Nurse in early stages

Guest Holly Morris

Guest Holly Morris

Hi there I am 27yr old nurse in the Uk looking to move to Australia always wanted too like yourself. I have researched the internet for nursing agencies, all seems complicated if anyone has any directions to help me I would appreciate it? Maybe info on certain places to move to? & I really have no idea how much money you should ideally save before planning to move & how much things cost like visas, move, etc. Would love any help or direction. Thank you

Firstly you need to decide which state in australia you wish to move to. A migration agent will help you with the visa process but won't help registering with AHPRA (nursing board). If you look at AHPRA they have changed the process and you now need to have a degree, you need to get a copy of university transcript where you studied as a nurse, employer references, character statement from NMC and along with ID documents have them certified by a Notary Public or Justice of Peace which is costly as is the AHPRA registration fee. The nursing agencies are the last to contact once you have AHPRA registration. Goodluck it is worth the long slog to go through the process.

hi there, welcome :-)

firstly you need to decide if you want to apply for an independent visa (189) state sponsored (190) or a employer sponsored (457) remembering that an employer sponsored visa is a temporary 4 year visa which comes with restrictions such as restricted medical care, school fees and if you lose your job you only have 90 days to find a new sponsor. DIAC immigration website is great for all the info on different visas and costings. if you are applying for a permanent visa, you will need to get that sorted before applying to ahpra and you would also need your skills assessed by anmac as part of your visa application process. anmac will send all your documents directly to ahpra if you ask them, saving you getting everything verified again. Travelchic has just gone through this process and I'm sure would help if you ask her. google anmac and ahpra for more information, and just keep asking away as there's always someone who knows!

bean xx

http://www.immi.gov.au/Pages/Welcome.aspx

Also as you are 27, remember there is the working holiday visa but that depends on whether you want to make this a short term move or a more permanent one. A WHV is valid for up to 2 years (if you do some regional work in the first year) however, it is not permanent. It is cheaper and quicker to go for a WHV or a 457 (if you can get sponsorship) however if you want to live permanently in Australia then you are best looking at a permanent visa.

Train2Gap have some good advice and webinars with lots of info.

Healthcare Australia have lots of info on the working holiday visas and agency work.

Firstly you need to decide which state in australia you wish to move to. A migration agent will help you with the visa process but won't help registering with AHPRA (nursing board). If you look at AHPRA they have changed the process and you now need to have a degree, you need to get a copy of university transcript where you studied as a nurse, employer references, character statement from NMC and along with ID documents have them certified by a Notary Public or Justice of Peace which is costly as is the AHPRA registration fee. The nursing agencies are the last to contact once you have AHPRA registration. Goodluck it is worth the long slog to go through the process.

JKM where did you hear that AHPRA are looking for Degree registered nurses only? A UK registered diploma nurse is equivalent to a Australian degree registered nurse. I know there were rumours a few weeks ago that this may be the move AHPRA are making however I don't think this decision has been made. Simply there are more criteria that need to be evidenced such as more specific guidelines in meeting pharmacology etc. If you have evidence that discounts that please share it with me, but I wouldn't want lots of Diploma registered nurses being put off.

Edited by jac2011

I've also believed that diploma is being viewed as equivalent for degree with AHPRA for nursing (due to the course that nurses undertake in the UK).

To the OP first thing is really to get things going with your skills assessment and AHPRA registration. Many jobs are being advertised (also seen this in NSW) were it says preference will be given to Australian permanent residents and Citizens - it doesn't rule out sponsorship but these are expensive to the company especially if people decide to return to the UK. So if they're faced with lots of suitable applicants the sponsored one will be further down the list.

Hi I'm in the same boat actually, I'm a nurse in UK hoping to make the move to Perth end of this year, I can only go on my experience so far, I'm hoping to get the 189 skilled migrant visa and have spent around £500 already with the whole application to register with AHPRA and once that has gone through I'm expecting to spend another £2000 for the visa itself but it is a permanent one so I can come and go indefinitely, I'm hoping to work agency for healthcare Australia to give me the freedom to enjoy Australia. I did find the expo DownUnderlive in London helpful, if you can get to any of those kind of things they have migration agents giving talks etc although I'm not using one for the move as thy cost thousands but you can get tips from them.. Good luck keep in touch

JKM where did you hear that AHPRA are looking for Degree registered nurses only? A UK registered diploma nurse is equivalent to a Australian degree registered nurse. I know there were rumours a few weeks ago that this may be the move AHPRA are making however I don't think this decision has been made. Simply there are more criteria that need to be evidenced such as more specific guidelines in meeting pharmacology etc. If you have evidence that discounts that please share it with me, but I wouldn't want lots of Diploma registered nurses being put off.

Hi Jac,

Have you any more information on this? These posts have made me feel sick! We are having survey done on our house tomorrow! We have PR visas and are only waiting for AHPRA, (I'm a diploma nurse with 20 yrs experience) I am the primary applicant, and if I can't work as a nurse, we'll have to put a stop to it!

So worried, have emailed AHPRA, hope for something positive!!

All the best

Tracey

Hi just to put your reminds at rest, I have also got a diploma in adult nursing and have been applying to AHPRA for registration and have very recently received letters from them explaining that in Feb they changed the way they assess internationally qualified nurses but have only asked me for additional documents from my university that's all, they've said nothing about needing a degree otherwise I'd be stuffed too!! X

I heard the degree information from someone currently applying via AHPRA so they were obviously incorrectly informed and I was surprised at the change. It was not an intentional rumour or wrote to upset anyone and having been through the process myself know how hard it is and how hard we work for nursing qualifications.

Hi, so I thought my AHPRA reg was about to be through (and it may) I've been told that my patience is greatly appreciated, and then a link to the new criteria was posted in which it indicates that a template letter has to be sent to Uni who will then verify info about the course. He hasn't asked me to do this, do you think I need too? It's just that I'm in Perth now and I'm thinking of all the further delays this will take!!

Hi, so I thought my AHPRA reg was about to be through (and it may) I've been told that my patience is greatly appreciated, and then a link to the new criteria was posted in which it indicates that a template letter has to be sent to Uni who will then verify info about the course. He hasn't asked me to do this, do you think I need too? It's just that I'm in Perth now and I'm thinking of all the further delays this will take!!

I would just ask the person that sent the link directly if you need to supply any more information. it's a nightmare when you think you're sorted and then the goalposts move! good luck xx