Blog about moving to perth and living in perth

lozzachino

Hi all,

i just wanted to let you know I recently started a blog about moving to and living in Perth.

as I am originally South African, its called Proudly South African in Perth but it has useful information for anyone looking to move to Perth or already living in Perth.

if you want you want to check it out you can find it here.

https://proudlysouthafricaninperth.com

has anyone else blogged about their move too?

hope its ok to post!c

Edited by lozzachino
website updated

good blog! Beg to differ on the cost of living comments though. We are fairly new here (moved from Aberdeen) and I still cringe at the cost of things. I thought nothing of umpteen coffees a week with friends back in the UK, but at $5 a time I think twice now. And tradesmen etc seem to think they can charge what they like here .... it's all crazy prices! Anyway, thanks because you gave some useful tips for broadband, phone, insurance which i'll definitely refer to....

Guest Guest6235

I have to agree this time with Benji, we lived up North back in England and would still have to pay £3-5 for a coffee/tea, although $5 sounds a lot, it isn't really. Apart from buying a house & the stamp duty etc that goes with & car rego/ stamp duty, we've actually found the cost of living not bad at all.

Coffee at £2.50 UK money isn't that expensive is it?! I think that's the going rate around here!

around Perth? Friends from over east also say it's expensive... but I've not been east recently. Also, the rate's only just hit 2:1.... And Keefo, OMG £3-£5 for a coffee!! Wow... Aberdeen was £2.30 at a West End café, prob cheaper elsewhere. Anyway, I think my experience of costs may be biased based on where I live in Perth... I mean, $20-$30 an hour for a babysitter - is it just me that thinks that's expensive?

Not seen a coffee for $5, where did you pay that? That is expensive even for Perth! I would say a normal price is around $4. I was in Sydney in May and most small coffees were $3.20-$4 so on a par with here really. And they were small! But at least they were good!

It took me a while to get used to prices but now we have been here a couple of years I have a better feel for whats reasonable and whats ridiculous. Of course its all subjective though isnt it :)

Not seen a coffee for $5, where did you pay that? That is expensive even for Perth! I would say a normal price is around $4. I was in Sydney in May and most small coffees were $3.20-$4 so on a par with here really. And they were small! But at least they were good!

It took me a while to get used to prices but now we have been here a couple of years I have a better feel for whats reasonable and whats ridiculous. Of course its all subjective though isnt it :)

$4.80 this afternoon for a normal sized cappuccino at a cafe on Broadway, Nedlands.... It's $4.80 everywhere I go. Yesterday was at a sports club I belong to and a cup was $4.50 and a mug was $5. I think because I'm new I find it all expensive....plus I'm from Perth so I guess I'm having a hard time getting used to the HUGELY inflated prices...

I'm starting to take note of coffee prices - $5 at Clancy's City Bch, $5 at Matilda Bay... I never see anything less than $5 or close to!

mmm, looks like I need to go further north! I had takeaway (large at Clancy's - cos small is tiny) at the last two places, but the Nedlands café was normal size cup and not takeaway which was $4.80. I'm starting to think Western suburbs venues charge more than elsewhere. I was at Coles in Claremont the other day and ONE iceberg lettuce was $2.50. The week before I bought 2 for $1 at Spudshed!!

Guest Guest6235

The majority of the time we take a flask of boiling water out with us, some tea bags and a little Tupperware container with milk in it and brew up if we're out on a picnic or if we've just popped for an hours sit on the beach etc. The amount of times you go places and spend $7-$10 here and there on tea/coffee you can save a lot. This is something we also did back in England on days out to the North York moors or days out when we were camping, amazing how much you save.