ALDI.... Have you shopped there at all in WA or anywhere else?

Rossmoyne

I have always had a bit of a thing for Aldi..... love the eclectic style of their shops and their stance on using local producers and buying from local manufacturers etc. Loved shopping there in UK and in Queensland.... and now they are in WA and I love them just as much, as I think they are bringing a new level of shopping that WA has been lacking for a long time as the duopoly of Woollies and Coles need some competition that IGA alone cannot bring.

Shopping Aldi is a new experience for WA shoppers and you cannot guarantee that they will be stocking everything you need on your shopping list, but boy do they have some different stuff!

So far I have tried out the Belmont and Harrisdale stores and they are exactly the same size and layout. Shame that the fresh fruit and veg is a bit tired, but I buy mine from a local Greengrocer was so wasn't interested in that anyway.

So have you been to any of the new Aldi shops in WA yet? If so, what did you think? If not, why haven't you tried them out yet?:biggrin:

I have been twice to the new Aldi at Mandurah & really enjoyed the experience. There are only the two of us so I'm happy that it is a much smaller store than the usual ones. It is quick to get around as there is not a huge & confusing range that I don't need. Also I like trying out the different products. Most items are cheaper, perhaps not the meat, but it was good quality.

i like it that the check out ladies can sit down. I don't mind packing my own shopping & got used to taking my own bags while in Adelaide.

Went to Aldi in Rockingham.... All i can say positively is the lamb shanks I purchase were hugeeeee and gorgeous. As for anything else thumbs down. So not like UK Aldi plus a % charge if card is used and not cash ..... Won't be going back unless I want lamb shanks.

Went to Aldi in Rockingham.... All i can say positively is the lamb shanks I purchase were hugeeeee and gorgeous. As for anything else thumbs down. So not like UK Aldi plus a % charge if card is used and not cash ..... Won't be going back unless I want lamb shanks.

Loved there lamb shanks back home not been seen i we have been here

We have shopped at Aldi in Uk for about a year and we love it. The no nonsense approach means we can get round super quick. Still get a buzz when the shopping comes in at about half the price of other supermarkets and the quality of the food is really good, you cant tell the difference to the branded stuff. Fully expecting to shop in Aldi when we move over, will be interesting to see how it compares.

We have shopped at Aldi in Uk for about a year and we love it. The no nonsense approach means we can get round super quick. Still get a buzz when the shopping comes in at about half the price of other supermarkets and the quality of the food is really good, you cant tell the difference to the branded stuff. Fully expecting to shop in Aldi when we move over, will be interesting to see how it compares.

I can guarantee it won't be cheap like Aldi in the UK! I saw a price comparison done on a news show and Aldi didn't come in any cheaper than the other supermarkets. They just do that ridiculous thing of reducing the size...like we don't notice! Also, Aldi are opening up in Nedlands...it kind of says to me that Aldi is not competing on price but more on range of products.

Didn't really go to them in UK and as I work full time I don't want to spend my time going to several different pkaces. Can only imagine I might call in for stuff on the way home

I see your point there as there is no way you can do a whole big family shop and get everything on your shopping list, and when I worked fulltime I just did one big shop in one place (usually IGA) and got out as soon as I could!

Tried the one in Joondalup last week for the first time. I only went to buy a sandwich toaster. I had a mooch and didn't think much too it. Meat didn't seem that much cheaper and the fruit and veg was awful. I didn't know any of the brands and would be nervous to buy anything for fear of it being rubbish. Not cheap if you don't use something and have to buy something from Woolworths to replace it. Certainly couldn't do a weekly shop there. Thankfully my local Woolworths seems to have been spooked by the competition and have lowered the prices of many things. That's where it will benefit me. I also didn't like the checkout arrangement so unless it's for one of their specials I won't be frequenting there again.

Didn't really go to them in UK and as I work full time I don't want to spend my time going to several different pkaces. Can only imagine I might call in for stuff on the way home

As it's soccer season, (boy playing Saturday and refereeing Sunday) I'm normally shopping Friday evening after work which I don't like as I'm usually really tired, so one stop shop is a must for me at the moment lol

Elfie agree about the lamb shanks.... gosh they are huge and made a yummy meal in the slow cooker yesterday!

I can guarantee it won't be cheap like Aldi in the UK! I saw a price comparison done on a news show and Aldi didn't come in any cheaper than the other supermarkets. They just do that ridiculous thing of reducing the size...like we don't notice! Also, Aldi are opening up in Nedlands...it kind of says to me that Aldi is not competing on price but more on range of products.

