Lets talk senior schools

Matt&beck

Thanks Ali, do you know how many pupils are there? ie. if its a big senior school or not?

Also do you like being in Leeming?

I'm actually not sure how many pupils - it certainly doesn't feel like a 'massive' school (but isn't too small either) - of course this year they get year 7's and 8's starting so will be bigger but when i've called into the office during lesson times it's so quiet (must be all hard at work). I love living in Leeming - my in laws are here at the moment and always mention what a nice suburb it is. It won't suit everyone because it's an older suburb, the benefit is that the houses are generally on bigger blocks. We're only 10 mins by train to the City, 15 mins drive to Freo and we joke that almost everything we want to do is only about 20 - 30 mins away (great news when Glory have lost and it only takes a 20 min in the car to get home lol).

The principle is very nice and wouldn't mind you contacting him, In my daughters last year he introduced a 'house system' which has been really successful. My children are chalk and cheese and it's been able to cater for and meet both their needs.

We landed here quite by chance and haven't looked back

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that concerns me about Rossmoyne is that if you move out of catchment your place in the school isn't guaranteed. I like the look of Leeming, it seems a happy school and it's got a focus on performing arts which my kids will love. But all this I'm gauging from internet research, I think I'll know more after my husband has had a look round. Although my kids can hold their own academically I'd also like to see a school,that has a strong ethos on behaviour, respect and manners and you can only get a feel for that if you visit in person.

I'm biased Tigerbalm but I do like it, as I say my children are very different, my daughter more academic and my son more social/sporting - they've both been happy there

@Matt&beck Why don't you go and speak to the head at Comet Bay and some of the other senior schools like Baldivis and the privates. That way you'll start to form a picture in your mind of what you prefer. Make arrangements to go and take the kids with you when they reopen next week. I know you'll be keen to get the kids into school ASAP but what's another few weeks so you're all happy with your decision. Some won't take them anyway until you secure a long term rental. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with Comet Bay. It's actually a very nice school. If you're child is sporty they'd love it there. You can't just go off stats. The head and some go the teachers at Secret Harbour have told me they've pulled their kids out of private school to go there because they're so impressed with the head and the direction the school is going in. The stats show this to some extent bearing in mind they're based on the performance of the children graduating so it takes a few years for the schools performance to improve. I've listed a few in the area below:2013. 201454. 24. Kolbe Catholic (private)68. 31. Frederick Irwin (private)124. 96. Comet Bay (State)I'm really conscious Beck that you're trying to live by the beach on a budget and a lot of the schools higher on the league tables are near the city and many are private or demand you live in an expensive suburb. Many at the top of the list charge huge fees and there is some elitism, as there is anywhere, as to which school your child attends. I know your currently in Warnbro and that is a school I would want to avoid! It's now bottom of the league table!!! Either you need to decide you want to live elsewhere or that you're going to stay in the same area and narrow your search to schools in the area. As you know we're in Secret Harbour so let me know if you still fancy meeting up for a chat over a coffee or walk on the beach end of this week.

Thanks Louise, great advice. I emailed the head of comet bay last week and asked to come to see the school so I'm hoping to get a reply tomorrow. I thought I'd ring Baldivis and Leeming too, it's not like I'm working yet so I have plenty of time. Our holiday let is until the 17th Feb - thats our rush but no rush for me to start the kids even by the start of school term, I think that's unrealistic now anyway and I'm happy to have them enjoying being in Australia for a bit (though they may just think it's a big holiday and never want to go back!!). A coffee would be great, secret harbour is top of the list and we've asked to see some rentals there. I have a job at Fiona Stanley so staying an easy commute away is important and my husband is likely to be kwinana/Henderson (but that's a guess). I do like secret harbour however it may as well not be beachside for us, my kids are too young and not strong enough swimmers so we would have to drive somewhere further anyway.

I'm very open about suburbs, I love older established, my husband likes newer, sexier ones :D and our budget is ok so in some ways we have too much choice! Personally I loved coogee, Munster, beeliar, those beaches are amazing - all Hamilton high catchment! There's just so much to think about when you get here, all the paperwork and organising, I'm trying not to get too stressed and let it fall into place - I'm keeping the faith ��

Edited by Matt&beck

• 2 weeks later...

Matt&beck we're in Lakelands son started at Freddie's last term and can bike or bus to school, my biggest worry was him keeping up the academic achievements he had in the Uk, very early days I know but so far impressed with Freddie's strict but don't think that's a bad thing, son feels it's better than his Uk school and that was a fantastic school. He's settled in very quickly got lots of friends brought home a certificate of excellence yesterday for his report last term, have been led to believe its a very academic school and therefore can be difficult to get in, we didn't have any problems or wait at all, booked a meeting and offered a place there and then. Son in year 10 fees this year will be around $8000 with school camps and outdoor ed activities.

