Moving back

verystormy

Hi Guys,

how have things gone with the kids settling into UK schooling. We are heading back in May following redundancy & no sponsor to convert 457 to PR. Not a great time as my son is 16 & would finish UK schooling in June so cannot take GCSE's looking to get comparability statements for Auss' schooling results but only NARIC found who can do this to date and not having a lot of joy with these so far. Has anyone been in a similar situation. It looks like he may either have to sit GCSE's privately or do A levels at college to get recognisable qualifications for an apprenticeship.

Its been an adventure but if I had to make the decision again I think I might have gone the other way knowing what I know now. To others reading this, be very wary about coming over on a 457 visa. We thought it was a good option but have now completed the 4 years required for residency (over 50 year old) and because no ongoing sponsor have no other option to gain residency. Employers basically have you over a barrel for the period !

Hi Guys,

how have things gone with the kids settling into UK schooling. We are heading back in May following redundancy & no sponsor to convert 457 to PR. Not a great time as my son is 16 & would finish UK schooling in June so cannot take GCSE's looking to get comparability statements for Auss' schooling results but only NARIC found who can do this to date and not having a lot of joy with these so far. Has anyone been in a similar situation. It looks like he may either have to sit GCSE's privately or do A levels at college to get recognisable qualifications for an apprenticeship.

Its been an adventure but if I had to make the decision again I think I might have gone the other way knowing what I know now. To others reading this, be very wary about coming over on a 457 visa. We thought it was a good option but have now completed the 4 years required for residency (over 50 year old) and because no ongoing sponsor have no other option to gain residency. Employers basically have you over a barrel for the period !

Thats cruel @STEVE P …… good luck with your future plans buddy

Have to say we are loving Windsor.

It is a great place to live. Love the fact that the council provide residents with a card that gives everything from free parking to discounts on beer!

No sprawling concrete shopping centres. In fact the entire town only has one supermarket- a waitrose. Everything is little lovely independent shops. There are so many places to walk in greenery from the Long Walk to the thousands of acres that make up the crown estate.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear that things have not worked out for you Steve. But unfortunately that is the way of the 457 temporary work visa... and whilst some people in the past have managed to move to PR from this, the reality is that it doesn't happen for a lot of people these days. Sending best wishes to you and your family on the next chapter of your lives.