Newbie wanting advice on PR visa and nursing

loobyloo85

Hi guys

im new to this forum, me and hubby have decided to take the plunge and start the emigration process after talking about it for ten years since we last lived there 2003-2005. What I'm wanting to know is is it possible to apply for a permanent residency visa straight off? Also how easy is it to find this relating to paediatric nursing with 5 years experience. We have previously lived in larding a and coolbellup but that was without children we now have an 8 year old and a 18month old so would need to research good areas for kids and schools etc (again any help you guys could give us would be great) and realistically how much money should we be looking to save and bring with us we don't have a house in the UK just rent as we wanted to be able to leave as soon as we are sorted.

any advice would be great

thanks

lou x

It's certainly possible to get PR straight off, you will need to have a degree to register with AHPRA. You can either register with AHPRA first and then apply for a modified skills assessment from ANMAC or get your skills assessment first and then apply for registration. Jobs for public hospitals are generally advertised on seek.com and jobs WA

If I applied for a pr would I pay all the costs as I've been offered a 457 which would be paid for but then I wouldn't be eligible for a mortgage etc and would have to pay school fees. I am currently doing my top up degree course as I only had the advanced diploma which APHRA aren't accepting anymore.

thanks

lou

Hi,

you will need the degree now to have your skills assessed by ANMAC too for PR. Once that's done and you have a positive assessment you can then apply for registration for AHPRA and your PR visa. This is a longer and more expensive option than the 457 but it will give you lots of benefits (I.e not having to pay for school fees), and the security of it being permanent and you can of course then choose where you live and who you work for.

it is an expensive business thankfully it's not all in one go so lots of time to work your socks off before the next chunk has to be paid!

If I applied for a pr would I pay all the costs as I've been offered a 457 which would be paid for but then I wouldn't be eligible for a mortgage etc and would have to pay school fees. I am currently doing my top up degree course as I only had the advanced diploma which APHRA aren't accepting anymore.

thanks

lou

Yes for PR unfortunately you would have to pay all costs!

Hi Loobylou,

I am a peadiatric nurse, i have just finished my top up degree and finally passed ilets test. I would say wait till you have finished your degree as hospitals wasent interested until you have the degree. We have looked at both visa's and for us we think we will go with the PR visa as schools would be cheaper, mortgages available. I have been offered if pass interview stage a 457 visa but unless they offer PR after 2 years then we wouldn't go with it. Good luck with it all, i know doing degree is not easy with 2 children!!! Exciting times.

So would I be better waiting to finish my degree before I start any paperwork? Or is there anything I can be doing I finish course next May and graduate July.

Until you have your degree then you won't be able to proceed with the application as you would not be given a positive skills assessment or be eligible to register with AHPRA.

The 457 is only a temporary visa, you will not be classed a permanent employee but someone who is on a fixed term contract. I know that some services (my own included) advertises jobs which say that preference will be given to PR and Citizens, if you want to move to another service then they have to agree to taking over your sponsorship. You will be eligible for school fees and depending upon age of children, then international fees for Uni and TAFE courses etc., A friend came on a 457, she was told they would offer sponsor for PR - unfortunately as is the public health system, they then had a freeze on that, so she ended up getting PR independently, so even if they offer to sponsor for PR afterward (and you may still be eligible for those fees), then there may be things outside their control that allows them follow through on that.

You could think about taking your academic IELTS as you will need a score of 7.0 in all sections for ANMAC, it is early but lots of people have had to take it more than once, something to think about anyway as that's a biggy out of the way when that is done! Then you could ensure you have everything else ready for your skills assessment as from submission it can take up to 16 weeks for decision. If you go on the ANMAC site it will tell you everything you need whilst you are waiting for your degree paperwork, then you can just go for it!

Thanks guys I have made contact through an agent and she's lovely used to be a nurse and has been set up in migration for a while and was given her name by healthcare Australia nursing agency. She pretty much told me same as you concentrate on getting degree and do the two ielts tests normal and academic and then go on to each step after. Definitely going for PR as believe the job prospects to be better and need the stability for my family and feel we would benefit more from been able to apply for a mortgage etc as soon as we are in employment.

thanks so much for your advice

It took me many attempts, you have to get 7.0 in all categories reading,listening,speaking and writing - i kept getting a 6.5 in writing and reading - it could be a question difference between a 6.5 and 7.0. You dont need to get books, look on you tube - loads of help on there- i felt learn english with emma, liets ryan and eng vid website - i just watched them over and over! That really helped. Good luck

Hi, yes I'm pretty sure it's 24 months but any migration agent would confirm that for you.

i studied a lot for my IELTS as I was so nervous, I took the academic in Adelaide an it really was like a formal exam and you really need to know the format of the test so you know what to expect in the four sections. I got the 7.0s I needed for ANMAC then sat the general in South Africa (a bit more laid back!) but still I did not want to have to do it again so did some more revision and got 8.0s and 9.0s as it's a much simpler exam. The listening and the speaking is the same for both exams, but I Definately found the academic writing and reading tricky! Lots of people have said thank goodness they did a few practice papers and I would Definately agree. You can get these from the IELTS website x