Recommendations for a shipping company

jorw

Hi peeps,

I've just had a very close call with a shipping company (Anglo Pacific) that tried to take £250 from my bank account for a deposit and not the agreed £50. :arghh::mad:Thankfully the bank didn't authorise the payment and a google search of them has brought up some very negative reviews. Phew! close call.

This leaves me needing a new shipping company though and I'm kinda worried on choosing one. What shipping companies would you recommend and which ones would you avoid?

Thank you

We used John Mason who were excellent from start to finish. They used to use Wridgeways at this end (don't know if they still do) who were also very good. We really had a faultless service and the guys made packaging for my daughter's dolls house

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post, we have invited Greens to quote, which on paper is very favorable, they are due to visit next week. Main reason for getting someone else in is we made need UK storage for a month, if our visa isn't granted before we fly, and storage costs an handling fees, seemed excessive with those we have already had quotes from. Greens have offered up to 6 weeks UK storage free, and with no warehouse handling charges. Lets see what they say when we meet them.

we just sorted a move cube …. cant wait ;o)

You will be surprised how much you can fit in - pleasantly surprised.

We used the smallest for moving back to the UK. We had to take our stuff there as they wouldn't deliver as far as Dawesville. I was worried we wouldn't fit everything in that we had packed. But could actually have fitted a fair bit more. We put 8 fairly big tea chest size boxes in and a few other bits and could easily have got a couple more boxes.

Masons seem do enjoy a good reputation, hardly ever see any complaints about them.

We know a couple of people personally who used them, one through our recommendation and another from one of our sites - both were really happy with the service.

• 5 months later...

We used PSS moving to Australia in 2012, they were not too bad. We did have a couple of breakages (approx. $300 worth) but had used Insureyourmove and they paid out without much bother. We moved back this year and as we dumped most of our furniture we did not have a full container so Chose MoveCube & were not happy with performance see following

Plus points

Load your own MoveCube (Ply wood crate). -Peace of mind although this will not suit every one

Hopefully belongings do not need to be opened & examined before they are received at destination.

(This is maybe debatable as customs may access but ours seemed untouched from us packing).

Similar price to a removals firm whom complete packing and supply packing materials

Negative points

Move cube was supplied for 90 min (not 3 hrs) as had other jobs on the day, (although this was sufficient it was rushed and we did not have time to check through the property before trailer departed, later found quite a few things which should have been packed & so had to be disposed of).

Goods did not leave Australia for over seven weeks after collection.

71 - 87 days is quoted as expected delivery time but read the small print, this is from full payment which we made 4 days after collection and other exclusions. Our goods were collected on 27th May and eventually delivered on 6th Sept. Overall time of 104 days which was a long time to live out of a suitcase (91 days by Seven seas calculations!). This cost us a considerable amount as items such as clothing for a wedding which we had expected to have arrived had to be replaced.

Poor communication, information not updated unless asked for. Call backs not made after regular inquiries over the period of delivery. (Excluding one assistant _Wendy in the UK).

more poor communication on site inspection, not made on time - call backs not made following enquiries & eventually told we did not even need to be present after we had stayed in all morning !

Overall service was pretty poor and not really needed on top of the stress of moving around the World again.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...