Painters - what is the work situation like?

susanbro

Hi Guys,

We are looking to move to Perth on a 189 around July. My OH is a painter to trade though is a manager where he works currently. He is under no illusion that he will probably need to get back on the tools initially. Can anyone tell me what the work situation is like for painters just now - from what I can see from Seek, there seems to be quite a few adverts, but having worked in recruitment myself I know that adverts don't necessarily mean 'real' jobs. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Susan

WA is slowing down, the mining industry is slowing down, with redundancies happening all the time which is hurting. Multiple new housing estates are however still underway, supporting the longer term growth in WA. I think that activity will also slow down, but still ongoing.

Try gauging Gumtree for people looking for work, that gives a feel for where the quiet areas are.

Hope that helps a bit.

Nick

It is getting harder to find work across most sectors. While there are plenty of new builds currently going up, it has been reported in the last weeks that new approvals have fallen sharply. So, a lot less new builds going to be happening. At the same time, there are a lot of trades coming from China who are happy to take much lower pay. We only completed our new build a couple of months ago with one of the biggest home builders and most of our trades were Chinese.

Except the Polish workers I met in the Uk were hard working and skilled. Most of the Chinese workers I've come across are incompetent at best, have absolutely no idea about OSH and the problem is compounded by most of them not being able to speak English.

Except all polish workers on my sites have always been lazy, never skilled, crap english and totaly incompetent - thats why they wash cars now ;o)

Except all polish workers on my sites have always been lazy, never skilled, crap english and totaly incompetent - thats why they wash cars now ;o)

Maybe that says more about your recruitment process than it does about the Polish workers :laugh: One of the saying I like in Oz is: Skilled labour isn't cheap and cheap labour isn't skilled!

• 2 months later...

I have a friend who runs his own painting and decorating business in the Rockingham/ Baldivis area and he said he has loads of work at the moment. There's lots of new builds going on around Secret Harbour and all the way down to Mandurah as well as Baldivis so I would expect there is still a lot of work around for the right person.

I have a friend who runs his own painting and decorating business in the Rockingham/ Baldivis area and he said he has loads of work at the moment. There's lots of new builds going on around Secret Harbour and all the way down to Mandurah as well as Baldivis so I would expect there is still a lot of work around for the right person.

Thanks @Lou8670, we managed to get sponsorship with a firm and my OH starts on the 31st. Looking forward to living in Secret harbour next month :) xx