bank accounts

racheld

Its easy to open a bank account before you arrive in Australia. We went with Commonwealth bank, but there are a number of others. We deposited money from overseas, but didn't receive any cards till we arrived, which suited us fine. The account typically has a monthly fee, so its a good idea to add some money, we tended to do it as a lump sum.

Easy to do and they are really helpful I find.

Nick

Hi,

Dead easy to do - I looked at 4 major banks and decided on NAB in the end.

Good interest rates on savings and minimal fees/charges.

I used moneycorp to transfer money and there are no receiving fees from that either. Nice online interface, we need to activate the accounts and get our cards when we get there so will be able to give a better opinion when we've been there a while. I have both a savings and a current account and can transfer into either.

Point to note though - you can't get any mone back out until you go in and activate the accounts.

Gareth

Hi,

Dead easy to do - I looked at 4 major banks and decided on NAB in the end.

Good interest rates on savings and minimal fees/charges.

I used moneycorp to transfer money and there are no receiving fees from that either. Nice online interface, we need to activate the accounts and get our cards when we get there so will be able to give a better opinion when we've been there a while. I have both a savings and a current account and can transfer into either.

Point to note though - you can't get any mone back out until you go in and activate the accounts.

Gareth

We are going to do same as you Gareth found NAB to be very helpful over the phone (they have an office in London for migrants) now to just to activate our MoneyCorp account and open with NAB but all seems so easy fingers crossed.