Cheapest ways to talk to folk in the UK

Celts

Hi, Celts,

If you and your family have iPads and/or Apple computer/laptops, Facetime is superb over a wireless broadband connection. We use it for my daughter to have video calls with her grandparents back in the UK and we have found the video quality to be much better than Skype and it is free (once you have spent a small fortune on Apple products of course!).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

S.

P.S No shares in Apple, but I find it all just works better!

Akasully,

Broadband packages are similar to UK in terms of data plans - but more expensive! You can either pay less for a certain amount of monthly data or go 'All You Can Eat'. As my daughter loves watching Hannah Montana and other such excellent (!?!) videos on youtube, we will probably go for an unlimited package.

Regards,

S.

I have a Vodaphone International sim costs $10 and calls to UK landlines cost a $1 a call, i'm usually on phone for up to an hour so it suits me fine :smile: For day to day use I have a Vodaphone $30 cap which gives internet usage (which I don't use) freetexts & calls to other vodaphones and I think its $450-500 for calls which I never use much of so I use this up with phone calls to UK at end of each month :smile:

Edited by mummytummy

We use VoiP for phone calls to the UK & Ireland with a provider called Engin. We live in a smart estate so we have no need for a phone, so this means we pay $20 per month on top of our broadband package (which is a different provider) and that gives us free local and national calls and free calls to the 8 international destinations which I think are the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, India, NZ and 2 more that I can't remember. If you don't live in a smart estate you would have to have a phone line and sell your soul to Telstra for it.

We use VoiP for phone calls to the UK & Ireland with a provider called Engin. We live in a smart estate so we have no need for a phone, so this means we pay $20 per month on top of our broadband package (which is a different provider) and that gives us free local and national calls and free calls to the 8 international destinations which I think are the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, India, NZ and 2 more that I can't remember. If you don't live in a smart estate you would have to have a phone line and sell your soul to Telstra for it.

whats a smart estate?

Bean

We have the cable and our tv, internet and phone all come through cable but telstra said we had to have a phone line as well.

we have 100gb a month and the most we used is 24gb i think. We used to have 10gb in the uk!

lots of skype, facetime, downloading and watching tv online.

we have contract phones with vodaphone, $40 a month gives us $450 credit to use as we like. Voicemail and calls and text to other vodaphone phones are free. We make calls to family overseas and still have credit that rolls over each month, its brilliant.

calls from our landline are 2p a minute to the uk which is really handy when we dont want to use the mobiles.

Hi,

we bought a vodafone sim for $2 and when you register the sim, if you select the 'international' option then you can call any uk landline and talk for an unlimited amount of time for only $1 per call..It does not include calls to mobiles and I am not sure what the cost of that would be but we think $1 for an unlimited landline call is very cheap.

we have only been here for 15 weeks so im sure there are better deals out there but we use Viber a lot, although the sound quality can be perfect one day terrible the next, facetime and skype, our internet is with iinet and they offer a package where you upgrade to an extra $10 per month and get cheap (how much this is I do not know!) calls to uk landlines, we've not done it yet but im thinking of it as speaking to my 93yr old Nan on anything other than the 'phone is not really working out as she cant text, doesnt even own a mobile and thinks Apple is just a fruit :)