Construction industry

Vicky87

14 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

Thanks Jen. Funny enough I saw this earlier and sent it to my husband - exciting news for those in WA and hoping to emigrate shortly.. I'm ready to come over now, hurry up visa!! Lol

I wouldn't get too carried away with this story if I were you. In comparison to the period 2010 to 2014, these projects are chicken feed. Back then we had all of the Iron Ore and Oil and Gas majors building some of the worlds biggest projects all at the same time. Ports needed expansion, rail networks had to be built. The huge influx of new people created an unprecedented demand for housing and wages went through the roof. Big projects blew out their budgets and a lot of lessons were learned. This is not what is going to happen this time.

Of course, there will be job opportunities but they will generally go to those who have done fly in/fly out work before (FIFO).

FIFO is a pretty hard game to get into especially since FIFO worker welfare became a major issue. The big miners would rather employ someone who has done it before than take the risk on a newbie.

However, every FIFO worker who is currently doing something else, will leave behind a job in Perth. These newly vacated jobs will become easier for a new arrival to walk into.

• Like 1

This makes me a little sad as we visited in 2012 and my husband struggled for work then, and if that was when it was meant to be booming ??

Oh well, we may as well at least attempt Perth as we loved it there.. Hopefully by the time we come over a few more of these projects would have commenced ?if it fails we're open to Melbourne or Newcastle, just hoping to get it right first time!

Really appreciate the detail you went into, we would ideally not like to consider FIFO however we're willing to do whatever it fakes over the first couple of years to make it work long term

2 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

we would ideally not like to consider FIFO however we're willing to do whatever it fakes over the first couple of years to make it work long term

FIFO probably wouldn't be an option anyway for a new arrival. The FIFO jobs tend to go to those who have done it before. But the plus side is that when a FIFO project starts, it creates vacancies in Perth.

As for finding work when you first arrive, it's best to just take anything you can get so that you gain some local experience. I started out doing forklift work through an agency. A day or two here and there to start with and then one of the contracts turned into a full time job. The longer you are here, the easier it becomes to find work (employers are reluctant to take on people who have just stepped off the plane).

• Like 2

Thanks warnbro, I will have a word with the other half and tell him not to be so fussy this time. I think he realises he needs to take whatever comes his way.. Our first trip caused a lot of upset and cost a fortune but we learnt valuable lessons and we're ready to try again.. We're just hoping I get a good job to support us so he can do any courses or tickets so he's compliant ?

Warnbro gives good advice, so please listen to him.  

However it is still only early days in the economic recovery of WA.   There are so many well qualified people out of work, although the situation is very slowly improving, and as Warnbro says, once experienced workers slowly move back to FIFO, that will leave job vacancies in Perth.

For some reason though, Australian employers often seem to shun new migrants when looking for new employees, and say they need Australian experience, and I just don't get that view.  I am retired now, but some of the best people I ever employed, were migrants with little or no Australian experience.   So the bottom line is, that you need to be prepared to accept any job, however menial, and even put yourself out there to do "work experience".    In Australia, "work experience", is basically working for free, it is not a title on your resume.   But performing work experience for an employer can in many cases gain you employment.   It certainly worked for me 27 years ago when we arrived here, and it is advice I constantly give -as @Jen78 will confirm.

Thanks Rossmoyne, I've read a few conversations on here and it seems to be a common theme - you must have Australian experience and it seems to be more who you know rather than what you know..  having visited before I hope we are coming over with our eyes open this time, we're definitely not as naïve!  
We are both prepared to do work experience and take whatever job comes our way, also planning to join clubs etc to try meet people in hope to make friends and also aid with finding employment.  We can but try when we get there I guess :-)

7 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

For some reason though, Australian employers often seem to shun new migrants when looking for new employees, and say they need Australian experience, and I just don't get that view.  I am retired now, but some of the best people I ever employed, were migrants with little or no Australian experience.  

I agree. Some of our best workers are new arrivals. I suppose it makes sense. Lazy people don't up sticks and move half way around the world for a better life.

I think some of the problem is that there is this perception that the newly arrived Pom may well decide they have made a mistake and decide to turn tail and go home. The longer you have been here, the less this is a concern for potential employers.

You can't claim benefits for the first two years, so you lose nothing by doing a bit of unpaid voluntary work. I didn't do that myself, but I know an ex civil servant from the UK who came over on his wifes visa (Nursing). He volunteered to clean the windows at the local aged care facility and also did three days a week at the local Good Sammy sorting through donations. He's now manager of maintenance at the aged care facility.

In my first week, I took my forklift ticket and paid the instructor some extra to let me play around on it for a couple of hours to hone my skills (I was a bit rusty). I signed up with a couple of labour hire companies and took anything they offered even if it meant travelling 50kms for half a days work. I got myself a reputation for never turning anything down and always being on the other end of the phone. They could ring me at 9am and I would be on site at 10am. My first full time job was pretty rubbish with long, unsocial hours but I used my free time to write off for things I wanted to do. Eventually, I got myself into what I am doing now.

I think Vicky87's hubby may have also struggled last time around because they were on a working holiday visa. I expect being here on a PR next time will change things a bit.

• Like 1

I never thought of that reason, in fairness I don't blame employers thinking that way now that you mention it! I guess there are a lot of people that head back for various reasons (could even be us) , and it's almost like we need to prove we're prepared to stay. I suppose as long as we put in some effort hopefully we'll be rewarded..

And yes I guess the WHV could have been an issue when we were there before, I know traveling came first when we were there and work just provided the money we needed to see some of the sights. He managed to find some work eventually, but he was being very fussy then