I smell smoke...

Guest guest9824

Guest guest9824

..woke quite early this morning, to a very strong smell of smoke, checked the FESA website, no alerts for the hills. Hoping it's been updated. Makes me think about how brushfire safe we are! For those already here, does the risk of bush fires worry you? Would you know what to do? For those not here yet, how do you feel about the risks? Does it worry you?

I have lived in a high risk area for over five years, and am fully aware of the risks, I must admit it doesn't make me fearful, but I do get uneasy when I wake to the smell of burning (not the toast burning either)...what's your thoughts?

Guest guest9824
I just read something about a brushfire near Denmark and smoke alert from Walpoole to Geraldton.....says it will clear by Monday morning .

lou

Thanks Lou x. I have just tried to access the fesa website, but it must be taking a battering at the moment as it's running very slow. I noticed there had been a fire alert for Gidgge and Swan area, so maybe the after affects of that I can smell, although I didn't smell anything last night, the sky up here is full of smoke, so I will try to access the fesa website again, the wind is very strong too which isn't good! How do the hills look from the flatlands??? Do they seem more smoggy than usual? Off to make a cuppa and hope we are all safe....

pea

Guest guest9824

Thanks James. Worrying less now. Not sure how asthmatics go on when the air is so full of smoke, it's bothering me this morning and I'm not asthmatic. Hope Denmark doesn't get too much damage, lovely part of her world down there....

Good morning all. It smells very smokey in the northern suburbs. Found this on the Parks and Wildlife website:

The following information has been issued by the Department of Parks and Wildlife

The Department of Parks and Wildlife has issued a smoke alert for areas from Walpole to Geraldton and inland to Toodyay and Mount Barker. The smoke is from a bushfire that started in Mount Roe National Park, approximately 28km north-west of Denmark, on Friday.

The smoke is expected to clear tomorrow morning, Monday 6 January.

If the smoke is particularly thick, it is recommended people shut doors and windows and turn off air-conditioners.

People with asthma and pre-existing respiratory, cardiovascular illnesses or diabetes should follow their pre-prepared treatment plan.

Smoke may reduce visibility on some roads and motorists should take care, turn on headlights and travel at appropriate speeds when travelling in these areas.

People with conditions exacerbated by smoke should take precautions in line with their medical advice for these circumstances.

Guest guest9824
Good morning all. It smells very smokey in the northern suburbs. Found this on the Parks and Wildlife website:

The following information has been issued by the Department of Parks and Wildlife

The Department of Parks and Wildlife has issued a smoke alert for areas from Walpole to Geraldton and inland to Toodyay and Mount Barker. The smoke is from a bushfire that started in Mount Roe National Park, approximately 28km north-west of Denmark, on Friday.

The smoke is expected to clear tomorrow morning, Monday 6 January.

If the smoke is particularly thick, it is recommended people shut doors and windows and turn off air-conditioners.

People with asthma and pre-existing respiratory, cardiovascular illnesses or diabetes should follow their pre-prepared treatment plan.

Smoke may reduce visibility on some roads and motorists should take care, turn on headlights and travel at appropriate speeds when travelling in these areas.

People with conditions exacerbated by smoke should take precautions in line with their medical advice for these circumstances.

Thanks RS, I can't quite believe how bad it is this morning, as Denmark is quite along way away, must be this wind fanning the smoke that is causing the smoggy air...very glad it's nothing serious up here though...

Can smell it here in Freo too.

Even though we're low risk down here I'm still paranoid about it. Stay safe Pea and to answer your question, no, I wouldn't know what to do. Where do people go for the right advice? Is there anything people should do before taking a trip into the hills? Is there anything we should be carrying with us? How do we raise an alarm if we do see something and what should we be looking out for?

Yep, the smoke smell woke me up at 6am this morning - I'm near Karrinyup. One of the annoying things about it is that if you hang any washing out, it ends up smelling of smoke!

