" Hey im moving to Oz" - the dreaded reactions !!

pegg

It is a big saving Very Stormy. We are just a bit disappointed as it is £10,000 under the valuation and normally in Scotland you get over the valuation. We are probably going to accept it though the sale could go through in six weeks. When it is accepted it feels like things will start to happen e.g. visa for me and firming up jobs for my husband. Not looking forward to packing up the house we live in but at least the tenanted house will be straightforward. That just reaffirms why accepting that offer is the way forward. Thanks for the message Very Stormy. Hope you are settling in to the UK okay. Did you get your house sold in Australia? It is a lovely house

It is a big saving Very Stormy. We are just a bit disappointed as it is £10,000 under the valuation and normally in Scotland you get over the valuation. We are probably going to accept it though the sale could go through in six weeks. When it is accepted it feels like things will start to happen e.g. visa for me and firming up jobs for my husband. Not looking forward to packing up the house we live in but at least the tenanted house will be straightforward. That just reaffirms why accepting that offer is the way forward. Thanks for the message Very Stormy. Hope you are settling in to the UK okay. Did you get your house sold in Australia? It is a lovely house

It is always a bit of wrench when you don't get what you were hoping for. But, I imagine 10k is what an agent would have charged anyway. And, at least you know its sold. Much more of a headache if it didn't sell before the move. Though of course, keeping a place in the UK as a "just in case" is not a bad idea - we obviously wish we had, but it wasn't possible. Also, I know from friends that some parts of Scotland are seeing falls in prices at the moment - anywhere near Aberdeen seems to be getting hit by layoffs from the North Sea due to oil prices

The house still hasn't sold, though there are a couple of parties showing some more serious interest and I have just reduced it again. But, it seems it is very dead in WA at the moment for selling. House prices are falling and a lot of people leaving and 17,000 empty rentals across the state are hitting sellers. But, as long as we at least cover the mortgage and a bit more, I will be pleased.

I think we will contact them tomorrow and officially accept the offer. Unfortunately we are not currently in the position where we could keep the house on and move to Oz but job prospects for hubby in farming are much better than UK, considerable increased earning potential in farming plus house, car, ute, meat, water and electricity and 60-65k salary. He also has joinery which he could fall back on if farming jobs don't work out or are too rural. It's easy to look at job location on map but I think until you visit the more rural areas it would be difficult to commit, 300k east of Perth is a bit of a thought!

Hope the house sells soon and the job hunting is going well.

Thanks again for your input :)

Reactions from people close to you are almost never really positive or they aren't really positive. It is really hard for someone being close to you and to be genuinely happy for you.

Things will change when you are on the other side though, it settles. I have better contact with family since we are here. I'm happy to talk to pretty much all my friends "back home" at least once every 2 weeks.

I used to get ' what no jobs, are you mad' reaction quite often, not from our close friends though who were all very supportive. we like you just felt it was something we had to do. We are still on the journey and although loving life in Australia it's not perfect but then again what is. Some things worry me (drugs, education, culture) and we both have days where we are homesick but taking everything into account it's been a positive move. incidentally we both got jobs very very quickly! Good luck, on with the adventure and go for it. QUOTE=LouLouSkippy;140113]Hey... We have had same reactions... Both sets of parents not happy mainly because they won't the grandchildren.... Work colleagues very supportive and most friends have known for a while that we were always going to go... I do feel selfish at times...as 10 year old doesn't want to go... But life is to short and if we don't give Aus ago we will so regret it!! I do find everyone has a story when they find out we are going about how they would love to go or thought about going... Or I get.... your really going to go with out jobs... To which I answer life is an adventure. Getting kinda boring now!!

You will be there a month before us so please keep us updated with your adventure!! Lou x