Wow, Perth-London direct come Mar '18!

PerthAtHeart

• 5 months later...

I hate the 10/11 hour long leg Perth to Dubai and just about get there and walk around as long as I can before I get onto the next leg..... 17 hours in one go - no way.   I always fly into Gatwick as it is in Sussex and that is my home county.... the thought of a 17 hours flight followed by the horrendous journey on the M23/M25 to get back to my home town... nah!

• 4 weeks later...

Just had to do return flight for a family funeral. Outbound trip on Monday was 17hrs 20min and return was 15hrs 45mins. Seats were not bad with plenty of legroom, had an extra seat for return so even more room. Food was alright with 3 main courses and plenty of snacks and drinks. Only one hot option for breakfast so if you like omelettes, great. Cabin crew were great on both legs of the journey. We had a short three day trip so found two long journeys without a break to be very tiring. Would consider using it again if we had a longer turn around time.

On 4/22/2018 at 00:55, Bristle said:

Just had to do return flight for a family funeral. Outbound trip on Monday was 17hrs 20min and return was 15hrs 45mins. Seats were not bad with plenty of legroom, had an extra seat for return so even more room. Food was alright with 3 main courses and plenty of snacks and drinks. Only one hot option for breakfast so if you like omelettes, great. Cabin crew were great on both legs of the journey. We had a short three day trip so found two long journeys without a break to be very tiring. Would consider using it again if we had a longer turn around time.

Sorry to hear that you had to fly back for a funeral.  My wife's nephew is considering doing the direct return flight for a wedding in July as they can only manage a quick trip of a week - 9 days max. They're unsure given the cost and negative reviews even though it makes sense to fly direct for such a short amount of time in England.  They don't think it will give them enough time to visit family and friends.  My wife is also of the opinion that it won't give them enough time to get homesick for England and consider moving back!  How did you find the short trip - admittedly you had less than happy circumstances but would you do it again?  Did you have time to see family and friends amidst the jet-lag?

On 26 April 2018 at 23:15, dylan said:

Sorry to hear that you had to fly back for a funeral.  My wife's nephew is considering doing the direct return flight for a wedding in July as they can only manage a quick trip of a week - 9 days max. They're unsure given the cost and negative reviews even though it makes sense to fly direct for such a short amount of time in England.  They don't think it will give them enough time to visit family and friends.  My wife is also of the opinion that it won't give them enough time to get homesick for England and consider moving back!  How did you find the short trip - admittedly you had less than happy circumstances but would you do it again?  Did you have time to see family and friends amidst the jet-lag?

If you are able to sleep on a plane it might not be too bad, we only managed a small amount of sleep. We arrived into Heathrow at 5.30am and after collecting our hire car travelled to our home town arriving just after 9.00am. We had a few things to do and managed to get most done in the first day. We met family in the evening and got to bed about 11.00pm. The funeral was the next day and we lasted until 8.30pm before having to go to bed. On the third day we managed to catch up with one friend and finish the things we needed to do before a family meal in the evening. We then travelled back the next day. Three days flew by and both of us didn't feel too jet lagged. The flight back seemed to drag and the jet lag really hit us once we were back in Perth.

On reflection we would probably look to do a one stop flight in future, even if only a short stop, to break up the journey. At times we were looking at our watches and realising there were several hours to go. With a stop you can break the journey into smaller time segments in your head. 9 days may be tough to get a lot done but it all depends on how well things are planned.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just bumping this thread with a question - Has anyone tried this direct flight ? As i was just looking at prices for November .... 3 adults 1 child - economy £2,538.  , business £15,000 and first class £20,400 !

Just thinking due to recent shenanigans a direct flight might be so much more simple .... Just mulling things over thats all ,  So if anyone knows of anyone ..... share there thoughts plz 

My son flew this route in March 2019 London to Perth and was impressed with the level of comfort and the time the flight took start to finish.   My son lives in Queensland and usually travels to UK from Brisbane, often travelling Singapore Air or Qantas.  However this time he had to stay longer in London to bury his father, and was unable to get a flight to Brisbane when he tried to rebook, so opted for the London, Perth, Brisbane route.   He said the whole journey was a lot easier, less stressful and felt shorter, even though he had 4 hours in Perth between flights.   I was about to book a flight on this route when all the covid rubbish started too, as  a few friends also who have travelled on this flight and recommend it.   Not sure when it will be up and running again though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...