Is it possible to get a Tax File Number while still living in the UK?

Celts

I've just been to Perth to activate my visa and pick up my bank cards. The bank suggested I apply for a TFN so I don't have to pay tax on the interest on my account, but I didn't think this was possible while I'm still living in the UK?

Dont think it is possible, we opened bank accounts etc on activation of Visa and they could be managed online from UK on our return whilst selling up assetts, but could not apply until we had a fixed address in OZ when we arrived. They take about 4 weeks to arrive, so if you have your visa and staying in oz for a min of 5 weeks you may get away with application. The banks deduct tax on interest at source at 40% if money in oz account, but as soon as we advised them of TFN interest prev deducted was put straight back into the account...:jiggy:

I was going to set up mine and my husbands TFN online before we got out there, using our friends address (where we will be living) but it says you have to be in Aus to do it.....I daren't risk it just in case they could see we hadn't actually got out there yet (our visas are unvalidated.)

Anyone else risked it and set it up before?

you can claim any tax you pay, back from the bank that deducted it. We had similar scenario and when we had finally got our TFN's we went along to our branch and they refunded it to us there and then! I think its a little trickier if you are due some from a previous tax year. We arrived in Aug and claimed it back in Oct so we had a few months interest which was taxed, but got it back no problem.