Help with the boring but essential bits on arrival

Rendleroo

Hi we got a 175 visa do we need to register it.

Driving licence do you need to do a theory test or is English one ok.

Deb[

:arghh::biglaugh::chatterbox::laugh:QUOTE=Bridges;87332]I will be keeping this for future reference (if its all correct of course!!)

No you don't have to register your arrival on a 175 - we still haven't registered with the state migration (176) after 14 months.....oops !

hi..

Please advice if the list in order to do things, are correct?

Hi all,

I have been reading all the threads of this forum. This is very helpful forum. Appreciate all for such a kind support for people like us, seeking guidance. As far i understand the things to do (in order of documents req) after landing there are-

1.Collect the NAB account documents & card

2. TFN

3. Medicare

4.Rent a house( I think to rent a house we need some local ID proof)

5. Driving lic. & register our VISA

Please correct me if I am getting anything wrong also if I am missing anything important.

thanks

Yup! Pain in the a**e now!

You have to have various different types of ID. The list ran to:

UK passport = link between identity and person

Evidence of visa = establishment of identity

Current EFTPOS card = evidence of "operating within the community"

Medicare card = as above

Australian bank stmt = evidence of address

There are alternatives for each "evidence type" but some no new immigrant would hold, such as firearms licences, skippers ticket etc

You can get a WA proof of age card and use instead of Medicare but I don't know how long they take.

The full id list is on http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/dvs

Oh i see, i thought it was another item i had to add to my list! Im sure I'll be clued up on the lingo in the not to distant future x

Thats nothing. Wait till you go to use it for the first time. They will ask "cheque, savings or credit". Likewise in the supermarket, you have to select the button from the options of "cheque, savings, credit".

And randomly to use my "current" account I have to press credit!!! Go figure?!

I do like the new machines though where you just wave your card in front and you don't have to enter your pin for transactions under $100. Haven't figured out which account that's take. From though!!

Savings and credit both come from your "current" account. The only difference is that with credit you are not buying with credit, but get the protection that visa offers. But you cant get cash back with credit.