Benefits of a PR Visa?

Danny

My family have recently moved over on a 457 visa, but just wondering if we should get employer nomination for a PR visa? Still not sure if we will stay in Australia permanently, but does appear we might save money on child care eligibility and WA school fees etc.

Anyone any experience of this who knows what might make it financially attractive, even if we decide to return to the UK in a couple of years?

You may be eligible for some in work benefits if you have children.

If if you return to the UK and later decide to return to oz, you would need to gain another visa. No guarantee you would qualify as the rules change constantly and occupations drop off the list.

On the flip side, if you return to the UK while on a 457, you can withdraw your super - a potential nice sum to help you set back up in the UK. Once you have pr, your super is locked.

My family have recently moved over on a 457 visa, but just wondering if we should get employer nomination for a PR visa? Still not sure if we will stay in Australia permanently, but does appear we might save money on child care eligibility and WA school fees etc.

Anyone any experience of this who knows what might make it financially attractive, even if we decide to return to the UK in a couple of years?

My advice is to apply for permanent residency as soon as you are eligible, chance s are if you are on a 457 you would be able to apply for 187???? One of my clients received a huge incentive for child care upon achieving PR plus first time home owners etc plus school fees. All of these rebates/allowances more then covered his application fees. Dont make the mistakes of many people and that is become complacent on a 457, to then find out you are made redundant, cant get a new sponsor or the legislation for the permanent visa you were applying for has changed! Recent lady didnt realise that the law changed a few years back and she had turned 50 and is now no longer eligible for PR.

Yep, we have benefited from PR since arrival. Funds have been tight since arrival and we got help from centrelink with child care costs and rent.

Also met someone recently who had to up and go home as hubbie lost his job and could not get another in the same field as stipulated on his visa ( despite his wife willing to work and he was willing to find any job) very sad for them, as they wanted to stay. They are tough rules. We are not financially stable by any meanns, but it is a relief to know we will not be kicked out. Very glad we went to the effort and cost of PR.

Danny I think if your intention is to stay for over 18 months you may aswell apply PR before the regs change and you are suddenly ineligible. Have a client coming to see me this weeks whose employer has just pulled the pin on sponsoring PR from a 457. His only option now is to renew a 457 but may never achieve PR as not on SOL1

Danny I think if your intention is to stay for over 18 months you may aswell apply PR before the regs change and you are suddenly ineligible. Have a client coming to see me this weeks whose employer has just pulled the pin on sponsoring PR from a 457. His only option now is to renew a 457 but may never achieve PR as not on SOL1

As the economy slides further down the graph in WA, I can only assume that this situation will become the norm in times to come. I always advise anyone who fits the criteria for a PR visa, to go for it if they want more stability and security with living in Australia. 10 years ago people on 457 visas could more or less call the tune with employers, but the situation has done a total reversal recently.

As the economy slides further down the graph in WA, I can only assume that this situation will become the norm in times to come. I always advise anyone who fits the criteria for a PR visa, to go for it if they want more stability and security with living in Australia. 10 years ago people on 457 visas could more or less call the tune with employers, but the situation has done a total reversal recently.

Great words of wisdom Rossmoyne. Another client in today being made redundant from a 457, honestly dont think they'll have much chance of PR now, probably be lucky to get another 457 sponsor. I agree the situation is not good now for 457 holders in many sectors

Do not accept 457. We are returning to UK as being made redundant after 4 years on PR (over 50 yr old) but statement of ongoing employment needed for PR & not available. We have spent 4 years living as transients, additional $4000/yr for kids schooling & glad we did not buy a house as would have to sell within 90 days. if you change jobs, clock for PR restarts which is not good in present employment market. Super is taxed at 38% to withdraw as none resident (on top of15% tax when paid in). Its not an easy move without getting screwed at every turn !

Does your employer sponsor for PR? They may have their own period of time before they consider it eg 2 years. They may contract you to a period of employment afterwards or you be subject to incurring any costs. If you're unsure you are going to stay they eill probably be reluctant. You can apply independently any time. If you decided to go back to the UK on a 457 the employer would have to cover flights but the are not obligated to choose the most convenient ones for you. In the past some membets have had long multi stop flights home

My situation is a bit different to most others. I'm a GP. We're partly self-employed, paid per consultation, but 1/3rd of our income goes to the practice that provides facilities etc. It wouldn't be in their interests to make me redundant since I don't cost them, unless I had performance issues - so hopefully safe there...

I've spoken to the practice who are happy to sponsor me for PR so I might as well get the ball rolling, sounds like the pro's outweigh the cons.

My situation is a bit different to most others. I'm a GP. We're partly self-employed, paid per consultation, but 1/3rd of our income goes to the practice that provides facilities etc. It wouldn't be in their interests to make me redundant since I don't cost them, unless I had performance issues - so hopefully safe there...

I've spoken to the practice who are happy to sponsor me for PR so I might as well get the ball rolling, sounds like the pro's outweigh the cons.

Danny my advice to you if you want to stay in Australia, is to get going on that PR route as soon as possible if the practice are willing to sponsor you. Remember that 1 July is often the date when changes are made to visas, with costs as well as conditions, and also to the SOL and CSOL. It can take time to get applications together before you lodge them, so if you are certain you want to go the PR route, I strongly suggest you consult a Registered Migration Agent asap.

Hi Danny I deal with a lot of medical staff and my advise to you would be apply for a 189 or 190 skilled visa so you are not tied to the practice unless you are short of points. You need to be aware of what type of contract you are on if you are being sponsored