Brave??

beandownunder

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree @beandownunder

I'd love to hear from some of the earlier posters who are now in Oz and see how they felt their move went looking at their earlier posts/concerns and if they really did feel brave :)

Absolutely! One of the bravest things I've ever done. It was a leap of faith. On many occasions after getting our visa and in the lead up to the move, I wondered if we would ever actually make it (the move to Oz that is).

The thing I hadn't considered though is that my friends back home, and probably my family to some extent, feel rejected; as if we've rejected them because the life we had with them wasn't good enough. But it wasn't about them...it was about how we felt. Yes, through other peoples eyes we had everything. But it's not all about money and something happened that made us think let's give this a go. Inject a bit of colour and excitement back into our lives and show the kids another country; another side of the world.

Am I glad we did it? Yes, at the moment I am. I hated it here the first 4 weeks. I was terribly homesick and kept thinking what have we done?!?! But OHs now working and enjoying his new job, we are living in a lovely suburb in a house with a pool, we've made some wonderful new friends, the kids are doing well at school and at their hobbies/sports (although the first one the twins went to was a bit of a worry!) which are far better organised than back home. And we've only had a winter here so far...everyone keeps bigging up summer!

Moving here will be one of the bravest things you'll ever do but if you don't you won't enrich your life with all the experiences a move like this has to offer.

Good luck to those still to make it here and hope to see more of you brave people here soon

Edited by Lou8670

I totally agree with @Lou8670, it was the bravest thing we as a family have ever done and I don't regret a single moment.

Again some family have felted rejected that we left the UK and hardly ever contact us, even though I go out of my way to send cards, messages etc but I think that is more jealousy, it took Pete a while to find a job, and I think certain family members were hoping we would be going back, then when we brought our house that again was another reality check for them.

It can be really hard when you first get here and go through your first birthdays without family and Christmas but that is because back in the UK you have a routine, you have a life and you have a home, when you move to Oz you put some things in a container, maybe even a car then pack a few suitcases and hop on a plane, when you land, you have to literally start all over again from finding out what shops you like, to where to get good meat, what area to live in and then to start new friends and it is so overwhelming as you don't have your mates to meet for a coffee and talk about all these changes, which is why it is important to go to meet ups etc, because there you will find lots of people who have done the same thing, some find it easy, some find it difficult, but by discussing your feelings and concerns and realizing you are not the only person to feel that way helps so much.

I think I found it so emotional the journey here, that I presumed once we got a job and long term rental sorted, then hey presto everything would be fine, and on the whole it was, it was just sometimes this overwhelming sadness would creep in. BUT and this is a very big BUT I do not regret anything we have done and really appreciate that we live in a beautiful area and we do so much more as a family. I am not sporty, I don't like getting up at 5.00am for bike rides, I like to paddle in the sea, but don't want to swim out too far, I don't think I will ever be brave enough for camping or bush walking, but that is because I am too old to change my ways, where as my kids are young and have their whole lives ahead of them and now have so many choices that they could fill up every day and they are the reason why I thought the move would be good for us as a family. Pete still has to work, but his phone does not ring after 6pm, it never rings at the weekend, where back in the UK he could still be working at 11pm at night and he could never go out without his work phone at the weekends. I don't expect my children to live their whole lives in Perth, but hopefully it will give them a good starting point and make their childhood last a bit longer.

I have made some very good friends here and they have become my family, and we have made sure that on special occasions we now spend time with our new friends. We have just moved in to our new home and my friends have all made an effort to come and see it and share in my excitement.

Sorry for droning on, but I think its important to say that I have not found it easy, but all the pain and tears have so been worth it. I was talking with my 15 year old the other day, and he was the only one he did not want to come out here, and we were just chatting and I casually said would you like to go back to the UK to live and he looked at me as if I was crazy and said no straight away, he said he can see that he has a much better life here than in the UK already, purely because he has more freedom and can jump on a bus and go anywhere and not really worry about being bullied or picked on, he has made a whole assortment of different cultured friends (he is the only English one) he even had the confidence to organise a job interview all by himself without even being prompted by us to go looking for a job. He said of course he misses family but he only really saw them on birthdays/Christmas's.

As long you plan financially this can be the biggest and best decision you will ever make and if you don't like it, you can always go back, nothing ventured, nothing gained. XXXX

I totally agree with @Lou8670, it was the bravest thing we as a family have ever done and I don't regret a single moment.

