Brave??

beandownunder

Fab news Bean, I am glad she has finally come around must be a huge relief!!

We told some friends and family last weekend….at my 30th!! ARGH! stupid drunken idea! My best friend is devastated and I feel awful, this is probably adding to my wobbles atm. But some people who we don't know that well are really slagging our plans of and putting negative thoughts into my head. But actually I am ignoring it, because I know this is best for us, I am determined to do it, I think some of it is brave but also I would be stupid not to try it…..like one you wonderful ppl said today - it's not a one way trip never to return again type thing so I know I will not regret this decision to move to Perth - I can't wait…I am freezing today but the sunshine has fuelled my desire to see it more haha!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fab news Bean, I am glad she has finally come around must be a huge relief!!

We told some friends and family last weekend….at my 30th!! ARGH! stupid drunken idea! My best friend is devastated and I feel awful, this is probably adding to my wobbles atm. But some people who we don't know that well are really slagging our plans of and putting negative thoughts into my head. But actually I am ignoring it, because I know this is best for us, I am determined to do it, I think some of it is brave but also I would be stupid not to try it…..like one you wonderful ppl said today - it's not a one way trip never to return again type thing so I know I will not regret this decision to move to Perth - I can't wait…I am freezing today but the sunshine has fuelled my desire to see it more haha!

which is why this place is great for the positivity coming from people who have actually done it. I think Lou hits the nail on the head when she says that it's usually the green eyed monster which leads people to be negative- they know they would never have the opportunity that us lucky ones do have :-)

stay positive- we may end up working together!!

J x

it's easier to be "brave " with family support and I think we just turned a corner! My MIL (who in all honesty would be left without and family nearby if we left) has been upset for months and months and wouldn't even discuss aus, has just told me she is feeling much better now and has snapped out of it. She intends to enjoy the kids as much as possible while she can and if we do go she will try her best to visit us as much as possible! gobsmacked erm yes !!

also, we asked her if she wanted to come with us when we validate and she's said she would as life is too short! she visited aus more than forty years ago and is looking forward to going back! can't quite believe this!.....

maybe I'm still asleep??...

J x

We had a similar problem with my MIL to start with. Someone made the point at the time that she was probably going through some sort of grieving process. You know denial, anger, etc. it sounds like yours just got to the acceptance stage!

On the job topic, now I have a job I'm getting "oh wow you got a job already" in such a surprised tone that it makes me think they thought I'd end up a beach bum!

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting harder...news has travelled fast and everyone is buzzing with our pending move to Oz. There's a real sense of community and everyone wants to see us before we go. The sun is shining and it's making me wonder what are we doing?!?!?Leaving such a beautiful place and such lovely people!

we have paid the deposit on the rental starting from July 14th - we haven't booked the flights as we haven't sold the house yet!!!! had the asking price offered by one person but they haven't sold their house yet so its still for sale.

how much did you pay for your flights? who you flying with?

we have paid the deposit on the rental starting from July 14th - we haven't booked the flights as we haven't sold the house yet!!!! had the asking price offered by one person but they haven't sold their house yet so its still for sale.

how much did you pay for your flights? who you flying with?

We're flying with Singapore Airlines as we wanted to stopover in Singapore. We're spending a week on Sentosa when it's the twins birthday and they are so excited because they are meeting up with a friend of theirs who moved to Singapore 18 months ago. Can't wait!

We booked one way which cost £3.3k for the 5 of us including Singapore departure taxes.

We're flying with Singapore Airlines as we wanted to stopover in Singapore. We're spending a week on Sentosa when it's the twins birthday and they are so excited because they are meeting up with a friend of theirs who moved to Singapore 18 months ago. Can't wait!

We booked one way which cost £3.3k for the 5 of us including Singapore departure taxes.

that doesn't seem to bad for a family of 5. I am assuming you have sold your house?

that doesn't seem to bad for a family of 5. I am assuming you have sold your house?

Yep, house is sold and we are living in a short term rental whilst we work out our notices. Kids will finish the spring term and then we're off.

I'm feeling a little emotional today. It must be because spring is in the air and I've just spent the morning surrounded by friends at a fund raising tournament at the local rugby club

Yep, house is sold and we are living in a short term rental whilst we work out our notices. Kids will finish the spring term and then we're off.

I'm feeling a little emotional today. It must be because spring is in the air and I've just spent the morning surrounded by friends at a fund raising tournament at the local rugby club

im sure we will be feeling emotional as the departure draws nearer - but just think every day in perth will feel like spring and there are plenty of perth poms friends to meet up with

It's getting harder...news has travelled fast and everyone is buzzing with our pending move to Oz. There's a real sense of community and everyone wants to see us before we go. The sun is shining and it's making me wonder what are we doing?!?!?Leaving such a beautiful place and such lovely people!

