How much savings do you need before migrating to Perth

Guest austindurrant

Hi Nikki,

Always nice to know other people are worrying lol.

It will be costing us around $14k before getting there with some of the stuff you have listed. We are hopefully able to cover ourselves for at least 6 months just incase neither of us find work on our skilled visa.

I think monthly living costs depend on what you want out of life etc. Many people on here put monthly costs way over our budget and then other people list exactly the same type of bills way under our budget, everyone is different.

What do you and OH do?

Keith

Hi Keith,

yep we don't live expensive lives really, it is all down to priorities I think and we prefer life experiences to flash cars and houses. We will be living on an amount that some have said is impossible to live on but our occupations are not very well paid so what can we do, all though they are better paid in OZ than here! My husband is a chef and I am a pastry chef so we don't need to worry about finding work as there are always chef jobs around, but we would like a few weeks to find our feet before OH starts a job. He has had a couple of doors open for work already and isn't even looking yet!

when are you looking to go out there then?

Guest Guest6235
I think is easier here if you don't have money but that may have a lot to do with my outlook.

I've been out of work for six months now and we've been living on just Mrs p's salary which is around $60k. We live in an expensive part of Perth, paying $675 a week for our 3x2.

Up until I was working we'd eat out at least three times a week, the wine rack was always stocked and the beer fridge bursting with cold ones. We've whittled our freezer contents down to almost nothing and have virtually no luxuries. I mentioned this morning that we were out of toilet paper and Mrs p joked that we'd have to wait until payday to buy more (actually she wasn't joking :laugh:)

If we were still in London I'd be desperately worried. The first three months were a vacation and it's really only the last four weeks that I've been properly hunting. We took the dog to the beach last night and had a swim, we go on bike rides, enjoy the parks and still do loads of things that are free. It would be nice to have a little extra cash but we're living, healthy and happy and it won't be like this forever so we're just treating it like a challenge.

Of course, we are pretty much established here, have a decent circle of generous and supportive friends and don't really need for anything of any great cost. I don't think we could have survived on this income if we'd just arrived but it's certainly possible to get by on very little and still have a good life.

Thanks for this positive post, it gives us hope.

I know it's going to be expensive for the things we have to pay for but it's some of those free things that you mention which we are hoping to do regularly.

Guest Guest6235
Hi Keith,

yep we don't live expensive lives really, it is all down to priorities I think and we prefer life experiences to flash cars and houses. We will be living on an amount that some have said is impossible to live on but our occupations are not very well paid so what can we do, all though they are better paid in OZ than here! My husband is a chef and I am a pastry chef so we don't need to worry about finding work as there are always chef jobs around, but we would like a few weeks to find our feet before OH starts a job. He has had a couple of doors open for work already and isn't even looking yet!

when are you looking to go out there then?

Hi Nikki,

I guess we are a bit like you in that we don't want the flash lifestyle. I am guessing a lot of people factor in alcohol and fags into their monthly spend but we don't do either apart from the odd beer or whisky I have.

We only did our 189 Skilled visa application last Tuesday so can't really give a timescale on when we will be in Perth but hoping it's before May next year. It may be favourable to us to land in April / May so we aren't straight into the Summer heat, although it will still be very warm.

When are you hoping to be out there.

Keith

Guest Guest6235
We fly 6 weeks on Sunday, we also figured May was a good time to go due to not being too hot!

Is it just the two of you or do you have children and are you planning on living in oz long term or just see how it goes in the first year and decide from there.

What area you staying in when you arrive and is it a holiday rental. Questions questions

we have a 3yr old son and a 7 yr old daughter and we are hoping we will stay in Perth for good but you never know what the future holds! we have booked a short term house up in Ridgewood for 4 weeks so not much time for us to have a look around at suburbs and find a rental. do you have kids too?

Guest Guest6235
we have a 3yr old son and a 7 yr old daughter and we are hoping we will stay in Perth for good but you never know what the future holds! we have booked a short term house up in Ridgewood for 4 weeks so not much time for us to have a look around at suburbs and find a rental. do you have kids too?

Yes we have a daughter coming up to 7 months old so hoping she will be good on the flight, not looking forward to that.

Where did you find the holiday let and approx what is it costing for the month.

I do worry about the costs of things sometimes but we do in England. I think my main worry is for health insurance and general trips to dentist especially if daughter needs braces etc in years to come.

I am guessing Chefs are on the skills shortage list for you guys to be going?

we booked our holiday let through ozhouserental.com and it was $670pw which was one of the cheaper ones but it has 4 bedrooms and is brand new so will do us! Chef is on Wa sponsorship list but long story short hubby got his visa for the occupation of cook, which was removed from Wa's list just after we got the visa granted.

health insurance and medicine cost is an issue as we are in Scotland prescriptions are free and we are registered with an Nhs dentist which is cheap (hubby paid £54 for 3 fillings and a scale and polish today!) I figure there is no reason to overly stress about it, once we are over there we can weigh up the various options and adjust to the system.

we booked our holiday let through ozhouserental.com and it was $670pw which was one of the cheaper ones but it has 4 bedrooms and is brand new so will do us! Chef is on Wa sponsorship list but long story short hubby got his visa for the occupation of cook, which was removed from Wa's list just after we got the visa granted.

health insurance and medicine cost is an issue as we are in Scotland prescriptions are free and we are registered with an Nhs dentist which is cheap (hubby paid £54 for 3 fillings and a scale and polish today!) I figure there is no reason to overly stress about it, once we are over there we can weigh up the various options and adjust to the system.

Get private insurance for dental and ambulance if nothing else. Dental here is scary expensive. A check up clean and polish is between $300-400. Three fillings would be heading north of four figures

• 4 weeks later...
Ross,

That happens in England too unfortunately. We have had to survive on some of our savings for several months in the past due to redundancy and we are a strong couple that can cope with this sort of thing. I do think for a move such as this that being in a strong relationship must surely help. England these days is not a cheap place to live and wherever you go people whinge about the cost of things. We are going out to OZ to as it's something that has been in our minds for the last several years. We have been to NZ in 2008 & 2011 and our hearts say NZ for the move but our heads say OZ due to the climate and better wage. My wife was actually offered a job in late 2009 after she had a phone interview with a principal in Marlborough but unfortunately we hadn't sold our house so had to turn it down.

I tend to look at things in life now that you never know how long you have left so if you never try it then you might always regret it. I notice a lot of Brits on here moan about Australia (not you) but they still stay in the country, so something must keep them there.

Keith

We are in exactly the same boat, we toured around NZ in 2007 and fell in love with the place. My wife is also a teacher (secondary English) and although the career is on the SOL, after reading a few recent threads around the teaching profession, I can only say that I'm VERY worried about the whole situation. I'm pretty sure I'd be fine, I'm a firefighter and a plumber before that, but would do any kind of job to make the dream happen. Mrs Skip though, I'm not so sure.....I would hate for to be out of work for months on end, getting more and more disheartened, hopefully though when we sell the house we should have quite alot of equity in it.

Edited by skip1690