Brave??

beandownunder

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great thread !! loved reading all the replies !!

ive had a few different feelings about moving to oz, at the moment im feeling very scared, what the hell are we doing, is it going to really happen, other times im very excited and cant wait, a few of my friends think im crazy, but lots of people have said we are brave, asking if we have been to oz - no. does scott have a job - no. what am i going to do about laurens t1 diabetes - there are t1 diabetic kids in oz. and im sure there are hospitals too ;-)

It certainly gets a reaction, which kind of surprised me. We'd been living with our secret plans for so long that they had become almost ordinary to us. I love that everyone has an opinion! Since we started telling people last year I've heard some mad things about Australia and Perth specifically. Only today I was told not to get a cat because the locals will kill it as they eat the birds, and last week someone told me that people in Perth don't cycle anywhere. I'll have to live on a bus route because my son won't be able to cycle to school? I'm looking forward to finding out which of all the crazy things I've been told, turns out to be true?

Cycling is huge here. There are cycle paths everywhere and loads of people commute into the CBD by bike and every weekend you'll see great mobs of them getting a ride in before breakfast.

Portlaunay, I'm the sort of girl who has no idea what they are drinking, but know what I like. I hated the red wines they tasted of vinegar, the white wine was lovely but the sparkling wine was the best and to be completely honest by the time I left I could hardly put one foot in front of the other and a few headache tablets and black coffee were needed once home, but I can tell you the name of the winery which was Edgecombe Bros Winery in the swam valley and the food and service and obviously the sparkling wine were fantastic. We are going to take the kids at the weekend (obviously not to the winery) but to the chocolate factory and cuddly animal farm (but I may have to pop back into the winery to purchase some more wine for home).

Portlaunay, I'm the sort of girl who has no idea what they are drinking, but know what I like. I hated the red wines they tasted of vinegar, the white wine was lovely but the sparkling wine was the best and to be completely honest by the time I left I could hardly put one foot in front of the other and a few headache tablets and black coffee were needed once home, but I can tell you the name of the winery which was Edgecombe Bros Winery in the swam valley and the food and service and obviously the sparkling wine were fantastic. We are going to take the kids at the weekend (obviously not to the winery) but to the chocolate factory and cuddly animal farm (but I may have to pop back into the winery to purchase some more wine for home).

Hangover? :wink: I love a glass of bubbles too.

If you take the kids make sure you go to the reptile park. It's quite small but there's a lot of interesting info about snakes and it's useful for the kids to know what to look for. If anyone's feeling brave you can hold a snake too.

Cycling is huge here. There are cycle paths everywhere and loads of people commute into the CBD by bike and every weekend you'll see great mobs of them getting a ride in before breakfast.

That's good to know! I had assumed cycling would be popular but I'd never checked. Aren't helmets compulsory by law in WA, or have I made that up?

Ha ha Lou. That's another isn't it.

I get have you got a job to go to. No.

Do you have family there. No.

Are you renting out you're house in case you come back. No.

You don't need a holiday, you're going on a big Long holiday. Yes I do need a holiday.

It's expensive there you know. Yes I know.

wont you miss your family. Yes.

It'll be a shame to take jonny out of school. He loves it. They have schools in Australia you know.

Its a really long flight you know. Good job it's not a commute then isn't it.

Drives me mad. I've come to the conclusion that the people who pass all these comments, usually one after another, secretly wish they had the balls to do it lol.

Debs

So true Deb, so true!!

Oh no, I was really hoping that would turn out to be rubbish. We had to have out last cat put to sleep in 2012 and we've been looking forward to having a kitten in the house again. One of the many things we've been putting off until we get to Oz :)

I can say for certain that this one isn't true.

We haven't let them out yet S they only arrived at the weekend, but the locals seem normal enough and the lady at the council office where we registered them was lovely!!

I have to say, every single person we have spoken to about our plans to relocate to Perth have advised us to grab it with both hands, that includes all of our close family members too. The OH's sister is very upset, but still supports why we are doing this. My brother & mum are going to visit during Christmas this year and have already looked into trying to make the move permanently if we settle.

Its funny how people seem to react when they realise and feel they should point out that you are moving to the other side of the world and (temporarily) you are going to be jobless, homeless and friendless (to some extent) occasionally it does make me think oh s**t they're right are we doing the right thing but then i come on PP and see others in the same boat and it makes me feel all giddy again!

Thanks PP for never failing to put the excitement back into our brave adventure :P

Its funny how people seem to react when they realise and feel they should point out that you are moving to the other side of the world and (temporarily) you are going to be jobless, homeless and friendless (to some extent) occasionally it does make me think oh s**t they're right are we doing the right thing but then i come on PP and see others in the same boat and it makes me feel all giddy again!

Thanks PP for never failing to put the excitement back into our brave adventure :P

hear hear bridges :-)

not long to go until your adventure starts- wish I was getting on that flight!

Life is too short to be scared not to take a plunge and do something you want to. Thankfully everyone is different or the world would be a flippin boring place, so just embrace your spirit of adventure and go for it, whatever it is. Emigrating doesn't have to be "forever".... and if you find it really isn't what you wanted or expected, you can always go back to Blighty - but go back enriched with new knowledge and experiences. I take my hat off to anyone who steps outside the square and goes for something different!

today's comment " it's the most isolated city in the world you know and they have loads of sharks!"

really??!

But you can also swim with dolphins and watch the roos bouncing about.

Yes its isolated - but within a days drive you can be in the lush rolling hills and vinyards of Margaret River or head east and see some of the amazing desert - which can be breathtakingly (You can drive to Kalgoorlie in a day and is actually not a bad day out for a weekend. You can take a short flight and be in the Bungle Bungles and the Kimberly.