One week in!!

HoneyJackMonster

Bit of a roundup for anyone who might be interested, about my first week in Perth.

Said goodbye to my daughters the night before I left as they were staying round nannies house which was great because I got to read them stories and say goodbye. My wife drove me to the airport the next morning to see me off. I Arrived Saturday 1st August, flew with Singapore Air, couldn't fault them, great selection of films and for airline food I'd say it was pretty tasty! Staff were always on hand to top my cup up with another Johnnie walker! (free whisky!!! For 20 hours).

Arrived in Perth Airport and got through customs with no aggro and picked up my hire car. Drove to my rental room (booked from air bnb) in Hammond Park. Checked in and applied for my tax file number! Then had a good sleep.

The next few days were a blur of rental viewings after rental viewings but thoroughly enjoyed driving round Perth and exploring. Went to Nab in the CBD on Monday and got bank accounts sorted... Drove right into the city centre and found a parking spot!?! Got there really early so had a good look around.

I had an aircraft maintenance engineer job interview on Tuesday at Perth Airport for a regional airline and got a job! Everyone seemed nice and it looks like a great company to work for with lots of career prospects so was over the moon! They want me to start on the 17th which is ideal as I still have a lot to do!

Wednesday I applied for a rental in Hammond park, seems like a nice area with a play park right outside for the girls and a school right round the corner, the application got accepted! Managed to knock $20 a week off the rent and I didn't have to pay three months up front. It's a bit of a commute to Perth airport (40minutes) but no worse than the one I had in the UK. Picked the keys up the next day from the estate agent and did a huge ikea shop for the usual bits n bobs.

Friday drove down to secret harbour to buy a car. Seems really nice round there, met a lovely Aussie family who dubbed it "little Britain" and said the poms have taken it over. Also said the pub was a no go unless you like fighting over footy! Haha.

So one week in and I've got a job, house and a car, TFN in the post and bank account sorted! Next week I have to fill the house with furniture, sign up all the utilities try and get some broadband hooked up (the internet here is terrible!) and unload the move cube, transfer my driving licence and register for Medicare and centrelink. So hopefully be sorted before I start my new job and my family arrives on the 25th.

So far I'm loving Perth I am walking around in shorts and t-shirt and its winter. But it won't seem real until all the organising is done and my family are here. Few things I've noticed is that in Australia it's perfectly acceptable to go to the shops barefoot. Aussie radio is hilarious and not very politically correct. There is no slow lane on the freeway you are just as likely to be undertaken as overtaken. You can get shark (if that's your thing) from the fish and chip shop. There are plenty of others but if you made it this far you are probably bored to tears. Good luck to anyone else taking the plunge.

Haha! Sounds like they're never been to the Whistling Kite! It's a wine bar/restaurant more than a pub and I've never seen any footy on there; just roaring log fires at the moment and face painting for the kids [emoji6]. We have rather taken over Secret Harbour though!

Good to hear you're finding your feet! You seem to really have hit the ground running! Well done! [emoji1]