2016 Tiguan- ship it or not?

Claire4

Hi all.. trying to work out if it's a good idea to take our car with us.. it's a 2016 vw Tiguan, 14000 miles. The import process seems quite complex and costly but we would probably lose a fair amount on it if we sell it here.

Any advice will be much appreciated 

Thanks

It will of course depend on the replacemnet cost v's what it will cost you to ship/pay off etc etc.

Its a difficult one but personally I wouldnt do it as its a bit of a pain and the time you will be without a car, depends how much you love the car really.

we will be carless when we arrive but my research says that we can buy fairly well comparitively and there are loads of cars about so not too concerned.

Good luck!!

Unless you love the car, don't bother! Also it's a European car, you might or might not struggle with parts, servicing etc, or they could be very expensive here, mainly due to lack of availability of parts & knowledge/trained vw mechanics!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Tiguan here in Perth, my last VW service (60,000km) Cost me $1200, I'm now looking to change to a Mazda I asked Mazda about servicing costs $200. I have always had VWs in the UK, but never again purely down to the cost to service/repair. I was quoted $2500 for new air filters, brakes and 2 new tyres, that was on top of the service cost. 

Don't bother, sell it there and buy something not European here.  Firstly, if you go and ask on the other forum etc and look at the red book price etc what it doesnt tell you is that as soon as you mention its an personal import its already down valued, the insurance company's also load as its an import. You'll then have problems with the onboard Sat nav, im presuming it has one, as they'll want silly money to convert it to Aus. The Australians dont have this fascination and lust for all things Europeans like, say, the Americans do. I work in a garage and everything European that come in the Aussies are convinced its trouble or badly made, it makes me laugh, they don't wanna know how good it is from my point of view as far as their concerned its going to cost a fortune to repair and sadly they are right, parts for Euro stuff is astronomical compared to Aus, Jap or Korean.

As for the import process, I imported my car, an old classic, and a boat and trailer, the actual importing process was fairly simple and I could not have bought a boat similar here for what I paid for it in the UK plus shipping costs, the car probably broke even although I still havent got round to getting it registered as yet as I can't bring myself to take it to those arsewipes at the DOT at Welshpool, but thats another story, I was warned and they wern't wrong!