Cars.......Pits??..Rego?? etc

JaseandAnne

Hi Everyone,

Can someone explain the car licensing and safety check over regime please??

Ive been looking at Cars and don't really understand the system fully. I understand that there is no MOT but ive seen a number of cars for sale without plates stating "should pass the pits no problem". Is "the pits" similar to our MOT?

If I bought a car out of Rego can you just drive it off for an MOT like UK? As a mechanic I quite like to buy cars that are out of MOT and sort them out. Is this as easy to do in WA?

Ive also seen some cars that have been "yellow stickered" by the police, I am assuming that this is similar to our Police PG9 where the police stop an unroadworthy car and banish it from the road until fixed. In the UK the car, once repaired, is taken to an MOT station where the items requiring fixing are checked and then the car is allowed back on the road(after a trip to the police station to submit paperwork) is this the case in WA?

all seems a bit confusing, and is there really no annual safety check:wacko:

Jase

if it has no rego it isn't legal to drive on roads. So you trailer the vehicle away. You would then repair / restore it and take it to an approved garage to 'go over the pits' they would issue a cert saying its roadworthy ( or not) and then you take the cert to Dept of Transport and get it licensed ( rego'd). Yellow stickers are, as I believe, to be just like you say, needs to be repaired, approved by engineer.

Be careful buying un rego'd cars, as here unlike UK, they wont have a list of things wrong with the vehicle ( in Uk you get failure notice). So seller could tell you it just needs brakes adjusting and when you take it over pits....could be rotten/ twisted / 3 cars in one......im sure you get the picture.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When a car goes "over the pits" it has to be as it left the factory. Cars fail for oil leaks and the like, it's not just a safety think like the MOT. The car is checked against its original specification and has to meet it (some modifications are allowed)

I find it ironic that getting a car to pass it's pit inspection is so hard when as long as you pay your registration it doesn't need checking again, ever, in its life (unless a copper yellow stickers it)

Hey @JaseandAnne ….. did you get your head round "rego" …. my question is - if i buy a car with 2 months rego remaining - is it same price for all cars to put on again ??? i think ??? Sooooo confused :o(

Think of rego like car tax in the UK, different cars cost different amounts. Engine size and power cost more

Hi Pegg, sorry for late reply, as Flatpack says Rego is similar to our road tax the difference being is it comes with a very basic form of insurance so you can just turn up and drive it away with out fear of being pulled over. Most of the cars I looked at had between 1 and 3 months Rego. obviously the closer to one month you get you can bargain a bit harder on price.

But as Flatpack said there is no MOT and as long as you pay your Rego on time you never have to have the car looked at. Ive seen some shocking cars on the roads here that would have been written off by the MOT at home!! So be careful and check if it has history, receipts etc.

What car are you looking at?

Jase

Think Rego is done on weight.

Also remember there is a 'stamp duty' on buying a car, even seconds hand.

Better to get a car with Rego, as putting a car 'over the pits' can be a pain. Any modifications need to be proven/licenced etc. They also check for tints, mudflaps, tyre sises etc. It's a complete ball-ache if you are not mechanically minded (and is even if you are).

Hi Pegg, sorry for late reply, as Flatpack says Rego is similar to our road tax the difference being is it comes with a very basic form of insurance so you can just turn up and drive it away with out fear of being pulled over. Most of the cars I looked at had between 1 and 3 months Rego. obviously the closer to one month you get you can bargain a bit harder on price.

But as Flatpack said there is no MOT and as long as you pay your Rego on time you never have to have the car looked at. Ive seen some shocking cars on the roads here that would have been written off by the MOT at home!! So be careful and check if it has history, receipts etc.

Jase

Well we bought one today … And really pleased , got a subaru forester …. so plenty of space in boot and roof when we get surf boards sorted. But yep as we dont have 3 months wage slips yet - we bought an older car - but one that should hold value …. Anyhow where chuffed :o)

ohh and also , thought i would mention …. whilst we where in area yesterday we thought we would take a look at everyone on perth poms favourite garage "john Hughs" !!!

Jeeez ,

So anyone that is looking to buy from a garage - this place was horrendous ! we only nipped in - but there where geezers everywhere trying to get us to buy a car, didnt want us to go home and think ….. ! really high presure selling , simlar to UK in the late 80's etc.

But had a really bad experience , could go into more detail - but not good guys - not good !

However a car ive been looking at for a few days - i thought we would take a look ……Subaru garage osbourne park , And wow what a good experience …. no pressure , and they couldnt do enough for us ! infact they even lent us a brand new car whilst we are having windows tinted.

So where happy and would recomend this garage to anyone .

But all good in the end guys ;o)

ohh and also , thought i would mention …. whilst we where in area yesterday we thought we would take a look at everyone on perth poms favourite garage "john Hughs" !!!

