Car purchasing

MrPomPom

I've looked at a few sites including autotrader to purchase a second hand vehicle. I've seen some adverts state "exc gov charges". Can anyone enlighten me on what these are and how the process works for buying a second hand vehicle. Many thanks.

Stamp duty is chargeable on all cars that are bought and sold.... Except new cars from a dealer where it's included..... It starts at around 2.5% of price and there's an online calculator.....

I'm in car trade and can help if u want to get in touch no problem at all

Thanks for this Allan. Could you let me know whether I have to have an Australian driving licence BEFORE I can purchase a vehicle?

Stamp duty is chargeable on all cars that are bought and sold.... Except new cars from a dealer where it's included..... It starts at around 2.5% of price and there's an online calculator.....

I'm in car trade and can help if u want to get in touch no problem at all

you can buy a new car or a used car WITHOUT a WA license, they just ask for extra ID. Having a WA license is very handy for everything i've found...not just buying a car lol !!!!!

Himagain Bobopaulsy. Could you also let me know what running costs I can expect to pay for on a second hand vehicle. In the UK we have an annual road fund licence, annual MOT (all cars over 3 years old) and usual servicing requirements. How do this compare to Perth?

Hi mate, you have annual rego which is similar to Road Tax. You dont have MOT's here as long as rego does not expire or the car is unlicensed. If car is unlicensed it needs to go over the pits... Same as MOT. All cars come with government funded 3rd party insurance, up to you to get fully comp but not a necessity, however I'd advise it

• 1 year later...

You pay nothing other than Rego once you bought the car. Unless I'm mistaken? No insurance requirements etc. No MOT requirement, maybe ask for proof of service. They do like a 99 ooint check here.

I have two cars and it would cost about $70 (£35) to fill one but if I put that in my other car it would last twice as long, almost. Depending on the car you buy, it considered cheaper to run a car hee compared to the uk.

Edited by Anthony

How do you swap UK licence over to WA licence? How much does it cost?

I was planning on buying a banger when I first arrive, like $2K. I take it there is no point getting the extra insurance for this?

Thanks

The 3rd party insurance that you get with rego is 3rd party person. I.E. if you run into another car the people in that car will be covered by your 3rd party insurance but any damage to their car will not. You will be liable for that, if they are insured then their insurance will pay out to repair their car but the insurance company will pursue you for the money.

If someone runs into you and you both aren't insured then you have to chase them for the money, where as, if you're insured your insurance company will pay out for your repairs and they will chase the other party.

I find insurance is pretty cheap, I pay around $600 a year fully comp on a 2009 4.0l Ford Falcon Ute and $600 on a 2011 2.4 IX35