Agree Laz to a degree... it certainly isn't as cheap in Oz as it is in UK, but it is still cheaper than the duopoly of Coles and Woollies. I don't buy meat or fruit or veg in Aldi as I use a local butcher and a local greengrocer for those items, but other products are certainly cheaper. And actually I just love trying different products. For instance, my very fussy fluffball cat who turns his nose up at everything but the high value cat food available elsewhere at $1.50 plus a tin, now loves the Aldi cat food at 65c a tin.... for that alone, I will selectively shop there!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I went to aldi in rockingham today, I didn't like it, I prefer coles and woolies. I bought a few bits tho. I was checking the prices and they were not cheaper.

Yes I agree that some of the named brand products are the same price as Coles and Woollies.... Having been in Oz so long now, I am over Coles and Woollies duopoly and lack of choice, and have been enjoying trying different brands that Aldi bring to the marketplace. Some I would buy again.... some I wouldn't. As I said in another post, my super fussy cat prefers their catfood to any others I have endeavoured to feed him, so I will continue to buy that as it saves me a fortune! I just love the whole eclectic way of shopping at Aldi though and it makes me chuckle everytime I go in there to see all the totally "out there" stuff down the central aisle, whilst all the food etc is on the outside aisles. I have to say that their chicken kievs in the frozen cabinet are pretty yum for a good price and I will be buying some more of them next time I stock up on catfood!:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I love it! I've been to the one in Mandurah and Rockingham and I can't wait till the one in my suburb opens. I can honestly say I'm saving $100 a week on my shop, which I used to do in Coles, and probably more than the one I used to do in Woolies...and I usually indulge in their special buys each week! I don't care for brands and always go for the cheapest own brand so I find Aldi's own fantastic and excellent quality...we LOVE the Jaffa cakes and Caramel Bars! I've found the fresh fruit and veg lasts really well. We've really enjoyed trying different things like the brioche burger buns and my kids love the chocolate brioche which reminds them of home! I can pack my own bags without being made to feel like a leper!

So Aldi gets the thumbs up from me! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We felt Aldi in WA a little bizzare ….. For in the recession in the UK - it was a battle for the purse / cheapest supermarket won ! So aldi and liddle where really ahead there and so many people shopped there as money was tight .

However , here around Perth i have spoken to many a person that is struggling due to lack of work ….. minors boom - and prices went up but never came down etc !

So , now we have an Aldi to help those dollars go a little further . But no , gadgets and things you dont need maybe cheaper - however FOOD is not , infact Coles seems cheaper .

In the UK an Aldi shop compared to say Tescos - the saving could be £50-£60 easy ….. But here , nothing .

Not sure if over here there are different competition laws or its all a different approach.

Anyhow just a few thoughts , but nope Aldi didnt do it for us ;o)

We felt Aldi in WA a little bizzare ….. For in the recession in the UK - it was a battle for the purse / cheapest supermarket won ! So aldi and liddle where really ahead there and so many people shopped there as money was tight .

However , here around Perth i have spoken to many a person that is struggling due to lack of work ….. minors boom - and prices went up but never came down etc !

So , now we have an Aldi to help those dollars go a little further . But no , gadgets and things you dont need maybe cheaper - however FOOD is not , infact Coles seems cheaper .

In the UK an Aldi shop compared to say Tescos - the saving could be £50-£60 easy ….. But here , nothing .

Not sure if over here there are different competition laws or its all a different approach.

Anyhow just a few thoughts , but nope Aldi didnt do it for us ;o)

After shopping in Aldi UK last year, I totally get where you are coming from. However after being subjected to the over priced Woollies/Coles cartel for many years in Australia, Aldi is making them bring their prices down, and that can only be a good thing. I am enjoying trying different products that Aldi stock too.... I have the world's fussiest cat when it comes to his food, and I am sooooo happy that he devours Aldi cat food that is 65cents a tin, as opposed to the stuff he "might" have sniffed or licked that was costing me almost $2 a tin. On that alone I will be going to Aldi!

They only charge if you use a credit card, not a debit card :)

I love the fact that so many people are saying ALDI is rubbish because it means its less crowded! I'm saving $40-70 a week since we started shopping there and I don't think it's any different quality wise to what's on offer in Coles and Woolies.

I buy as much as I can in ALDI then pop to Coles/Woolies for a few other items I'd rather stick with and it saves me a ton!

I love the fact that so many people are saying ALDI is rubbish because it means its less crowded! I'm saving $40-70 a week since we started shopping there and I don't think it's any different quality wise to what's on offer in Coles and Woolies.

I buy as much as I can in ALDI then pop to Coles/Woolies for a few other items I'd rather stick with and it saves me a ton!

we thought it was same price as Coles etc …… But you know what - im gonna give it another go , like to do a bit of saving here and there :o)