???

thanks for any information

regards

kirksummers

Yep, only seen 1 red back and a few harmless huntsman

I have been here a year not seen a spider or a snake plenty of flies and mozzies in summer. But on the up side have a lizard who lived in the garden last summer. As someone said be more worried about driving here than the bugs and insects. Australian driving is more hazardous than the wildlife and more deaths from it

You people must go around with your eyes shut! I can’t tell you how many red backs and whitetips I've seen, they are everywhere. Seen a few brown snakes also, probably then astiest thing in reality are the mosquitos and the various viruses they carry.

You people must go around with your eyes shut! I can’t tell you how many red backs and whitetips I've seen, they are everywhere. Seen a few brown snakes also, probably then astiest thing in reality are the mosquitos and the various viruses they carry.

You live in Yanchep park mate:wink:

You are unlikely to see any too dangerous in Perth. Possibly a red back if unlucky and these are no longer regarded as "dangerous". In more rural areas, you might see a snake. Depending on time of year. We are semi rural so do see them / have to know how to react to them. But we are unusual.

The mosquito issue is real and something that should be thought about.

But. Of course, the Drop Bears are the big threat.

You live in Yanchep park mate:wink:

No, just the burbs, have a look, around the top of the wheely bin, in the bushes, under anything lying around, boxes in your garage. Plenty of snakes in the dunes along the beeches. I didn't even mention that 2 Christmases ago I woke up with a sore big toe, thought nothing of it, until it got worse, much worse, then intense fevers for a week, then a night in hospital on a drip - guess what the doctor? found 2 little puncture marks under my big toe! I didn't want't to scare anyone, but you provoked me oh doubting Thomas!

:wink:

Anyone I have spoken to mentions the mozzies and flies in summer. Are they that bad?

Flies are annoying, particularly when the east wind blows them in from the farms, but mozzies carry a very nasty disease called Ross River Virus, amongst other things.

Guest guest9824

Get a lot of critters up in the hills, red backs love our metal pergola and shed, it's like a spider incubator in summer! We have a skink that comes and says hello in summer, geckos and blue tongues! Had a brown snake in the garden, and had mr and mrs huntsman in the house.....huge...!! Bull ants everywhere and they hurt if they bite you. RRV is very serious as is dengue fever( actually not sure if you can catch this in australia...might be telling fibs:wideeyed:)and don't even mention them drop bears Stormy( that bit is defo true:tongue:)....oh the joys! It keeps you on your toes! :err:

Pea

Edited by guest9824
Telling fibs....maybe!

Basically just assume everything bites. This includes plants as well (eg. oleanders). I worked with a lady from India who used to walk to work. Anyhow, one day she came in and she was eating some berries she'd just picked off a shrub on the way to work!! :shocked: She didn't understand when everybody in the office just about had conniptions. It was a native plant which I couldn't identify, but trust me - don't eat random stuff!