Again some family have felted rejected that we left the UK and hardly ever contact us, even though I go out of my way to send cards, messages etc but I think that is more jealousy, it took Pete a while to find a job, and I think certain family members were hoping we would be going back, then when we brought our house that again was another reality check for them.

It can be really hard when you first get here and go through your first birthdays without family and Christmas but that is because back in the UK you have a routine, you have a life and you have a home, when you move to Oz you put some things in a container, maybe even a car then pack a few suitcases and hop on a plane, when you land, you have to literally start all over again from finding out what shops you like, to where to get good meat, what area to live in and then to start new friends and it is so overwhelming as you don't have your mates to meet for a coffee and talk about all these changes, which is why it is important to go to meet ups etc, because there you will find lots of people who have done the same thing, some find it easy, some find it difficult, but by discussing your feelings and concerns and realizing you are not the only person to feel that way helps so much.

I think I found it so emotional the journey here, that I presumed once we got a job and long term rental sorted, then hey presto everything would be fine, and on the whole it was, it was just sometimes this overwhelming sadness would creep in. BUT and this is a very big BUT I do not regret anything we have done and really appreciate that we live in a beautiful area and we do so much more as a family. I am not sporty, I don't like getting up at 5.00am for bike rides, I like to paddle in the sea, but don't want to swim out too far, I don't think I will ever be brave enough for camping or bush walking, but that is because I am too old to change my ways, where as my kids are young and have their whole lives ahead of them and now have so many choices that they could fill up every day and they are the reason why I thought the move would be good for us as a family. Pete still has to work, but his phone does not ring after 6pm, it never rings at the weekend, where back in the UK he could still be working at 11pm at night and he could never go out without his work phone at the weekends. I don't expect my children to live their whole lives in Perth, but hopefully it will give them a good starting point and make their childhood last a bit longer.

I have made some very good friends here and they have become my family, and we have made sure that on special occasions we now spend time with our new friends. We have just moved in to our new home and my friends have all made an effort to come and see it and share in my excitement.

Sorry for droning on, but I think its important to say that I have not found it easy, but all the pain and tears have so been worth it. I was talking with my 15 year old the other day, and he was the only one he did not want to come out here, and we were just chatting and I casually said would you like to go back to the UK to live and he looked at me as if I was crazy and said no straight away, he said he can see that he has a much better life here than in the UK already, purely because he has more freedom and can jump on a bus and go anywhere and not really worry about being bullied or picked on, he has made a whole assortment of different cultured friends (he is the only English one) he even had the confidence to organise a job interview all by himself without even being prompted by us to go looking for a job. He said of course he misses family but he only really saw them on birthdays/Christmas's.

As long you plan financially this can be the biggest and best decision you will ever make and if you don't like it, you can always go back, nothing ventured, nothing gained. XXXX

A very thoughtful and well balanced post SJT.... so glad that you are settling better now.

Edited by Rossmoyne

@Lou8670 you need to change your location! It still says heading for...!

So - do I think we were brave to make the move. In a word, Yes.

We seem to have had a much easier ride through the process then some others. We never once doubted our decision to go for it and neither of us have had any homesickness since arriving in January. However, our families and friends back home were super supportive, sad to see us go but glad for us too. And OH's family have done nothing but make us feel welcome and included us in everything. Being migrants themselves they are well aware of the pitfalls and go out of their way to make things as smooth as possible for us.

I still think we were brave though. As Lou says it is a leap of faith. We have been extremely lucky but it so easily could have gone the other way. I think we continue to be brave too. We changed everything about our lives when we moved here. OH gave up work and bought his own business and now we are starting the process of building our own house. Something we would never have considered (or afforded) in the UK. A friend of ours commented on Skype the other day that they couldn't believe what we had achieved in a year whilst everyone back home was just plodding on through their lives.

Don't underestimate the effort you need to put into it though. You have to work to make this a success, you can't sit in front of the tv same as you did in the UK and expect to make a life for yourself. Like SJT says you have to put yourself out there, go to meet ups etc (although I can't say I've made one yet as we always seem to be busy doing something else!), try things you wouldn't normally do, accept the fact that some things are different here and embrace the differences.

We have just started making some new friends and it was only the other week that I realised just how much I had missed just having a girly chat with someone. Not talking about anything in particular and yet putting the world to rights at the same time! I am now making a more conscious effort to meet others and widen our network so we don't have to rely on OH's family all the time. So maybe I'll see some of you at the next meet up!

