Almost 6 weeks in....

stephanie1982

So myself and my family (hubby and 3 children aged 13, 10 and 8) arrived in WA on the 29th March after a long but manageable flight. Kids were great on the flight and really wasn't as bad as I was expecting! We have now been here for 6 weeks and i can't believe how quickly it has flown by.

We are currently still in our holiday let which we rented for 7 weeks to give us time to find a permanent rental property. Which we managed to find our ideal home SOR with no problems and we move in on the 16th May and we all can't wait. Although we will still be without all our furnture which we shipped in a full 20 container and it left our property in the UK on the 4th March...but was delayed in the UK and is due to arrive in Freo on the 12th May. We will have to still prob wait 1-2 weeks due to customs and quarantine, but it will be great once we receive it all!

The children found it a little difficult for the first 4 weeks as they only had each other (also they had been off for 3 weeks in the UK) and having no friends here they found it hard...but since starting school this has totally changed and they are coming out of school smiling! Although they are all a little devastated that each of them is in the year that they have to take the NAPLAN tests... (comparable to SATS in the UK) but from what they are telling me they do not seem too difficult for them...a lot of what they are being taught they have learnt in the UK.

Jobs have been a little tough. I came over with a job offer as a Midwife and thankfully this has remained even though my Registration with AHPRA has been a nightmare and has taken almost 6 weeks to complete...but i will be starting my new job on Monday! My husband was not so lucky as he was hoping to stay with Aldi distribution (he worked for them in the UK) but this hasnt been the case and he is now desperately searching for work...hopefully something will come up soon!

We are finding things great...weather is typically autumnal here. Cloudy and plenty of showers so far but its nice to still be able to do things and hoping for some pleasant days next week. It is giving us a gradual introduction to the weather in Perth and hopefully summer wont be as much of a shock!

Shopping isn't as expensive as i was expecting...some things are lots more expensive other things cheaper. One thing that shocked me was how expensive green grapes are but kids love them! Its all comparable to earnings and we still convert everything although we are getting better!

To sum up so far we are loving our new life here in WA and although we have had challenges we are overcoming them and just having time to enjoy our amazing surroundings...yes there are differences to the UK, but we are yet to find any negatives to living here ( other than friends and family not being close by). Even the wildlife (spiders) isn't too bad..met some of the different types of spiders and currently have a beautiful Garden Orb weaving spider outside!

So far so good...

Steph

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great update - glad the kids are happier and good luck with the job on Monday. I think you're right to point out the differences and my tip for migrants who haven't visited before is to remember that Australia is a different country and whilst there are similarities it isn't England with sunshine. To be honest, I feel it is more similar to America than the UK.

Great update - glad the kids are happier and good luck with the job on Monday. I think you're right to point out the differences and my tip for migrants who haven't visited before is to remember that Australia is a different country and whilst there are similarities it isn't England with sunshine. To be honest, I feel it is more similar to America than the UK.

I was talking to someone the other day and we were also comparing Australia to America...especially the shopping area near where we live!

Hi, really good update. We have now been here 7mths & things are just starting to settle down. The kids love it with is a relief, they have lots of friends & I think it is just a wonderful country to raise children in there's so much for them to do. Where are you working, how is your first week going?

Hi, really good update. We have now been here 7mths & things are just starting to settle down. The kids love it with is a relief, they have lots of friends & I think it is just a wonderful country to raise children in there's so much for them to do. Where are you working, how is your first week going?

Hi there good to meet you today!

Hi,

Welcome to Australia!!! Where are u living SOR? And where have u got a job? I am a midwife also!

Hi

We are living in Baldivis. I do have a job was extremely lucky to be offered my job before there was a job freeze at FSH ..only started this week and so far so good!

Hi Stephanie,

What issues did you have with AHPRA? any advice before i get there would be grateful. less that 4 weeks before we fly!!!

It was to do with cert of good standing from NMC as they wanted another which i arranged before leaving UK but it took forever to arrive!

Hi guys glad it's all going well, we are at the talking buisiness stage hoping to the start the visa process soon, and will be heading to perth. How was getting the kids in school ? Also what area have you settled in ?

All been well my oh job will be based at the airport.

Looks like you'll be nicely settled by Xmas maybe I'll pop over for an Xmas tipple if we're there by then ?

Hi Dobsons

school was not a problem at al. We settled in Leeming based on the public schools and work opportunities as my husband was working south and I was further up so we decided somewhere in the middle was the best.

we have stayed here after looking around and we wouldn't move anywhere else... 10 yrs this year and we are still happy

with that choice. It's close to the river, not too far from the ocean. A quick train ride to the city... Good all round area. There is not a huge population of British people and so the English culture is not as obvious compared to up North Mike Butler or further down south near Rockingham

Hi guys glad it's all going well, we are at the talking buisiness stage hoping to the start the visa process soon, and will be heading to perth. How was getting the kids in school ? Also what area have you settled in ?

All been well my oh job will be based at the airport.

Looks like you'll be nicely settled by Xmas maybe I'll pop over for an Xmas tipple if we're there by then ?

Hi

Getting the kids into school was simple once we had a lease agreement. They all seem so happy at the moment which is lovely but moving house has been stressful. Now we just have to wait for our shipping container to be delivered so that it feels more homely!

Would love to meet up once you arrive! We are living SOR in baldivis!