immigrant - hows it feel

pegg

Hey guys,

just one lil question to you guys living in WA ..... whats in like being a immigrant in a new country ? do you ever feel like an outsider looking in ?

Or do you feel propper Ozzy ?

Also the Goverment ... do they take care of you needs ? Are your needs treated the same as Australian born etc ?

All very deep this question, but just been thinking about it .........

I mean our pals thoughts on it all who live in Bunbury are absolutely smitten by WA - they love it , even said they could never have afforded to have 4 kids in UK , but Australia its been possible !!! They love it ! everything about the country they love .... theve been there 8 years and aint coming back !

Anyhow , any thoughts most welcome ;o)

Paul

Good question, I'd be interested in how it feels to be an immigrant too.

I sounds (feels) like quite a negative way of putting it. "I'm an immigrant." "He/She is an immigrant." Almost like its an insult. Maybe that's just the working class white british person in me, I don't know.

I feel lucky to have the opportunity to emigrate from the UK to Australia, will we be treated like outsiders though? Do people have a negative attitude towards "us"?

I think you can feel a little displaced when you first arrive, particularly like us if you don't know anyone at all. There isn't a lot of familiarity around you and it can feel like you're on holiday for months (despite having the routine of working etc). I can't say that there was a light bulb moment when I felt I was really at home here it just sort of happened. I did have people sickness in the early days, times when we would have got together with friends/family to celebrate birthdays, our friendship group has grown slowly and we have a fantastic group of friends who are like our family and who we could rely on if we needed to.

I feel as though I belong here and don't feel an outsider in anyway, I support Australia not because I'm trying to forget where I come from, but because these are sportsmen/women that I watch week in week out and who i'm familiar with. I asked my daughter how she would describe her nationality and she said "an English born Australian". We came on an independent visa, we know that we would not be able to claim any benefits from the system (not that we needed to). We were lucky enough to be able to take our citizenship within 2 years, being citizens gave my daughter access to a student loan for Uni, which she wouldn't have otherwise been able to get.

I saw a very interesting article on FB the other day discussing the "difference" between ex-pats and immigrants and how, like Gar374 says, the immigrant tag has negative connotations. These days immigrant tends to be used to describe people of other racial backgrounds whereas ex-pat is almost exclusively used to describe white Europeans.

Actually we are all immigrants.

To answer the original question I'd say we are generally treated the same as any true blue Aussie and Australians have a very open approach to immigrants. It is such a melting pot of different nationalities that in a normal day I'd say about 50% of the people I deal with aren't Australian.

There are some minor cultural differences but nothing that you can't adapt to fairly quickly. I find the Aussie's very direct, they call a spade a spade which sometimes doesn't sit well with the delicate British approach! You soon get used to it though and you learn just to give as good as you get. Most of the time it's all good hearted banter anyway.

It's funny actually because when you first arrive its a huge and massive deal to you, but you soon realise it's absolutely not for most people here. There have been so many before you that the likelihood is every other person you bump into will be British or of British decent. It's kind of " move along, nothing to see here " I was expecting people to pick up on us being British and ask us questions as soon as we opened our mouths, but no it rarely happens and when I am asked it's generally from other Poms. As a Citizen I am treated wholeheartedly exactly the same as a " Home grown Aussie" I feel English but I live as an Aussie. I love it.

I can say I'm quite happy to be here. I guess having lived in Qatar for 6 years made a big difference in adopting to another culture. Also I travelled a lot because of my job, so I'm used to different accents and cultures etc. But I've heard from other friends that they don't like this and that, aussie Accent is too strong, food is not as good, bla bla bla. We had not choice but to leave Turkey, there was war at our borders, corrupt government...

I was an expat in Qatar. I am an immigrant in Australia. The difference is massive though. I had no rights whatsoever in Qatar, not only because being an expat, but the country doesn't give you any rights. Like 3rd generation still doesn't get citizenship, you pay for doctors, schools, etc...

But here we have medicare, if we had kids, we'd get childsupport, all these things are well known I'm sure. On the other hand, even though being open to everyone, still the way people look at us is a bit different I'd say. People don't understand where I'm from, they go French? nope, South African? Nope. Then? But you have a french Accent? Nope, this is nothing like a french Accent. That's how clueless they are. Thank god I found a job as soon as I came here, when I'm at work, I feel I belong here more (than when I'm outside shopping or doing other things...) I can't explain why people make me feel that way... But it is... When I fly to east coast for work, I feel more comfortable, as if noone cares where you come from. But here there is something that I can't name... It doesn't disturb me that much though...

I've started to hate my name since moving here. My name has weird Turkish letters that doesn't exit in any other language, which makes it impossible for foreigners to say my name. You might say so what? But I'm a flight attendant working with different people every day. Yes, I could choose a western name, but I wouldn't look at you if you called me... So I chose an easier version for my name badge. Good side is I'll be living in a developed country for the rest of my life, the bad side is I'll have to spell my name and my 2 work last names (consisting of 13 letters) for the rest of my life...

Another sad thing is most aussies don't travel much, so they are not used to hearing different accents. I see there can be huge communication barrier sometimes. Once we were in Bali, the security was asking "Where are you flying to?" to one of the crew. She couldn't understand anything even after being asked 3 times! Finally she shook her head and left. I felt sorry for the poor guy for trying to have a conversation with her. I said "We're going to Perth" and smiled.