Lou,

the sun will also shine in Perth, I'm certain there will be lovely people there too (and other lovely people following you out)

stay positive .....it's soooooooo exciting!!

me xxx

This thread made me smile :-) everyone going through similar emotions is refreshing. Early stages for us only got IELTS results Friday and sent skills assessment today. Got a little tearful submitting it, not because of nerves but for a feeling of desperation to be out there. We were set to go in 2006 but due to family member illness we stayed. We have told a few family be friends but our decision is not public knowledge and we have received some negative 'your selfish' comments as my brother died 3.5 yrs ago. But we need to focus on future and not morn forever. Any advice appreciated! X

Lou,

the sun will also shine in Perth, I'm certain there will be lovely people there too (and other lovely people following you out)

stay positive .....it's soooooooo exciting!!

me xxx

What is it about the sun shining in the UK for us all to start questioning why are we doing this? I had exactly the same reaction this weekend. We went away to stay in a hotel as a belated birthday treat. We drove through the stunning British countryside, looking at the rural scenery whilst enjoying the sun. We both agreed that when the shines here it is glorious but it doesn't shine often enough. We actually felt more relaxed and happy in the sunshine, things seemed easier somehow. People came out and sat outside listening to live music, chatting, enjoying life in general. We said this is why life seems so much more laid back and happier in Oz.

I must admit though, I am beginning to feel tearful at the thought of saying goodbye. My MIL had the boys this weekend whilst we went away. She said how lovely it was to spend time with them as they are growing up and were great to talk to. They said they would miss them terribly.

OH and I started to discuss how you say goodbye to parents. We agreed you had to say what you would want to say to them as if it was their death bed. Tell them everything you need to say because you may never get another chance. Well, I welled up at that and felt weepy ever since.

9 weeks exactly today. Can't believe it is really about to happen. I think the house sale is making me feel anxious as so many things depend on when we move out, which hasn't been agreed yet. Can't book anything until we know what's happening. I seem to spend much of my time anxious and grumpy at the moment. Yesterday I had a quick flash of thinking that this will be over soon, at that point I had a happiness spread through me and I smiled. It made me realise that i will be excited once the house thing is sorted. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Akasully2

I have been thinking the same. It has been a quick process for me. Granted visa 23rd Jan and offered temp part time job on 5th Feb. So i had 6 weeks to get organised, fly out 2 weeks tom! I have been a mixture of emotions but when people say your brave, I could never do that , i do question myself and think why is it brave and leads to some self doubt, esp when I am saying goodbyes to friends and family. But better to try and life a live you want rather than always thinking what if!

What is it about the sun shining in the UK for us all to start questioning why are we doing this? I had exactly the same reaction this weekend. We went away to stay in a hotel as a belated birthday treat. We drove through the stunning British countryside, looking at the rural scenery whilst enjoying the sun. We both agreed that when the shines here it is glorious but it doesn't shine often enough. We actually felt more relaxed and happy in the sunshine, things seemed easier somehow. People came out and sat outside listening to live music, chatting, enjoying life in general. We said this is why life seems so much more laid back and happier in Oz.

I put my washing out yesterday for the first time in I can't remember it's been do long , it was such a beautiful day I was thinking why am about to put my family through this very hard and stressful process , it's the weather, you see people about everyone is so much happier . We have such a beautiful country but it's no fun dragging 3 children round in the rain. We're not just doing it for that though I just want a better life for my family

Thanks for that Debs... it was hard, as your wonderful Mum and you will know, to be financially and emotionally responsible for 2 small children. I did have family to come to in WA - had none left in UK as I was the last of the clan to migrate to Oz - so I had some wonderful support that I didn't have in UK. But it was still hard. I wanted to come here to be with family and I had lived here before so knew what to expect, but I missed my friends and a lot about living in England. I go back for holidays and enjoy them hugely, but am always so happy to come home afterwards. Bottom line I was determined to give my children a good life and make a success of the disaster that my dream life had become. Hard work - determination - positivity - good friends/family..... worked for me girl and you sound just like I did. I don't know whether it was easier for me or you to go through this... probably the same in stress I would say! I am following your story on PP and so have to meet you when you finally get here!!

Ha ha. Will deffo meet up. That'll bring a whole new meaning to the word 'brave' for you lol. Just kidding. I'm tame.

Debs x x

• 5 months later...
Ha ha Lou. That's another isn't it.

I get have you got a job to go to. No.

Do you have family there. No.

Are you renting out you're house in case you come back. No.

You don't need a holiday, you're going on a big Long holiday. Yes I do need a holiday.

It's expensive there you know. Yes I know.

wont you miss your family. Yes.

It'll be a shame to take jonny out of school. He loves it. They have schools in Australia you know.

Its a really long flight you know. Good job it's not a commute then isn't it.

Drives me mad. I've come to the conclusion that the people who pass all these comments, usually one after another, secretly wish they had the balls to do it lol.

Debs

just re reading this thread and the posts have all given me some much needed positivity - as for this one @travelchic, it made me chuckle as we all get told/asked the same questions!xxx