Be careful with just going off the statistics! For example, I expect a lot of the children at Leeming, Willeton, Rossmoyne have parents who work in the city whereas Comet Bay, for example, has more children with parents who work FIFO or in the military. I know lots of FIFO workers who will take their kids out of school for family holidays if their rostered time off doesn't coincide with school holidays. This doesn't mean the kids or parents are not interested in school. Something the stats don't show. My son is at a school in the top 50 schools in WA and attendance records are 90%...again it's not that the kids and the parents aren't interested in school it's just that a lot are FIFO or from overseas and take extended holidays. They also have sleeping students whose parents hold a place but aren't in attendance. So you've always got to understand what's behind the figures.

In terms of Comet Bay, I wouldn't proclaim it's one of the best. I can only comment, based on my limited knowledge of the school from friends. In terms of senior State schools in Rockingham and Mandurah it is one of, if not the best State senior school in the area.

I think sometimes people get too hung up on which is the best school. A school is only as good as it's staff and I particular it's leader; the head. The stats don't tell you the direction of travel of a school and whether you'll like the feel of the school.

Totally agree Lou. Prior to retirement my career was as an HR Manager within the state education sector, and I have seen schools that were not good in the scheme of things, totally turned around by a dynamic Principal with great people skills and forsight. I have also seen the total reverse. All it takes is for a plonker to get that top job, cause discord within the staffing of the school, and apart from the good teachers starting to move on, morale hits the deck and the schools starts to descend into mediocrity. So I personally think you can't just go on the numbers on a website. Visit the school with your child and talk to the Principal, look around, and feel the vibes. What looks good on paper might be the totally wrong fit for your child.

My sister goes to Rossmoyne senior high, and there academic record is very good, on par with many private schools in perth if not better. She finds the atmosphere to be very friendly, and the students are of hardworking academic nature. They don't have a religious affiliation, and my sister cycles to school everyday, so it wouldn't be an issue as there are many cycle tracks surrounding.

Just thought I'd share this- my husband rang round all the schools that we are looking at today, to book tours. At Rossmoyne he got a very snooty administrator who told home that a tour would not be possible as he needed to live in the area first! When he explained that he was going to be choosing somewhere to live based on our opinions of the local schools she still refused to let him come, just repeated "we don't do tours". He said he would try again tomorrow but it's left him with a bad feeling about Rossmoyne. Although I appreciate one persons attitude wouldn't reflect on schools performance, it does seem that they have a very inflated opinion of themselves.

He also booked tours with Leeming, John Curtin and Melville, all who were very friendly, accommodating and welcoming.

Just thought I'd share this- my husband rang round all the schools that we are looking at today, to book tours. At Rossmoyne he got a very snooty administrator who told home that a tour would not be possible as he needed to live in the area first! When he explained that he was going to be choosing somewhere to live based on our opinions of the local schools she still refused to let him come, just repeated "we don't do tours". He said he would try again tomorrow but it's left him with a bad feeling about Rossmoyne. Although I appreciate one persons attitude wouldn't reflect on schools performance, it does seem that they have a very inflated opinion of themselves.

He also booked tours with Leeming, John Curtin and Melville, all who were very friendly, accommodating and welcoming.

We had the same experience with Rossmoyne, so decided not to bother with them at all! With 2 children from all selective grammar schools in the UK, reckon it's their loss! Willetton on the other hand were excellent, very welcoming, happy to show us round, before we were even close to being in area! And maybe that's why Willetton has just overtaken Roasmoyne in the latest league tables! Only one week in, so early days, but our children are settling well,, and feel very well supported in such a new and different environment.

Some schools find that they are a victim of their own success and if they show every single family round that requests a tour they would never have time to run the school. I can understand both sides and it sounds as if Rossmoyne SHS have not found a way of coping with such demands. Many schools have set times for tours which are undertaken at regular intervals throughout the school year. Perhaps someone should make this suggestion to Rossmoyne SHS? If I were you I'd ask to speak to the Head and not some jumped up office administrator.

Edited by Lou8670

We had the exact same experience, when asking for a tour of the school for my sister. This was the school that my sister ended up going to, despite the attitude of one staff member, i agree it could have been put more politely, but Rossmoyne is definitely a school to consider! The area, students, teachers have had very good feedback from my sister, and on par with private school education, which we also have experience with so can make that kind of comparison.