I've completed 8 months already. I love it here. The airline I fly for takes very good care of us. I can compare the vast difference as this is my 3rd airline. Passengers are politer than the ones I had at Qatar Airways. But yes, Aussies are a bit straightforward and can be harsh sometimes. I miss Europe in that way, like there is no elegance here, if it makes sense... I wince every time someone calls me "mate." It should be banned, removed from the lexicon.

If my husband could find a job, then all would be perfect. He is applying to jobs which match his resume Word by Word, end result is stilll nada...

Despite these, I feel more at home here than I was in my own country. I guess you'll need to find your answers, everyone has a different expectation from here.

I'm sorry if that was too long.

Have nice weekend everyone

I have always found the aussies dont seem to care where you are from, if you join in, have a beer, have a laugh, get together, it doesnt matter what your race is, whether you were born in Oz or not, all in all, an extremely inviting and welcoming group of people (just dont talk about English cricket or rugby being better!!!)

Defintely dont ask who won the Rugby 2003 and in which nation- could be a good pub quiz question!!!

I was talking on the phone to an ozzy at the bank yesterday, trying to describe who I had seen in branch the day before. I ended up saying, "he was foreign". I then laughed and said, well yeah, but I guess I'm foreign to you too. But she said, yes but he's more foreign.

So I guess from what I have seen is that if you are from a white british background, you are accepted and welcomed. Many of the Ozzies are from that lineage anyway, so you just fit straight in. If however, you come from an African or Asian background, I think they are more aware of the differences and see you as an immigrant.

He's more foreign, that made me lol.

I turned it round and thought about it from a white brits perspective when I see/hear/meet non brits. And Aussies don't really fall into the foreign category at all. I guess its because of the lineage/culture and the lack of differences that we all feel one and the same.

I was in the CBD yesterday.

I looked like ****e, scruffy, backpack etc.

I really needed a beer, so after walking for ages I saw a posh upper class hotel with a bar, I though they would not let me in due to me looking like a tramp. The guy at the door opened the door for me, called me Sir, asked if I needed help etc.. He could not do enough for me if I asked. He treated me as tho I was made of money even tho anyone could see I was clearly not. What a nice chap.

In London, I would have been told to GET LOST!!

Edited by Edna

• 1 month later...

I love the fact the Australians say 'mate' to be honest. They are very chilled out and relaxed and don't take things too seriously. Britain could learn a thing or two about how to live a little :biglaugh:

I can say I'm quite happy to be here. I guess having lived in Qatar for 6 years made a big difference in adopting to another culture. Also I travelled a lot because of my job, so I'm used to different accents and cultures etc. But I've heard from other friends that they don't like this and that, aussie Accent is too strong, food is not as good, bla bla bla. We had not choice but to leave Turkey, there was war at our borders, corrupt government...

I was an expat in Qatar. I am an immigrant in Australia. The difference is massive though. I had no rights whatsoever in Qatar, not only because being an expat, but the country doesn't give you any rights. Like 3rd generation still doesn't get citizenship, you pay for doctors, schools, etc...

But here we have medicare, if we had kids, we'd get childsupport, all these things are well known I'm sure. On the other hand, even though being open to everyone, still the way people look at us is a bit different I'd say. People don't understand where I'm from, they go French? nope, South African? Nope. Then? But you have a french Accent? Nope, this is nothing like a french Accent. That's how clueless they are. Thank god I found a job as soon as I came here, when I'm at work, I feel I belong here more (than when I'm outside shopping or doing other things...) I can't explain why people make me feel that way... But it is... When I fly to east coast for work, I feel more comfortable, as if noone cares where you come from. But here there is something that I can't name... It doesn't disturb me that much though...

I've started to hate my name since moving here. My name has weird Turkish letters that doesn't exit in any other language, which makes it impossible for foreigners to say my name. You might say so what? But I'm a flight attendant working with different people every day. Yes, I could choose a western name, but I wouldn't look at you if you called me... So I chose an easier version for my name badge. Good side is I'll be living in a developed country for the rest of my life, the bad side is I'll have to spell my name and my 2 work last names (consisting of 13 letters) for the rest of my life...

Another sad thing is most aussies don't travel much, so they are not used to hearing different accents. I see there can be huge communication barrier sometimes. Once we were in Bali, the security was asking "Where are you flying to?" to one of the crew. She couldn't understand anything even after being asked 3 times! Finally she shook her head and left. I felt sorry for the poor guy for trying to have a conversation with her. I said "We're going to Perth" and smiled.

I've completed 8 months already. I love it here. The airline I fly for takes very good care of us. I can compare the vast difference as this is my 3rd airline. Passengers are politer than the ones I had at Qatar Airways. But yes, Aussies are a bit straightforward and can be harsh sometimes. I miss Europe in that way, like there is no elegance here, if it makes sense... I wince every time someone calls me "mate." It should be banned, removed from the lexicon.

If my husband could find a job, then all would be perfect. He is applying to jobs which match his resume Word by Word, end result is stilll nada...

Despite these, I feel more at home here than I was in my own country. I guess you'll need to find your answers, everyone has a different expectation from here.

I'm sorry if that was too long.

Have nice weekend everyone