Plane crash over Ukraine

MrsM

Has anyone seen the news about the passenger plane flying over Ukraine?

Makes me nervous because thats a popular 'cheaper' route for flying to Australia - UK to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to KL (the route of the plane which crashed) the KL onto Australia.

So sad when you hear news like this.

The airline will be fine after this act of terrorism, they just pointed a missile and shot it down. It could have been any airline over flying on that air corridor, like a public freeway in the sky.

The world is going mad. Who ever takes blame for this one shall be in the deepest of poo.

Sad times for all involved.

The airline will be fine after this act of terrorism, they just pointed a missile and shot it down. It could have been any airline over flying on that air corridor, like a public freeway in the sky.

The world is going mad. Who ever takes blame for this one shall be in the deepest of poo.

Sad times for all involved.

Indeed but I dont think I would fly into or out of KL any time soon .....................

There was a phone transcript on channel 24 news of a Ukraine rebel speaking to someone I think a Russian military chap the word "spies" on board. It sounded like justification that it was ok if there was a spy or spies the flight. Israel have moved ground forces into Gaza - dont mess with the Israeli's over the supposed said chosen land. The world police - The Americans and their lap dog countries will no doubt will be involved in some respect. I fear massive world unrest presently not good for us humans. Any way on a lighter note im off out with said dog for a trot happy weekend everyone .................. be safe out there dont fly Malaysia air :cute:

Indeed but I dont think I would fly into or out of KL any time soon .....................

There was a phone transcript on channel 24 news of a Ukraine rebel speaking to someone I think a Russian military chap the word "spies" on board. It sounded like justification that it was ok if there was a spy or spies the flight. Israel have moved ground forces into Gaza - dont mess with the Israeli's over the supposed said chosen land. The world police - The Americans and their lap dog countries will no doubt will be involved in some respect. I fear massive world unrest presently not good for us humans. Any way on a lighter note im off out with said dog for a trot happy weekend everyone .................. be safe out there dont fly Malaysia air :cute:

Would you fly with Singapore Airlines to Europe or British Airways to UK? They all, up to a few hours ago, flew over the same place.

Would you fly with Singapore Airlines to Europe or British Airways to UK? They all, up to a few hours ago, flew over the same place.

To be perfectly honest I would have to give it a lot of thought. I do understand the saying " wrong place wrong time". It is a truly sad sad time. After listening to news 24 I do think the culprits are absolutely s"£$%g themselves that is if the recording is true. Even if they are brought to justice its no comfort to the families of the people who died on board that plane. A loss of life is tragic in any circumstance for the loved ones left behind. As always there the whole truth will never be told.

Sky news reported that 6 from the UK were on board.

I know it was an act of terrorism, but airlines had been advised to avoid that area due to the ongoing conflict. So MA put cost before safety imo.

Bad press twice in a year doesnt fill me with confidence to fly with them - even if it was outwith their control....

Sky news reported that 6 from the UK were on board.

I know it was an act of terrorism, but airlines had been advised to avoid that area due to the ongoing conflict. So MA put cost before safety imo.

Bad press twice in a year doesnt fill me with confidence to fly with them - even if it was outwith their control....

The airlines were given the ok above a certain altitude to fly over Ukraine as the threat was more from smaller shoulder fired missiles which don't go too high. Unfortunatley it looks like someone fired a very sophisticated truck mounted radar guided missile which only military aircraft would have been able to see or do anything about it. I really doubt they would have flown directly over just to save a few thousand bucks worth of fuel. They were in the right place at the wrong time being mistaken by a bunch of amatuer soldiers who know very little about what they have done. Its just very sad that it is the same airline that suffered an aircrash earlier in the year. Hopefully after the initial knee jerk reactions people will see that despite these incidents they are a very capable, professional and safe airline who have lost 30 of its staff within 6 months through no fault of their own.

Edited by Plimthing

When we flew here with Singapore Airlines I remember being surprised the plane had flown over the Ukraine.

Everyone who flies with emirates from UK to Dubai flies over all of Iraq and directly over baghdad or at least 1 of its major cities and probably doesnt think about it. I guess you would expect this kind of thing over there rather than here.....

Everyone who flies with emirates from UK to Dubai flies over all of Iraq and directly over baghdad or at least 1 of its major cities and probably doesnt think about it. I guess you would expect this kind of thing over there rather than here.....

Tbh Plimthing I'd have been surprised about that too when there was a war and I'd be surprised again now that things have escalated again.

Edited by Lou8670

The airlines were given the ok above a certain altitude to fly over Ukraine as the threat was more from smaller shoulder fired missiles which don't go too high. Unfortunatley it looks like someone fired a very sophisticated truck mounted radar guided missile which only military aircraft would have been able to see or do anything about it. I really doubt they would have flown directly over just to save a few thousand bucks worth of fuel. They were in the right place at the wrong time being mistaken by a bunch of amatuer soldiers who know very little about what they have done. Its just very sad that it is the same airline that suffered an aircrash earlier in the year. Hopefully after the initial knee jerk reactions people will see that despite these incidents they are a very capable, professional and safe airline who have lost 30 of its staff within 6 months through no fault of their own.

Yeah, I just spotted the altitude in one of the news reports. So I take the comment back.

Its such sad news for everyone involved - my thoughts go out to them. I still think that even though it's no fault of their own, people may avoid them.