Accountants in Perth

Congrats all,

I secured a job too, signed contract middle of Dec & started 1st Feb, which suited me fine as my Wife had a baby middle of Jan.

For me, I took a Company Accountant position, salary is a bit down, and its a 12 month maternity contract. Its very admin heavy, and more of a paper pusher than a business partnering role(referring to stepping down, as suggested above). But its a job, and I can catch up on my debts & pay some bills at last, plus its 10 minutes drive door to door, which is nice.

Being on the inside I can see opportunity in the company(and some in its sister companies in other states), while here im using my commercial experience to try to improve the reporting etc. Plus, it is very good local experience, as it covers many areas of an industry I enjoy working in.

The position itself is not where I want to be career wise, but I believe it will help me get where I would like to be. The lady I replaced is determined she's coming back, so after about 7/8 months in I'll start asking the bosses if there's an opportunity in a different capacity(or even different state), otherwise I'll start putting the feelers out.

For reference, my company had to pay a silly amount in recruitment fee for me. It's crazy, but explains why employers like to hire in house, and use word of mouth.

On a side note, has anyone found that recruiters speak to you in a completely different way when your working, rather than when your seeking work ??

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I am ok to jump on here and ask a quick question.

I'm a new poster but I've been reading posts here for months.I promise to introduce myself fully in the coming weeks but there is a question niggling me on the subject of Accountants and CIMA..

My partner and I are hoping to apply for a 189 visa, he receives his CIMA final results June 12 and we were hoping we could get the ball rolling then with our move to OZ. However, I might have misunderstood the CPA process. Does my partner need to have post qualification experience before we apply for a visa or is the qualification itself enough? I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks for any replies.

I think the qualification itself is enough. CPA have a whole section in their website on what they require for skills assessment for migration so I'd check in there. Just one tip; don't claim for any pre qualification experience as it doesn't count and won't gain you any more points. All experience has to be post qualification and must be verifiable by your employer.

Not sure where my last post just went...

I was saying thanks Lou for replying and answering my question. Thank you :)

The other thing whin we found is if he doesn't have a degree then he'll need to be a full professional member before CPA will recognise his qualification as equivalent to a degree.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have just joined, I am a CPA just starting out on the 189 visa process & I wondered if any of you have arrived in Perth on this visa & if so did you apply as a general accountant or a management accountant or something else? I have just posted on another thread & I don't want to be confusing anybody asking the same questions again but if there is anybody who can give me some advise on the visa process I would really appreciate it. I have lots of questions!!!

I was in Perth in 2013 for about 10 months (on a WHV) and I secured two contract management accountant roles in that time. I was able to get both roles relatively easy, both through agencies but I very much felt that I just happened to be in the right place at the right time as on both occasions the employer needed somebody immediately & I was available at the time. I hope that when we return I will be able to find work as easily! From talking to agencies it seems that the job market is very competitive and it can be difficult to get a permanent role but they did say that this time of year is generally quiet and September is usually when things pick up, I didn't get any reason as to why things pick up in September though!