Jeeez ,

So anyone that is looking to buy from a garage - this place was horrendous ! we only nipped in - but there where geezers everywhere trying to get us to buy a car, didnt want us to go home and think ….. ! really high presure selling , simlar to UK in the late 80's etc.

But had a really bad experience , could go into more detail - but not good guys - not good !

However a car ive been looking at for a few days - i thought we would take a look ……Subaru garage osbourne park , And wow what a good experience …. no pressure , and they couldnt do enough for us ! infact they even lent us a brand new car whilst we are having windows tinted.

Hi Pegg , glad you got it sorted, cant beat a good Jap car. I think if you've bought from a reputable garage you should be OK if you have a problem. They have similar trading laws here if you do have problems and the garage wont help, you can go to the Aussie version of trading standards. But im sure it will be fine.

I've not been to that John Hughes place but me and the wife commented on how aggressive the advert seemed, "I want your business and I am prepared to pay for it" just doesn't make you want to go there!! lol a reverse advert!!:biglaugh:

@JaseandAnne …… yes they want it deffo !!!! …… Although a chap did say that salesmen have to work hard there for targets etc !

But , yep all good ….. just wanted to big up a dealer that was genuinly a good experience , so really hope car is good.

Also hows work for you buddy … have you sorted work yet ?

@JaseandAnne …… yes they want it deffo !!!! …… Although a chap did say that salesmen have to work hard there for targets etc !

But , yep all good ….. just wanted to big up a dealer that was genuinly a good experience , so really hope car is good.

Also hows work for you buddy … have you sorted work yet ?

Yes, after all my whinging, (although I did have a couple of bad experiences), Ive had two interviews at two proper garages both with good reputations and got offered both jobs!!

I went with the garage that finishes at 4 and doesn't work any weekends! The guy told me he had over 70 applicants for the job and short listed it to 6 and I came out top after two interviews so Im pleased with that being new to the country and all!! I start next week and im looking forward to it.

Thanks for asking, how are you finding things? Did you have jobs to come to or are you looking?

Thats good @JaseandAnne , well wife is cardiac nurse in paediatrics - And got work sorted , So this is a massive weight off our minds ….. Im a builder , but had enough of that - so , for me ill look for abit of p/t work .. anything reallly . Also get the kids sorted into school etc .

But we didnt come here to get rich ….. we just want to eat well , live well ….. and enjoy the Sun !

( although we do seem to be drinking more beer - fantastic )

Jeeez ,

I can weigh in with another that's as bad, the AHG group, high pressure sales, crap customer service and fraudulent "fixed" price servicing.

I bought a 3 year old ix35 private but it didn't stop the arses at AHG calling me, even after I'd informed them numerous times that I bought a car.

They car was originally bought from Wildwest Hyundai so we took it there for its service. Nothing was fixed about the fixed price, they expected $600 on top of the $400 for things that weren't included. $350 for a battery that was, according to battery world, perfectly fine. Needless to say they didn't get a red cent extra out of me and now they've lost a service contract and have someone with a big gob slagging them off

Thats good @JaseandAnne , well wife is cardiac nurse in paediatrics - And got work sorted , So this is a massive weight off our minds ….. Im a builder , but had enough of that - so , for me ill look for abit of p/t work .. anything reallly . Also get the kids sorted into school etc .

But we didnt come here to get rich ….. we just want to eat well , live well ….. and enjoy the Sun !

( although we do seem to be drinking more beer - fantastic )

I drank more beer for a while and plenty of BBQs, calmed down now 8 months in!

I can weigh in with another that's as bad, the AHG group, high pressure sales, crap customer service and fraudulent "fixed" price servicing.

I bought a 3 year old ix35 private but it didn't stop the arses at AHG calling me, even after I'd informed them numerous times that I bought a car.

They car was originally bought from Wildwest Hyundai so we took it there for its service. Nothing was fixed about the fixed price, they expected $600 on top of the $400 for things that weren't included. $350 for a battery that was, according to battery world, perfectly fine. Needless to say they didn't get a red cent extra out of me and now they've lost a service contract and have someone with a big gob slagging them off

This was the company whose service manager at one of their branches promised me a foremans job, shook my hand, gave me his card, told me he wanted me to start as soon as possible and I would hear from their HR the next day or so. Two weeks later I managed to get hold of him to be told they had given the job to someone internally!!! No apology!!

I've also applied for a number of other jobs within this group and they never respond!!

(to be fair other companies also haven't replied but while we are stoking the fire might as well chuck more wood on!!)

Jase

Just a reminder that the insurance that comes with Registration of a vehicle is of the Third Party Person variety only. It does not cover damage to other vehicles or property.