is it gonna be tight ! ouch

pegg

Before we left England i noticed a lot things getting expentive.I find here we go out more for meals then we did in England.There is always offers on.I have picked up some cheap clothes. Like everyone says you live in your lifestyle that you can afford.

The $180k is probably because it's the top tax bracket (at 45%). I've not looked into benefits at all, but I suppose they just use the same bands to make it easier.

$18,200 - 19%

$37,000 - 32.5%

$80,000 - 37%

$180,000 - 45%

So i would assume that benefit allowances are split into the same groups, with nothing being allowed in the top band.

i guess my post was a bit confusing...just speaking from our own circumstances, we didnt qualify for child benefit in the UK yet here i imagine we will get the full amt - 180k seems a high salary to earn before your child benefit reduces! i am so pleased to hear families live on less than half that amt. i am going to have to find thrifty ways to shop...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Gosh, all this talk of, "is this an ok amount of cash?" etc and house prices, rental/morgages, makes me really worry about whether we can afford to make the move ( we're going for sure, I can't not, after it taking so bloody long to do). we haven't really done any maths of what we can afford etc, as we won't really know until my other half gets a job, so depending on his salary, depends on alot really....Just hoping that if we carry on like we do here, on a strict budget, surely we won't go hungry and eventually we might be able to save enough for a house.....hope we are not being naive. But surely not everyone that emigrates arrives with wads of cash and is able to buy a whopper of a house immediatley. Come to think of it, surely there are average folk living and working there too, that are doing ok??

Were average .... and im sure were gonna be fine ... as im sure you will be too :o)

Cannot wait to be able to walk on those beaches and stare at those stars ............. Fab times are comming !!!!!!!

Gosh, all this talk of, "is this an ok amount of cash?" etc and house prices, rental/morgages, makes me really worry about whether we can afford to make the move ( we're going for sure, I can't not, after it taking so bloody long to do). we haven't really done any maths of what we can afford etc, as we won't really know until my other half gets a job, so depending on his salary, depends on alot really....Just hoping that if we carry on like we do here, on a strict budget, surely we won't go hungry and eventually we might be able to save enough for a house.....hope we are not being naive. But surely not everyone that emigrates arrives with wads of cash and is able to buy a whopper of a house immediatley. Come to think of it, surely there are average folk living and working there too, that are doing ok??

Perth is a different place than it was 8 to 10 years ago. It is very expensive! Just don't expect to have the same standard of living you have in the UK. As people have said, there's free things you can do instead of eating out etc.

We've just got here and I can't believe how expensive it is! There is no way we could survive on $80k a year. I've been looking at child benefit/family allowance and the lower threshold (I.e. below that amount you get full benefit) is $180k! That kind of says it all to me...

I'm sure that's not right. I thought you no longer get the family allowance if earning over $130ish. It's certainly the case with us and I know it's less the more you earn up to about that amount. I didn't think it was deemed to be a "low income benefit"; more of an allowance to rebate some of your tax to allow for the fact you have children to bring up (as there's no allowance for this in the tax rate like there is in some countries).

Plenty of people manage on $60k. Some things are more expensive but we found a lot of other things aren't (but then we were from a very expensive place to live in the UK!)

Edited by Lou8670

We've just got here and I can't believe how expensive it is! There is no way we could survive on $80k a year. I've been looking at child benefit/family allowance and the lower threshold (I.e. below that amount you get full benefit) is $180k! That kind of says it all to me...

I am not sure where you have got this information, but we do not earn near $180k and we no longer get child benefit. We did get some type of child benefit, not any other kind of benefit, when we came over in July 2013 on a 176 pr visa we knew we could not claim anything for the first two years and had not planned on doing so anyway, but were advised we could get child benefit this was in the Nov, after being here for four months. Hubby was in no rush to find work, and we had made financial plans to enable him to take time off when we first got here to help settle the kids, find a family home and then find a job that suited him. It took Pete 7 months to find work, so we were effectively living off our savings for 7 months which was fine. When Pete started work in the Feb the child benefits payments dropped to less than half what we were getting and then from July the start of the new tax year all payments ceased.

Everyone's lifestyle is completely different and so what income they need to "survive" is different.

At the moment we are financially worse off than we were in the UK, but that is ok, as we get more family time which was the whole reason for moving here. Back in the UK Pete was out the door by 6am in the morning, home around 7.30 to 8.00pm, have dinner, then sit in the office doing paperwork etc for work until the small hours. Here we have a much better work/life ratio and I have hardly spent any money during this long school holiday, as you don't need to, picnic lunch and the day spent on the beach or at the park, the weather does make a difference as during the whole school holidays there has been no rain, and if its too hot, we have spent the day indoors playing games, then gone to the beach in the evening.

We are very lucky where we live and at least two/three times a week we walk down to the sea front, when Pete comes home from work, take a gentle stroll along the sea front then sit and people watch whilst having a coffee, all very relaxed and laid back and the exact reason why we moved here.

You are right, I got the figure wrong! It's $150k.