We had the exact same experience, when asking for a tour of the school for my sister. This was the school that my sister ended up going to, despite the attitude of one staff member, i agree it could have been put more politely, but Rossmoyne is definitely a school to consider! The area, students, teachers have had very good feedback from my sister, and on par with private school education, which we also have experience with so can make that kind of comparison.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, maybe Rossmoyne SHS need to review the staff they have in their admin area. From insider knowledge, I can assure you that the person you speak to on the phone or when you "drop in", will be the lowest level of admin and that those higher up the chain might have no idea of what is happening at that lower level. If you are serious about visiting the school, perhaps research from their website who the Deputy Principals are and ask to speak to one of them...

Would just like to put on record that my Byline on PIO and PP is Rossmoyne, purely because it is where I used to live. I do not have anything at all to do with Rossmoyne SHS, although before my recent retirement I was involved in HR within the Education Dept and still have insider connections so I know what is happening......

Same with Primary before we arrived, emailed 3 in the local area, one didn't bother to reply, one sent one line telling us they had a catchment area and one that was enormously friendly and helpful, telling me which year our children would go in, about the High school in the area (my daughter was going into year 7). After a little correspondence with them (their first impression was lovely), the principle arranged a pen pal for my daughter to help the transition, find out about the school etc. For me, I think that the courtesy and friendly customer service are a must from Admin staff.

A note about Leeming - they're now an independent school which means they are able to employ staff they want to employ (think they've recruited 17 this year), about 330 pupils have entered into years 6 and 7, taking the school population to over 1,000.

• 1 month later...

Just resurrecting this thread to say we are coming to Leeming! 2 visits to the school and we got a really good feel for it. (Well my husband did, I was in the corner on FaceTime, which the chaplain found highly entertaining!) We were really impressed with the facilities at Willetton but found that Leeming had a really friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

We've now found a house and it's in the catchment area of 2 primary schools so the dilemma starts all over again!

Just resurrecting this thread to say we are coming to Leeming! 2 visits to the school and we got a really good feel for it. (Well my husband did, I was in the corner on FaceTime, which the chaplain found highly entertaining!) We were really impressed with the facilities at Willetton but found that Leeming had a really friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

We've now found a house and it's in the catchment area of 2 primary schools so the dilemma starts all over again!

Welcome to Leeming - it really is a great suburb. The HS has just become independent so will go onto bigger and better things (and I agree about the atmosphere). All the primary schools have good reputations, my two went to Leeming Primary

Need help please, I am coming over to Perth on a student visa in July and bringing my son who will turn 17 on 03 July he would like to go back to high school and complete his final year I have been considering Leeming High but not sure of costs and whether they would accept him or would he have to go to college. Such an awkward age.

Any help as to fees etc.. would be grateful

Need help please, I am coming over to Perth on a student visa in July and bringing my son who will turn 17 on 03 July he would like to go back to high school and complete his final year I have been considering Leeming High but not sure of costs and whether they would accept him or would he have to go to college. Such an awkward age.

I can never remember what the cut off date is for school years - so don't know if your son would be year 11 or 12 at the moment. Give the school a ring and they would be able to advise you, or email them (their website should have a 'contact us' button. I'd check out schools first before TAFE, but I do now Tuart College do year 11 and 12 courses.

I think the cost is 4k per year, per family now for undergraduate. Masters students get free education for their kids. However the university allocates the school and it may not be the one nearest to you. I was told that potentially I could have 3 kids in 3 schools! Then there is the tie of living fairly close to the uni. This is my plan C but currently working on plan B to save myself the student fees.

The university should be able to give you the answers, you are paying for their help.

Good luck :-)

Edited by Lisa VCH

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys I am unable to help with SOR but can help with NOR if anyone needs that. Just to reinforce some of the things mentioned on here.

Private V Public is and will always be a huge debate and about personal choice. For those coming over from UK private here is not like private in the UK. It is more affordable on the whole, however do not expect small class sizes, and please check out the school first. You need to select the place which is right for your child.

Govt info and results are a measure, but I echo that it is NOT the full picture. The PRINCIPAL is make or break for a school, so check out how long that Principal has been there - this will tell you if what you see is a reflection of this leader or if the stats are likely to change based on new leadership.

Also State schools (Public schools here) are NOT FREE! you have to pay a charge for schooling in WA and also for the subject choices your child opts for. Schools are not any where near as well resourced in WA as they are in the UK. So your kids need everything from paper to pens, compulsory text books, etc. These ARE NOT supplied. Check out what you need for your child on the schools website and look under BOOK LIST this will tell you what you need for each subject.

There is a lot to consider, but all in all, if your child is happy, they will do well. There is good and bad everywhere but with motivation and application you are half way there!

Good luck.