IT Job Market in Perth

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could advise on the IT job market in Perth at the minute? I am currently staying in SA but thinking of moving over to Perth.

Particularly interested in the Service Management/Service Delivery side of things.

I've been looking on the job boards but there doesn't seem to be much around. I've been in touch with a few agencies as well who have said that there isn't much around.

I'm keen to have a job before we would think of moving over.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could advise on the IT job market in Perth at the minute? I am currently staying in SA but thinking of moving over to Perth.

Particularly interested in the Service Management/Service Delivery side of things.

I've been looking on the job boards but there doesn't seem to be much around. I've been in touch with a few agencies as well who have said that there isn't much around.

I'm keen to have a job before we would think of moving over.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not much around....my husband looking for same sort of job and no luck yet.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Has your husband been looking for long?

This is our worry, making the move then being out of work for a while.

Thanks again.

Not really - maybe a month. He's looking in other fields as well but IT service management is an area he has a number of years experience in. The job market is hard here.... Resources companies are some of the biggest employers here in Perth and they are all laying off staff.

All these posts seem to be pretty negative, and maybe it was just luck, but my partner applied for an IT Systems Engineer job in Perth a week before we made the move in January, and they got back to him straight away, gave him an interview over Skype in which they more or less offered him the job. He went in to see the place when we got to Perth, and started a week afterwards. It's not all doom and gloom. Although having said that I still haven't found anything yet, after 4 months of looking (for anything!) and over 100 applications.

It is quiet at the moment. I have been looking since just before Easter and have maybe applied for 4 or 5 jobs (I am being picky I hasten to add). Having said that I have had two interviews both through recruitment agents from jobs advertaised on Seek. So contrary to popular belief applying through there can work.

I have been monitoring the market over the last year (we were choosing between Syd or Perth) and there were markedly lower posts in Perth each week, even compared to Brisbane. I did have fears as we preferred Perth but not much use if theres no work. I managed to secure a role albeit on less than I turned down in Syd, and a little below market rate. I was told to expect 2 months without work so to budget accordingly.

It is quiet at the moment. I have been looking since just before Easter and have maybe applied for 4 or 5 jobs (I am being picky I hasten to add). Having said that I have had two interviews both through recruitment agents from jobs advertaised on Seek. So contrary to popular belief applying through there can work.

have you had interviews with a company/companies? What kind of IT work? I don't think there's many management level jobs, but I'd be interested to know what you think.

All these posts seem to be pretty negative, and maybe it was just luck, but my partner applied for an IT Systems Engineer job in Perth a week before we made the move in January, and they got back to him straight away, gave him an interview over Skype in which they more or less offered him the job. He went in to see the place when we got to Perth, and started a week afterwards. It's not all doom and gloom. Although having said that I still haven't found anything yet, after 4 months of looking (for anything!) and over 100 applications.

Mmm, systems engineer is a bit different to the jobs I was referring to....analyst, project manager, service/delivery manager is what my husband is looking for.

have you had interviews with a company/companies? What kind of IT work? I don't think there's many management level jobs, but I'd be interested to know what you think.

Yep two genuine companies not just agencies. Roles are mid level IT PM but I have seen quite a few at either end (junior - senior) as well.

The toughest thing I find here is specific industry experience ie you might be the best PM, engineer, etc but you don't get a look in unless you've worked in oil and gas, health or whatever . It can limit what is worth applying for.

Yep two genuine companies not just agencies. Roles are mid level IT PM but I have seen quite a few at either end (junior - senior) as well.

The toughest thing I find here is specific industry experience ie you might be the best PM, engineer, etc but you don't get a look in unless you've worked in oil and gas, health or whatever . It can limit what is worth applying for.

that's exactly what my husband has been told - he's worked in oil and gas for 20 plus years and those firms aren't hiring...

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have been watching the job boards for a few weeks and I am starting to see a cycle of the same jobs appearing which is always a worry as you are always suspicious that the agencies are just looking for new CV's for their books. We can but try though. I wish everyone good luck.