'If you are a 2 parent family in which your primary earner has an annual adjusted taxable income of more than $150,000 you will not be eligible for FTB Part B. This is regardless of the lower income of the other parent.'

i have only looked into the allowance with respect to our situation which is 2 parent family with one income. I still think an upper limit of $150k is high compared to the UK. Also, it's an allowance (not a rebate which is a refund of tax paid) so it's extra income to help families.

You are right, I got the figure wrong! It's $150k.

'If you are a 2 parent family in which your primary earner has an annual adjusted taxable income of more than $150,000 you will not be eligible for FTB Part B. This is regardless of the lower income of the other parent.'

i have only looked into the allowance with respect to our situation which is 2 parent family with one income. I still think an upper limit of $150k is high compared to the UK. Also, it's an allowance (not a rebate which is a refund of tax paid) so it's extra income to help families.

Speak slowly for the dim ones in the room like me but I don't understand what you're saying. $150k is a stonking amount of cash, a huge income so surely it's reasonable that someone with this income shouldn't receive benefits? Or am I missing something?

Speak slowly for the dim ones in the room like me but I don't understand what you're saying. $150k is a stonking amount of cash, a huge income so surely it's reasonable that someone with this income shouldn't receive benefits? Or am I missing something?

It's an allowance not a benefit.....

it it looks to me from what I've read that up to $150k (one income family) you would receive some child benefit. So my point is that yes, that seems a stocking amount of money...so if you earned $130k, for example, you'd still get some child benefit paid. It just seems a high cut off compared to the UK (was it £50k?).

sorry, ive probably taken this post off track but I've just arrived and this is on my list of things to sort out...

$150k is a stonking amount of cash

Really? I recon that'd go quite quick with a few kids, nice house, boat, and a pair of nice cars, and on a single income. It's about 8700 a month after tax.

I see what my mates have to spend with theirs. I'm not at all jealous. My V8 is cheap compared.

Really? I recon that'd go quite quick with a few kids, nice house, boat, and a pair of nice cars, and on a single income.

That's where I'm going wrong then -

2 kids

Nice but small, old house, rented so no maintenance

Boat - nope

Nice cars - One Nissan Cube 1.4, one 250cc bike

Clearly I'm not doing this Aussie lifestyle thing right then :biggrin:

2 kids

Boat - nope

Awe I think you're doing it just right Porty! Enjoying life :wink: It's not all about how big your boat is! Hubby just sent me an interesting story about some fishermen. Ever heard it?

Hi Porty, I think you are doing it just right too.

I was having this same discussion today with friends and I came to the conclusion that I am very happy in my little house, with just enough room for us five, with no swimming pool, no boat and no fancy cars. I did not come here to clean a big house, maintain a pool and the up keep you have to do on a boat, not saying that if I won the lottery I would not buy these things, as if I had that much money I'm sure I would have a housekeeper, pool man etc, but I have learnt since being here it is the little things that bring me pleasure, and I came here to get away from keeping up with the Jones'.

Hi Porty, I think you are doing it just right too.

I was having this same discussion today with friends and I came to the conclusion that I am very happy in my little house, with just enough room for us five, with no swimming pool, no boat and no fancy cars. I did not come here to clean a big house, maintain a pool and the up keep you have to do on a boat, not saying that if I won the lottery I would not buy these things, as if I had that much money I'm sure I would have a housekeeper, pool man etc, but I have learnt since being here it is the little things that bring me pleasure, and I came here to get away from keeping up with the Jones'.

Well said.Its nice just to go out have a picnic or BBQ and know the weather is going be good

We moved over three years ago with £30k, which I took off the UK mortgage as we didnt sell the house in time, I sold my UK car which paid for the 40ft container, I sold one of my bikes which paid for shipping the dog over, i sold my other bike which bought our airtickets, I had a job to go to which was paying $80k year, the £30k went down rapidly when we first arrived, 6 weeks in holiday rental, $15k on a car, then all the bills from clearing the container etc, bond and two weeks rent in advance etc etc, the first three months you just haemorrhage cash, the salary from my job was a joke, after tax half was being taken on the rent, and that was nothing flash, a 4x2 on a tiny plot in a suburb of Armadale, which is one of the cheapest rental suburbs around, the other half of the money we lived on, the £30k was almost gone, just enough left to fly back to the UK if things didnt improve, after 3 months I told my boss he could stick his visa and his job, im off back to the UK, he instantly gave me a massive pay rise so things got easier, it took the wife 8 months to get a job, shes an accountant, i changed job two years later and got another massive pay rise, only now are we able to maintain the UK standard of living here in Perth, we still havnt been able to sell the house in the UK, we had it rented out for most of the time, inbetween tenants we tried to sell it, 9 months later when all the money was gone paying the mortgage & bills we are back to renting it out again, over the 9 months we dropped the price by £40k at the agents suggestion, still no sale, things are pretty tough in Perth if you dont have you UK savings and house money, we have started to build our own place now, we saved my wifes entire salary for a year to scrape a 5% deposit together, now we have a massive Aussie mortgage at age 48 and a small Uk mortgage, the good news is if we do sell the uk house it will wipe out most of the Aussie mortgage which makes me feel better as im getting too old for this sh#*

2 kids

Boat - nope

I'm just saying that is what a lot of people want out of life.

I don't even have kids, or a boat. Could do with another 2 cars and a jet ski though.