Hopefully no-one is at any risk from it. The windy weather won't be helping the firefighters' efforts to get it under control.

Guest guest9824
Can smell it here in Freo too.

Even though we're low risk down here I'm still paranoid about it. Stay safe Pea and to answer your question, no, I wouldn't know what to do. Where do people go for the right advice? Is there anything people should do before taking a trip into the hills? Is there anything we should be carrying with us? How do we raise an alarm if we do see something and what should we be looking out for?

Thanks Port. Glad I'm not the only one who is paranoid about it. I do constantly check the DFES website if I smell smoke. We are supposed to have an emergency pack ready for any eventuality but we haven't got it ready yet :( I think this should be our new years resolution to become more bushfire aware. The local shire does have regular meetings with updates on how to cope with any emergencies. We do have a fire hose at the bottom of the garden and one in the front...if it's a very warm day, I do tend to water around the perimeters and the walls of the house...just something my dad used to do, so I do it! I'm not sure I would stay and defend my home, I would be the first one out of the place....with the kids in tow and my chocolate stash!

Hoping everyone stays safe and damage is minimal...

Edited by guest9824
Spelling...

Thanks Port. Glad I'm not the only one who is paranoid about it. I do constantly check the DFES website if I smell smoke. We are supposed to have an emergency pack ready for any eventuality but we haven't got it ready yet :( I think this should be our new years resolution to become more bushfire aware. The local shire does have regular meetings with updates on how to cope with any emergencies. We do have a fire hose at the bottom of the garden and one in the front...if it's a very warm day, I do tend to water around the perimeters and the walls of the house...just something my dad used to do, so I do it! I'm not sure I would stay and defend my home, I would be the first one out of the place....with the kids in tow and my chocolate stash!

Hoping everyone stays safe and damage is minimal...

What goes in an emergency pack then?

I've just had a stroll to the top of the hill and I can't see the ocean. There's a white blanket covering the coast so the wind must be blowing it over us. The smell is very sweet, aromatic, both fragrant and terrifying at the same time.

As you say, hope all are safe.

Guest guest9824
What goes in an emergency pack then?

I've just had a stroll to the top of the hill and I can't see the ocean. There's a white blanket covering the coast so the wind must be blowing it over us. The smell is very sweet, aromatic, both fragrant and terrifying at the same time.

As you say, hope all are safe.

Not sure what goes into the EP. Probably, torch, first aid kit, spam!!!...most of which won't necessarily help when a fire is charging through your backyard, but obviously stuff that you can use to cope with the days after a fire...

Yes, RS time to see what Big Ben is on about, thanks for the link!

Edited by guest9824
Added text after reading big bens advice

Guest guest9824

...quick update at 1.10pm Perth time. Sky is back to normal almost, just a slight smog covering lower ground....

image.jpg

Porty not sure why it's the wrong way up:wacko:...can't seem to change it, ipad....bahhhhh

Edited by guest9824

Porty not sure why it's the wrong way up:wacko:...can't seem to change it, ipad....bahhhhh

Your image settings must still be set to 'UK'. It will be the right way up for them.

If you go into your profile you should see a location settings box for images, you need to check it so it says "Auto-rotate images for Down Under" :tongue:

stay safe everyone. thanks for that link i have jotted it down for later in the year. We have flood alerts here in the UK having the worst storms ever !! and some mad families are taking their children to the coast to have a look at the "waves" you could not make it up !?.

stay safe everyone. thanks for that link i have jotted it down for later in the year. We have flood alerts here in the UK having the worst storms ever !! and some mad families are taking their children to the coast to have a look at the "waves" you could not make it up !?.

could not believe those pics of that family of four yesterday odies. crazy doesnt come near to it.

J x

Apparently it was a suspicious fire too, in a national park. 100 firefighters were trying to bring it under control and it had burnt over 13000 hectares. Shocking. We went to Yanchep national park and the smoke was all the way up here. We live near the coast but wecouldn't see the sea today where we normally have great views.

• 4 weeks later...