is it gonna be tight ! ouch

pegg

Hey guys,

after ages of contacting hospitals false promises ........... we have decided to go with a migration agent with a permanent resident visa, weve wasted enough time!!!!

Anyhow just need our minds putting at rest once more - i reckon that i would be getting a salary of 80,000 but other half will be attending to kids etc but is thinking of getting part time work .

So can we do it ??? we dont want a big house or a big car ...... just want to enjoy the lifestyle.

As usual all comments so welcome - dont hold back !!! :o)

Thankyou

There is a salary calculator if you type it in google. You put your salary in and it works out your take home pay.

I will be a nurse on the lower scale and initially I will be the main earner (approx. $65k I hope with shift allowance) for 4-5 months. I know it will be tight but we will be in Australia and as long as we can survive till my OH can look for work we will be happy. If you are PR there is also family tax credits A & B.

Just to give you an idea... $80,000 a year is.... weekly $1169,46... fortnightly $2338,92.... Monthly$5067,67 with tax free threshold

weekly $1032.46 ...fortnightly $2064.92... Monthly $4473.67 without tax free threshold

remember to get your TFN (tax file number) as soon as possible as you will be paying a higher rate until you do. Remember with the tax free threshold you have to tick the box get someone from HR to go through it with you... it just means you pay less tax straight away on your wages, but if you don't mind taking less home everytime you get paid you can use it and get it back at the end of the tax year in a lump sum. this doesn't cover over time and any other perks you might get. hope it helps ...

Hey guys,

after ages of contacting hospitals false promises ........... we have decided to go with a migration agent with a permanent resident visa, weve wasted enough time!!!!

Anyhow just need our minds putting at rest once more - i reckon that i would be getting a salary of 80,000 but other half will be attending to kids etc but is thinking of getting part time work .

So can we do it ??? we dont want a big house or a big car ...... just want to enjoy the lifestyle.

As usual all comments so welcome - dont hold back !!! :o)

Thankyou

What does your wife do? The reason I ask is many ( myself included ) think we'll get a little part time job to help with the finances but it's exceptionally difficult to get one as many are in the same boat. We as a family of 3 with a relatively small mortgage would not be able to get by on that. Realistically I say with 4 of you at least $100,000 is a "normal" salary and that's not living the high life be any means.

oooh dear ..... getting abit worried now !!!

wifes a peadiatric cardiac nurse ( sister, band 7) and i am a bricklayer , nice little business in Uk built my own house etc - also a gym instructor / self defence coach ....... however we just have a feeling that Australia is for us ..... I am not shy of hard work and will do anything - however our little girl will be 3 and our son 12 , so i will need to take in consideration looking after them - no family like back home ;o)

Any thanks for the posts guys .... it really does help , like to hear the negatives and positives to get full picture ..... thanks again

We've just got here and I can't believe how expensive it is! There is no way we could survive on $80k a year. I've been looking at child benefit/family allowance and the lower threshold (I.e. below that amount you get full benefit) is $180k! That kind of says it all to me...

We've just got here and I can't believe how expensive it is! There is no way we could survive on $80k a year. I've been looking at child benefit/family allowance and the lower threshold (I.e. below that amount you get full benefit) is $180k! That kind of says it all to me...

Whoah !

This is all getting kinda scary .... so just to clarify - basically 180k is a very low wage therefore entitled to full benefits ?? this is throwing a right spanner in the works .......

........ but as ever thanks for feedback

no, $180k is def not a low wage but maybe you can think whether you qualify for child benefit in the UK as some sort of comparison. Just dont underestimate how exp Perth is....other cities apparently not as bad.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

oooh dear ..... getting abit worried now !!!

wifes a peadiatric cardiac nurse ( sister, band 7) and i am a bricklayer , nice little business in Uk built my own house etc - also a gym instructor / self defence coach ....... however we just have a feeling that Australia is for us ..... I am not shy of hard work and will do anything - however our little girl will be 3 and our son 12 , so i will need to take in consideration looking after them - no family like back home ;o)

Any thanks for the posts guys .... it really does help , like to hear the negatives and positives to get full picture ..... thanks again

Ah sounds like you both have in demand professions and life skills, you certainly should be able to top up with those interests. Good luck.

I agree you both have in demand jobs, brickies can potentially earn a lot of money here and I know some nurses who work evenings when oh at home so you should be fine. As for buying you need to have been here for at least a year before you can buy I think or im sure we do anyway. It is expensive here but we try to work things out by asking how many hours work my husband would have to do to pay for it. Might sound silly to some people but it works for us.

Hi Pegg, have you got a date for going over ? we go over mid March, my husband a brickie too and apparently it's booming just now although still have the same money worries how much is going to be enough. I've always worked doing admin work type work here in the UK ( although now wished I trained and had better qualifications behind me !! ) I'll probably need to work full time to help fund our's and the kids ( 13 & 14 ) lifestyles, hope it works out for you guys :)

Whoah !

This is all getting kinda scary .... so just to clarify - basically 180k is a very low wage therefore entitled to full benefits ?? this is throwing a right spanner in the works .......

........ but as ever thanks for feedback

That's how I read what Laz said, but I'm pretty sure it's not right, if 180k is a very low wage then I would be over the moon happy to be living on a very low wage! Maybe 180k is the limit at which you will get no benefits at all? I think the upper threshold to get maximum assistance is more like 50k, then it is means tested from there...

If you want to claim any sort of family assistance, child care benefit, child care rebate, in my experience you will just about need a PhD to figure out how centrelink works and how to go about it :arghh:

If you get a nursing job within WA Health, then you will be able to salary package, which gives you an extra 9k tax free.

$180k is an exceptional salary. I think there are some who have wildly unrealistic expectations and a great many more who've lived beyond their means or been fooled into believing the period of growth would never end.

We currently live on around $80k and life is amazing. We are very thrifty though, don't want for much and enjoy the simple things. Whilst we have eaten at Restaurant Amuse and spent $200 per head for a meal that's exceptional for us. Tomorrow night the Brazilian food truck will be parked on South Beach. I'll take some beers, meet friends, eat a superb meal for less than $20 and watch the sun go down over the Indian Ocean. That is an experience I treasure, I appreciate every moment like that here and I'd rather do that ten times a year than eat at Amuse once.