Has anyone applied for citizenship lately?

Jack Bauer

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, miller said:

We arrived on October 15 and have spent at least a month out of the country,will we be able to apply October 19?what happens if you go home after your 4 years without getting citizenship,can you apply from the U.K.?or do you have to be staying here

I think you would be eligible in October - you have to have not had more than 3 months absence in the last 12 months.  If you go back without getting citizenship and want to return, you have to apply for a resident return visa.  This is harder to achieve the longer you are away and you need to identify your strong ties to Australia.  I would certainly apply for this at least prior to leaving as it can take several months to grant.  +

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2018 at 06:42, Livingthedream66 said:

Hi we applied for citizenship in Oct 2017.

Partner and two kids under 16.

We had our interview and test yesterday 28/08/18.

All was ok just waiting now to be accepted and the ceremony hopefully.

Was a weird feeling after waiting that long to have finally completed it all.

Hopefully won’t be too low by a wait.

Hi my wife and I took our test in July 18

and we still haven't had a letter of acceptance. 

• 1 month later...

We got our interview dates today, August 1st. How Ozzie is it that my OH will be flying to Bali that day 😂😂 I've managed to get her a cancelled appointment for this Thursday afternoon, she hasn't even looked at the test questions yet.

How long have people waited for their ceremony after the interview?

20 hours ago, flatpack said:

That's why the missus is doing her test on Thursday. We'd like to do it together but if we can save the cost of her RRV

I think you might have to still have an RRV, because until the Ceremony has taken place and you have the Certificate and an Australian Passport, you will not officially be an Australian.   It can take months from taking the test to be notified you have passed and then you still have to attend the Citizenship Ceremony.   Happened to a friend, so just passing this on in case it applies to you.

21 minutes ago, Rossmoyne said:

and you have the Certificate and an Australian Passport, you will not officially be an Australian.   It can take months from taking the test to be notified you have passed and then you still have to attend the Citizenship Ceremony.

I think you're an Australian once you've done the ceremony. Whether you choose to get a passport after that is up to you (and obviously comes with its own waiting period).

It also happened to me - the gap between test and ceremony meant we had to pay for RRVs which we wouldn't have had to if they hadn't been so far behind on processing citizenship ceremonies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phil said:

I think you're an Australian once you've done the ceremony. Whether you choose to get a passport after that is up to you (and obviously comes with its own waiting period).

It also happened to me - the gap between test and ceremony meant we had to pay for RRVs which we wouldn't have had to if they hadn't been so far behind on processing citizenship ceremonies.

Yes you are right.... forgot that bit!

So the OH was nervous about doing her test so quickly so I swapped her appointment with mine.

Appointment time 2.40

Arrived at 2.20

Called for interview at 2.20 (literally as I pulled my ticket from the machine)

Went for test 2.30

Walked out all completed at 2.43

It's a very simple process, there was to interview to speak of. Just asked for my docs and processed them, then off to the computers for the test.

The lady was very helpful and think there's a small chance we might get it all completed in time to save on RRV's

• 2 weeks later...

So after loads of swatting and completing mock Citizenship Tests on an app the OH went to do her interview and test. She was real nervous and out of maybe 40 or 50 mock tests she had failed only twice, the very first one and one about halfway through. However guess which ones she was concentrating on lol.
Anyway I went with her and off she goes for the interview armed with her docs. 20 mins later she comes out and heads straight for the door, walking at a much faster pace than usual. I had to catch her up, i asked how she'd gone on. Her face said she'd failed but she'd passed with 90%.
Just waiting for the next step now which they said can be 3-6 months wait. At least our council do ceremonies every month.

Are we going to beat the deadline before we need an RRV?

32 minutes ago, flatpack said:

Are we going to beat the deadline before we need an RRV?

Still aiming for a 1 August trip? If so, that might be a bit tight. Could try ringing the council and seeing if they'll fit you in soonest. Other than that, brace for the cost of RRV.

4 hours ago, phil said:

Still aiming for a 1 August trip? If so, that might be a bit tight. Could try ringing the council and seeing if they'll fit you in soonest. Other than that, brace for the cost of RRV.

I asked at thew immigration department and she said it was doable but tight. We have to wait until immigration inform the council before we can request a sooner date and I'm not sure how long that will take.

I'll give it 4 weeks before I ring the council.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's now over 4 weeks since I did the test, following advice from the lady who interviewed me I rang the local council today. I spoke to a very helpful lady who said that we need to wait for a letter from immigration saying we had passed the test/ interview. Once we receive that then it's a quick process.

I told her when we did the test and she said we should have it very soon. She checked available dates and there's room for us on the 1st of July which mean we can get passports before 1st August. I'm pretty happy with that timeframe.

Just waiting for the letter now!

4 hours ago, flatpack said:

So it's now over 4 weeks since I did the test, following advice from the lady who interviewed me I rang the local council today. I spoke to a very helpful lady who said that we need to wait for a letter from immigration saying we had passed the test/ interview. Once we receive that then it's a quick process.

I told her when we did the test and she said we should have it very soon. She checked available dates and there's room for us on the 1st of July which mean we can get passports before 1st August. I'm pretty happy with that timeframe.

Let us know how you go...

• 2 months later...
On 03/05/2019 at 14:38, flatpack said:

So we have an update, no matter what anyone says immigration are slower than a slow thing from planet slow that is really tired!

Our citizenships didn't get approved in time to get a passport so Mrs Flatpack could go to Bali. I was a little miffed to have to pay over $400 for a RRV but needs must, guess what came through the post almost immediately afterwards... yup her citizenship approval.

I'm beginning to believe the folk that say it's a cash grab and that I shouldn't have told them about the Bali trip as I did my interview 10 days before the missus and I'm still waiting for my approval 4 weeks after she got hers.
I wonder if I paid for a RRV whether it would come through.