House Building Queries - Open Thread

@verystormy What length is the drop? What type of fabric have you gone for? Do you know how much it is a metre off the roll? Are they just regular gathered or are they triple pleat or something? Are you going for a special type of lining to combat heat/light/insulation? Are they ready made or commissioned?

They sounds blooming expensive. You know you can just get ready made and adapt them, if needs be.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are blackout curtains - one of the windows faces East, so need to be as I wake up as soon as light comes into a room. But, these are the normal curtains sold for bedrooms. Not only that, but they are the cheaper ones as most people buy double ones that have a blackout and a seperate sheer that lets light in during the day but acts like net curtains. Luckily we don't need anything for privacy.

This is to buy made to measure. We are going to investigate ready made and see if we can get them to fit. The windows are the hight of normal patio doors.

I spoke to to the next door neighbour who has recently moved in and has fitted roller blinds throughout the house. They are "ok" nothing special. Just material pull down rollers. I was expecting him to say it had cost about $1k for the entire house. Nope - $9k!!

Back on the building side of things I am STILL waiting for my final drawings. This administration part seems to take forever while they pass our file round from department to department!

That is taking a while, but I can understand the hold up, as they will need to check how that affects the connections to the services. Also, the shire approval is a lot slower for rural properties due to environmental regs.

I it's any consolation, once the bricklayers start, things move fairly well. Our slab went down 23rd June. But we didn't have bricks finished till 6th September. But now things are motoring. Windows went in yesterday and plasterers are there today doing the outer coat (first coat went on a couple of weeks ago). We are hoping to be at lock up by end of month - that includes internal doors and kitchen and things. So, take heart. It seems to drag now, but will soon be steaming ahead.

You can take orders ha ha.

Stuff the orders for wallpaper, buy a sewing machine and make curtains, those prices are scary, but that doesnt surprise me for Perth :shocked:

We are just going with boring old roller blinds, less places for the spiders and mosquitos to hide, we quite like the doubled up day/night blinds, so some rooms will have those

• 3 weeks later...

We have achieved lock up.

Things that have happens in the last couple of weeks while I have been away:

front door fitted so lock up

internal doors started to be fitted

cielings painted

plastering finished

shelving to pantry and wardrobes installed.

We we are hoping kitchen units will be fitted in the next few days.

We have achieved lock up.

Things that have happens in the last couple of weeks while I have been away:

front door fitted so lock up

internal doors started to be fitted

cielings painted

plastering finished

shelving to pantry and wardrobes installed.

We we are hoping kitchen units will be fitted in the next few days.

Wont be long before you have your house warming party.