Medicals!

stephanie1982

He doesn't have any hospital notes as saw private doctor once then had surgery...have a letter from discharge saying what he had done but that's it! Little but worried but hubby says it'll be fine!

The Dr will be able to give you a letter. They're interested in: what it is, what tests/treatment e.g. I had a lot of renal investigations but no actual treatment, and what's the prognosis

Getting myself in a pickle over our medicals which are on Monday. ..feel so nervous! Worried cause my BMI is around 41 and hubby had back surgery 4 weeks ago to repair prolapsed discs and has reduced bending movement still!!

Hello! We had our medicals on Thursday in Edinburgh (myself, husband and 13 year old son); we were a bit nervous because we didn't really know what to expect. When we arrived they asked for our referral letters (printed from immi account after we completed details online), our passports and the forms they'd posted to us for completion. We then had our photographs taken and were shown back to the waiting area whilst they uploaded the photos onto our account in their system. My husband and I had an information sheet to read regarding the HIV test then we each had a form to complete giving our consent (our GP details were requested on the form). We only had to wait for around five minutes for the assistant to return; she asked for our completed forms and then asked us to make payment (£853). We were then shown through to the Out Patients waiting area where our paperwork was handed over to a nurse. It was now time for our urine samples to be given; we were shown in turn into a disabled toilet cubicle where the tap was encased in cling film (gloves and hand sanitiser were provided); a polystyrene tub was provided for the urine sample which the nurse advised should be left at the wee wooden hatch in the wall. Next step was height, weight, blood pressure, blood sample and eye test (read a couple of lines of letters, just like at the optician). After only a couple of minutes' wait, the doctor called me into his office and introduced himself (a GP from the local NHS service). He went through my answers on the health questionnaire I'd brought with me and made a couple of notes. I then had to remove my shoes and socks and sit on the examination table; the doctor used implements to look in my eyes, ears and throat and sounded my chest and back with a stethoscope. He asked me to lie down so that he could check my ankles and abdomen. Next step was the chest x-ray. I was shown round to the radiography unit and asked to go into a changing room and remove my top, bra and necklace and put on a blue hospital gown and white robe. Once in the x-ray room, the nurse checked my details, asked me to remove the white robe and put on a lead apron. I then stood against the x-ray machine, resting my chin on a plinth and putting my hands behind my back. Within seconds the x-ray had been taken and the image appeared on a screen to my right. Having removed the lead apron and put on the white robe, I was invited to return to the changing room to dress. Once all three of us were back in the waiting area, the nurse explained that the results of all our tests would be uploaded to the Australian immigration service's system within a week but, if anything sinister was discovered, we would be advised immediately. We thanked the nurse for her help and left the hospital, at which point my husband switched on his phone, checked his email and found that we had been invited to apply for a visa. Happy days! We proceeded to head into Edinburgh to celebrate! Hope this helps.

How did they go Stephanie? Xx

Medicals were ok...a little concerned as BMI is 40 (trying to work hard to reduce it) and I suffer with white coat hypertension and my BP was 142/88 (third attempt).

Just said that although I'm healthy and not requiring medication they may look at the link between the two and may request further tests but will contact me if they do!

Hubby has recently had back surgery...2 herniated discs fixed so he will be referred due to recent surgery but will only need to probably provide a letter from consultant advising long term prognosis etc...but thats fine we are there 2nd Dec.

All in all it was ok but I'm now more on edge...was worried my BP would cause an issue cause I get so anxious sub conciously and it looks like it has!

Medicals were ok...a little concerned as BMI is 40 (trying to work hard to reduce it) and I suffer with white coat hypertension and my BP was 142/88 (third attempt).

Just said that although I'm healthy and not requiring medication they may look at the link between the two and may request further tests but will contact me if they do!

Hubby has recently had back surgery...2 herniated discs fixed so he will be referred due to recent surgery but will only need to probably provide a letter from consultant advising long term prognosis etc...but thats fine we are there 2nd Dec.

All in all it was ok but I'm now more on edge...was worried my BP would cause an issue cause I get so anxious sub conciously and it looks like it has!

My BP fluctuates and is always elevated when it needs to be tested. I have one that monitors it at home and most of the time it's normal (unless the kids are killing each other or I'm playing Destiny!). I take my results map with me whenever I go to the doctors (it downloads to my computer/tablet) and they're always positive about it. If you're like me you may be able to monitor it at home to build a picture of your general health and the doctor may be reassured. I'm not saying they'll accept your evidence but they may see it as being very positive that you're taking your health so seriously.

Birmingham as this is closest to us. Just waiting on another clinic to give me a quote, hopefully abit cheaper.

Pegg, we are also in Birmingham and had our medicals on Saturday. I found the cheapest quote was Manchester Spire, I called Handsworth Wood Medical Practice and haggled with them a bit, they agreed to price match Manchester in the end. We paid £700 for 2 adults and 2 children under 5. (We don't work on healthcare so didn't need the extra Hepatitis tests) . It's always worth being a bit cheeky :-) xx

Pegg, we are also in Birmingham and had our medicals on Saturday. I found the cheapest quote was Manchester Spire, I called Handsworth Wood Medical Practice and haggled with them a bit, they agreed to price match Manchester in the end. We paid £700 for 2 adults and 2 children under 5. (We don't work on healthcare so didn't need the extra Hepatitis tests) . It's always worth being a bit cheeky :-) xx

Oooo thankyou …. will try that one , we like cheeky :biggrin: