New To PerthPoms - Any Accommodation Advice Gratefully Received.

Hello All (from a complete 'Newbie'),

We are emigrating to Perth on a Permanent Residents Visa in October, having validated the Visa in February (during a fantastic 2 weeks!).

If anyone has any advice regarding property rental, it would be most appreciated.

We plan to arrive on around the 3rd October and our 10 year old daughter starts school in Claremont a few weeks later and we therefore want to be reasonably close to that area. I will be job hunting immediately, and will therefore probably have to commute to work.

Although we have been researching rental properties on the internet, it is clear that it is a 'renters market' and that you cannot simply rent a property from the UK. We will therefore need to move into a holiday let, or similar for a short period whilst we get the relevant documentation sorted and find a suitable rental property.

Grateful if anyone could suggest:

a. How long we should book a holiday let or furnished apartment type place for.

b. Any leads for a suitable short term let.

c. Any top tips for getting ahead of the game regarding longer term rental properties.

Many thanks,

S.

You're very lucky getting your daughter into a school without a residential address - a lot won't allow that. It's been a long time since we arrived, but i'd look at a holiday rental for at least 4 - 6 weeks, our friends took a 4 week rental but did feel a little bit desperate towards the end but the area we live doesn't have that many rentals that come up - I don't know about Claremont - it may be that rentals are few and far between? Rental agencies usually like you to site the property before renting which is what makes it difficult to rent from the UK - and also often the pics don't match up to the property. either

I agree with ali. I would aim for a short term rental for 4-6 weeks. Particularly as Claremont is a popular area.

With regards to longer term, try to rent in an area you can afford to buy in as well as rent in. Claremont is expensive - your looking at paying $1 million+. Also factor in where you will be working.

The only way I could see you getting your daughter enrolled is to have put her in a private school? This actually frees you up a bit, as private schools don't require you to live in a particular area or suburb - you can live anywhere. This makes things a bit easier with respect to finding a longer term rental or property to purchase - you can look at areas surrounding Claremont as well (eg Karakatta, Swanbourne, Cottesloe etc).

To get an idea of rental prices and also purchase prices, go to www.realestate.com.au and put in these suburbs, and make sure the box which says 'Include surrounding suburbs' is ticked - this will give you an idea of pricing and availability. (Just be aware that searching for rental properties and properties for sale will be two different searches - check the tabs up at the top left to make sure you're searching the correct section.)

Because you know the area why not look for any lease breaks, ie someone who is breaking a lease cos they've bought, want to move, leaving country etc.

also if your willing to taken unseen, have a look on real estate. We took on a lease from the UK before we moved. Risky, but for us its been ace. Love the area so much, want to buy here

I agree with ali. I would aim for a short term rental for 4-6 weeks. Particularly as Claremont is a popular area.

With regards to longer term, try to rent in an area you can afford to buy in as well as rent in. Claremont is expensive - your looking at paying $1 million+. Also factor in where you will be working.

Agree with you about being able to afford to buy VS ... we've friends who moved from our area initially to buy due to cost of housing ... made money on the new house and have now moved back to our suburb.

All,

Many thanks for your replies and advice. I have just got up here in UK on a Sunday morning and was delighted to see all of your helpful responses.

Our daughter will be attending private school and we will want to be close enough to that for her daily journey to school to be relatively easy and so that my wife and I can be involved with school activities. The balance is, as you have articulated, that Claremont and surrounding areas are quite expensive places to live. I will be seeking employment on arrival, but have accepted that I may need to travel/commute - the critical factor for us is the school/family piece.

I was thinking about 4 weeks for a holiday let or similar to give us time to find a rental property, so thanks for the confirmed advice of 4-6 weeks, VS. I think that I may stick with 4 weeks in order to force us to crack on with house hunting - we work better under pressure!!! I like the idea of searching for a rental where someone is breaking a lease, assuming that this would mean the possibility of getting a good deal, but don't know anything about this. Does anyone know the process and/or have experience of this.

In terms of trying to get ahead of the game, we have a really good mate in Perth, who has agreed to start looking around at properties for us, but I agree that there is risk in trying to set up a rental before arrival and that time spent viewing properties ourself when we arrive will be critical. I just want to be as prepared as possible for when we arrive at the beginning of October.

Many thanks again for your responses (and please keep 'em coming if you have any more thoughts/advice)

Regards,

S.

Thanks again, everyone. Really

Guest Tennisnick

Hi S

we are moving from Hertfordshire to Perth in October as well and our 10 year old is going to a private school in Claremont as well. She has a place at Methodist Ladies College starting mid-October.

We have been looking at short term furnished rents in that area as well. All are very expensive for what they are, long term rents in the area much better value but seems impossible to rent these until you are actually there. Seems like for those first few weeks if you want to live near the school it's like living like a student again. Though it appears it is best to live near the school as traffic in the area at school drop off and pickup when we were there in May appeared very heavy.

In terms of how long you rent for, it depends when your things arrive from the UK. The relocators I have spoke to have given me varying durations, some shorter because they probably want the business. Have you sorted some one out, a recommendation would be welcome.

kind regards

Nick

Me and t'missus are house hunting at the moment. I am very very glad we didn't rent from UK, there are some lovely propertys and some howling property's! We have had to do a total rethink as to what we are willing to pay (600) in the areas we want to live and forget all our preconceived ideas about pools, butlers etc... They are very cunning with the pics online!! Having said that, as soon as we had a new outlook, property search has become a,lot more bearable and we have just applied for a nice pad in Woodvale. The good news is that prices seem to be coming down a,touch and there doesn't seem to be many people viewing alongside us... Also gumtree is a good alternative to Realestate.com.au

Good luck with all your prep work.