Our old mantra to those that did question what we were doing was that we'd rather try something and regret it, than not try and live to to regret it. I still stand by that.

I really love this thread, so many good posts. If I had a dollar for every time we were asked any and all of the above I could go and buy my dream house when we step off the plane. Its really funny how people pin point what u wont have, job, home, dog, family.....in particular my niece. No I know I wont. But all of those things are available to us in Aus, with the exception of my niece. Shes not even 11 months yet but is fully versed in the use of facetime!!

I love that I come on here whenever I think, oh my lord what the hell am I doing, and see all our lovely Perth Pomies all together!!

many of us brave/stupid souls, all going to b homeless, jobless and friendless together!!

Im also lucky that we have a few friends who have made the move before us and are extremely supportive! And have been very lucky with family and friends!!!

19 days left!!!! Here comes the stomach turning part of the rollercoaster Im sure!!!

I've not really felt homesick yet. Is there something wrong with me???

The only thing I really struggle with is what's going on in school. For instance I read in the schools newsletter that Jonny had a learning journey is school. I didn't think anything of it until the teacher asked if I could make it. Its an opportunity for the children to show their parents all the work they have done. My manager was understanding and gave me the time off but the newsletter didn't mention about parents going. Same with the faction carnival (sports day). I didn't know that it was a sports day. In the UK a letter would be sent home encouraging parents to attend. Lucky I was off that day anyway. And Jonny won. Yay.

One thing I don't think I'll ever get used to is teachers using the term kid. And I don't know why it bothers me because I use the word myself. You'll hear a teacher saying 'you can collect your kid at the main entrance' or 'make sure your kid has a hat' and it just sounds wrong. Oh and I don't like this whole MERGE thing going on on the freeway. Its like a free for all. And I miss roundabouts.

I've not had any regrets about coming here but then its only been 3 months. I don't feel homesick. I don't feel the need to ask friends and family to send over certain foods or anything like that. I've found a lot of the shopping is pretty much the same standard that I'm used to. I don't seem to come on here anymore as much but I have been busy and am now finding more time for myself. I do find the Australian people a friendly bunch. I love that Jonny sits outside to eat his lunch at school and that he's got parks and sandpits and big fields to play in at breaktime. I also love that his vocabulary has increased with words that we don't use much in the UK. I love it when I've finished work early and we go to the park or beach to do homework (weather permitting). I love our little rental and I also love that my landlord lives in Bali. I love that I can have my pj's on and not have to get dressed to go and grab a bottle of wine because I can drive through (I know, lazy cow). I love the sound of crickets. I also love the fact that I'm planning which destination we'll visit for our first holiday (vacation lol).

Debs

I've not really felt homesick yet. Is there something wrong with me???

The only thing I really struggle with is what's going on in school. For instance I read in the schools newsletter that Jonny had a learning journey is school. I didn't think anything of it until the teacher asked if I could make it. Its an opportunity for the children to show their parents all the work they have done. My manager was understanding and gave me the time off but the newsletter didn't mention about parents going. Same with the faction carnival (sports day). I didn't know that it was a sports day. In the UK a letter would be sent home encouraging parents to attend. Lucky I was off that day anyway. And Jonny won. Yay.

One thing I don't think I'll ever get used to is teachers using the term kid. And I don't know why it bothers me because I use the word myself. You'll hear a teacher saying 'you can collect your kid at the main entrance' or 'make sure your kid has a hat' and it just sounds wrong. Oh and I don't like this whole MERGE thing going on on the freeway. Its like a free for all. And I miss roundabouts.

I've not had any regrets about coming here but then its only been 3 months. I don't feel homesick. I don't feel the need to ask friends and family to send over certain foods or anything like that. I've found a lot of the shopping is pretty much the same standard that I'm used to. I don't seem to come on here anymore as much but I have been busy and am now finding more time for myself. I do find the Australian people a friendly bunch. I love that Jonny sits outside to eat his lunch at school and that he's got parks and sandpits and big fields to play in at breaktime. I also love that his vocabulary has increased with words that we don't use much in the UK. I love it when I've finished work early and we go to the park or beach to do homework (weather permitting). I love our little rental and I also love that my landlord lives in Bali. I love that I can have my pj's on and not have to get dressed to go and grab a bottle of wine because I can drive through (I know, lazy cow). I love the sound of crickets. I also love the fact that I'm planning which destination we'll visit for our first holiday (vacation lol).

Debs

Fab post Debs,

so glad you have both settled in well :-)

we do miss you on here though ;-)

J x