House Building Queries - Open Thread

Lucky you, w e still waiting fir brickies, this is the 8th week, builder seriously taking the p1ss, not happy:mad:

Pi know what it is like Jen. We waited a fair while and then when it started we could only get one guy working on his own. So the build took a month instead of the normal week. It will happen soon.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant Stormy!! Daughter and SIL finally got their Land Title this week after a 14 week delay by the Developer and Landgate!!! They were initially very annoyed, but it has meant they could actually save some more they hadn't budgeted on and have finally had their long delayed honeymoon! We are all excited for the next step!

Thanks guys. The view stays for ever as the water laps our boundary wall. The Roos come down to the water on an evening to drink and there are loads of birds on the water.

That is great news Ross. The build works can finally start. One tip for you. Getting a telephone line / Internet to a new build can be expensive. It looks like we will have to pay about $1000.

Anne, the little fella is recovering well thanks. It will take a long time to get him back to full fitness. But he is doing well and eating like a lion.

Great news for both of you Stormy and Rossy!

Stormy - that view is amazing. You are very lucky!

We have also been making progress. We had pre-start last week and decided on everything. We got our costings on the day and have signed everything off. We've spent a small fortune but we knew we were going to and so got everything we wanted (and it actually came in under budget!)

Unfortunately our final drawings will take a little longer than normal as we had to get them to move the building envelope and house placement. Where they had put it meant that they wanted us to chop down a huge Red Gum - which wasn't going to happen, so we told them to move the house instead!

Well done Nikki. It is a huge step. Our prestart feels like it was ages ago. The plasterers started today and will do the first coat over the next 3 days.

Well done on keeping the Gum Tree.

Next step will be the site works and putting the slab down. It is though still taking a long time to arrange bricklayers as you can see in the other posts.

Finally we have brickies, they started yesterday, thats about 3 days short of 8 weeks, that just goes down to the builder for not paying adequate retainers or rates, other builders like Dale Alkock dont seem to be affected, they are obviously retaining there brikkie crews and paying better rates.

Nikki, good news on the progress, things are moving along quite nicely now, the conservationist in me is glad you kept the gumtree, but the survivilist in me would cut it down, gum trees go up like a roman candle n a fire, i wouldnt want that any where near the house.

VS, your building seem to be moving along at a rate of knots, are there any more surprises i need to know about, like a shortage of roofers, if so i will go get a prescription for some prozac, my poor "Liason" agent is no doubt over me by now :biglaugh:

Has anyone signed up to the home one forum?

The pest guy came and did the termite spray on Thursday and yesterday the plasterers started. They said they will be finished - first coat on Tuesday. Had an email from the builder to say the next stage will be the ceiling fixers and the glaziers.

Druid, start speaking to telephone providers as the bricks don't take long and once the roof is up, you are supposed to get the telephone line / Internet installed so the sparky can connect them up. speak to neighbours about what they have. We have e-wire which means a $1000 connection bill. Not happy, but it is that or an aerial for the TV.

I'm on the H1 forum. It's been a brilliant resource and half the reason my pre start bill was so high!! It's so big though that I'm quite selective in terms of what I read or subscribe to otherwise it would just suck away all my time!!

I know what you mean about the gum. We had to clear a few when we cut the driveway so we've had a few bonfires and boy do those things go. Unfortunately about 25% of the block is red gum. The rest is Jarrah, grass trees and other things (which I don't know the name of yet!) that also go up pretty quick.

On the flip side We're not in a fire prone area and OH is a water carter with a big water truck which will live at home, so that gives me a bit of comfort!

Hope everything goes a bit more smoothly for you from here on in!

The pest guy came and did the termite spray on Thursday and yesterday the plasterers started. They said they will be finished - first coat on Tuesday. Had an email from the builder to say the next stage will be the ceiling fixers and the glaziers.

Druid, start speaking to telephone providers as the bricks don't take long and once the roof is up, you are supposed to get the telephone line / Internet installed so the sparky can connect them up. speak to neighbours about what they have. We have e-wire which means a $1000 connection bill. Not happy, but it is that or an aerial for the TV.

Im hoping things go a bit smoother now too.

We are on a "fibre" estate, every service is already provided in a pit on our sidewalk, even foxtel when we sign up with the likes of e wire, we have Intelligent home coming to smart wire the house and as part of the building package they are going to lay a conduit from the house to the pit, so im hoping thats all covered

How about DIY? We renovated completely our house here in the UK and it looks great. Things like fitting kitchen yourself, tiling and bathroom fitting etc... is it worth doing it yourself to save costs? I'd prefer to invest in electrics, good worktop, flooring, landscaping, things that require experiece and professionals to do in a fraction of time.

I definatelly won't pay for someone to paint walls LOL!

Thanks

Tree are issues with renovating here. First, it is expensive and any trades you need to organise are difficult to arrange.

You our need to be careful with the possibility of asbestos - it was a very common material in use and so many older houses have it which if you encounter it is going to mean massive costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today, we started thinking about the garden and went to get prices for turf. We will have a fairly normal size garden - back is 9m depth by 17 across. And front smaller. So, something you need to think about is the cost. This is showing to be a not cheap thing. The cost of the turf with delivery and some fertiliser alone is looking at $3k. Top soil another grand. Then there are shrubs and things. Pebbles are $20 for a small bag. I would say a fairly normal garden I would budget $6-10k.

image.jpg

Well, today, we started thinking about the garden and went to get prices for turf. We will have a fairly normal size garden - back is 9m depth by 17 across. And front smaller. So, something you need to think about is the cost. This is showing to be a not cheap thing. The cost of the turf with delivery and some fertiliser alone is looking at $3k. Top soil another grand. Then there are shrubs and things. Pebbles are $20 for a small bag. I would say a fairly normal garden I would budget $6-10k.

9x17 :swoon: I wish, try 4x13, that wont cost much to landscape, you could have a huge pool, that will do away with mowing the grass :biglaugh:

This is the build progress, 10 weeks after slab down :mad:

Blimey VS I would be thinking "grass seed"!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1862[/ATTACH]

9x17 :swoon: I wish, try 4x13, that wont cost much to landscape, you could have a huge pool, that will do away with mowing the grass :biglaugh:

This is the build progress, 10 weeks after slab down :mad:

it is coming along! Once the brickwork is done, things move pretty well from our experience. We have ceilings now and the first coat of plaster and the second coat of plaster this week coming. We are hoping to be at lock up with internal doors by end of the month.

We do intend to put a pool in eventually. But that will be a loooonnng way down the road!

Oh my, curtains here are damned expensive!!!

we are only planning on initially getting curtains or any form of window covering for the new place for our bedroom.

So, today we thought we would pop down to a few places to get some ideas on price. Now, we just want very plane curtains. Two walls are very much glass, so we need one pair to cover 2.9m of glass and another 3.2m of glass. Now, I thought - in my nativity - that I would be looking at about $700. Given we just want very plane (the house is fairly minimalist in design). Nope. Prepare to gulp.......

$2550 for the cheapest. Not including the rail and things. Yes you read that right - almost $3k for two pair of curtains.

I asked what what assay was used as these things must be made of gold!

we may become known as the Dawesville flashers at that price!