Feeling strange

stephanie1982

I leave in 8 days and don't know whether I am excited or terrified from one minute to the next. My thoughts are this - I will go and may not like it/not work out and I will come home a little poorer and more worldy wise, but if I don't get on the plane next week I know I will always have major regrets at that. I am the sort of person that would allow the regrets to eat me up so I have to go, terrified or not!!

I left the UK over 5 years ago telling myself I was going on holiday, instead of admitting I was making one of the biggest decisions of my life. 5 years and (almost) 5 months in, it actually feels like I'm on a very long holiday. My advice to you is, just keep doing what you're doing and (hopefully) once you're here, you will look back and realise everything was worth it.

You'll be fine then. Imagine yourself in 30 years time. What would you rather say:

1. 30 years ago I moved to Australia. It wasn't for me but I gave it a try. Spent a couple of years there then came home.

2. 30 years ago I nearly moved to Australia. I never went but I wish I did now.

3. I have been in Australia for 30 years now. Can't believe I had doubts before I came, I wish I came earlier.

I'm in the motions, up and down but again, I live on regrets and if I don't do it it will eat away at me, I did my vetasess in 2013 so I have till next year. My IELTS is booked on the 8th oct. So my heads in the book. I have a 5 month old baby now and a house to renovate and sell by next year to make money on and fund our dream.

So I have received my IELTS results today I have submitted my skills assessment and paid the cost...and had a little bit of uncertainty.... I have been very determined from the start knowing it's the right move but something washed over me. Did this happen to anyone else and if so how do you feel now?

Hi Stephanie it's me!! I'm not stalking you I just browse on here a bit. Haha.

I just went with the motion of it all to begin with and it didn't really hit me until the packers came around 10 days before we flew. I remember thinking 'what are we doing?' After that I was an emotional wreck. The hardest thing by far was saying goodbye to my friends, family, everyone I love..... to be on our own. But it was 'our' adventure. I can honestly say the last almost 2 years of being here has made me a stronger person, my relationship with my husband has excelled and it's made me appreciate people that little bit more. Don't get me wrong, I cannot wait to go back next year to visit everyone but deep down I know I'll be looking forward to coming back. I know I won't ever stop missing everyone but life is what you make it. Just think of it as an adventure and worst case scenario you can always go back.

Shona xx

We are about 3 weeks till we fly and I wish i had time to either get excited or nervous, I am so busy and have been for what feels like years now!

I can't wait for it to all end. ( I know i am heading to more red tape over there, but at least it is another big hurdle of crap done!

Sat on hold to british gas to cancel as we speak!

Getting nervous can only be normal in my opinion. I am with everyone on the whole regret thing. I don't want to look back and regret.....it's not a life sentance.

Hi Stephanie it's me!! I'm not stalking you I just browse on here a bit. Haha.

I just went with the motion of it all to begin with and it didn't really hit me until the packers came around 10 days before we flew. I remember thinking 'what are we doing?' After that I was an emotional wreck. The hardest thing by far was saying goodbye to my friends, family, everyone I love..... to be on our own. But it was 'our' adventure. I can honestly say the last almost 2 years of being here has made me a stronger person, my relationship with my husband has excelled and it's made me appreciate people that little bit more. Don't get me wrong, I cannot wait to go back next year to visit everyone but deep down I know I'll be looking forward to coming back. I know I won't ever stop missing everyone but life is what you make it. Just think of it as an adventure and worst case scenario you can always go back.

Shona xx

Thanks Shona your a star...not sure how far I would have got without your help!