Aussie or not?

flatpack

Hi All, does anyone know the rules about kids born in oz?

We're on a PR visa and have been here just over a year and Mrs Flatpack has just given birth to our son. Is he an Australian or a Pom?

we know he's entitled to a UK passport but can he have an Aussie one or does he have to wait until we're citizens in 3 years time?

Thanks

We're on a PR visa and have been here just over a year and Mrs Flatpack has just given birth to our son. Is he an Australian or a Pom?

we know he's entitled to a UK passport but can he have an Aussie one or does he have to wait until we're citizens in 3 years time?

Thanks

My brother was born in oz to parents with perm residency and was Australian. Try applying for a passport and see how far you get.

Thanks

Your boy has dual citizenship and can have both Australian and British Passports (I had my daughter here). As long as one parent is PR baby is automatically a citizen.

Your boy has dual citizenship and can have both Australian and British Passports (I had my daughter here). As long as one parent is PR baby is automatically a citizen.

That is what I thought, if a child is born in Oz to parents that are here permanently then they're entitled to an Aussie passport. The confusion came today from an official source, we went into Birth, Deaths & Marriages office on St Georges Terrace to register the birth. The lady who dealt with us was really nice but she said he isn't entitled to a passport unless one of us was a citizen and that we would have to apply for a British passport.

i was 95% sure she was wrong, and totally against my character, I accepted what she said and we went on our way.

Confirmed from the passport website

If the child was born in Australia, you will need to provide an original document that confirms one parent’s Australian citizenship or permanent residency AT THE TIME OF THE CHILD’S BIRTH or a passport for the child that was issuedon/after 01/01/2000 and valid for a minimum of two years.