Advice on Suburbs

Hi,

Myself, hubby and three kids (10, 6 and 4) are moving over in June, his work will be in Jandakot, so we were looking at suburbs like Southern River, Canning Vale, Piara Waters, Leeming and Willetton.  Does anyone have any experience/advice on these areas and positive/negative on certain schools? Are there any suburbs to the west of Jandakot that anyone could recommend?  We have relatives in Kelmscott but they have grown up children now so hard for them to recommend relevant suburbs with decent primary schools.  We're not adverse to living on the coast, but obviously with the price difference we figured it would be more sensible to live inland.  

I have done a lot of research, but you can't beat first hand experience... Any help would be greatly appreciated whether good or bad.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome.  We live in Leeming and has done so since our arrival 12 years ago.  I'm a little biased in that I think it's a great suburb , the primary schools in the area all have good reputations.  My children went to Leeming SHS and whilst they don't have the exam success of Rossmoyne and Willeton, we found it to be an excellent school.  (Children from Canning Vale attend there if there's room).

My children are chalk and cheese, my daughter is an academic and was studious - Leeming had an Academic Extension Programme (AEP) for science, English and Maths.  My son is more social and into sports - the school more than met his needs both academically and with programmes for outdoor education, sports coaching and he even got his skippers ticket (licence to drive a boat) as part of one of his courses.

They have a science academy and music programme too.  Leeming has an Education Support Centre attached - the children who attend this are encouraged to be very much part of the school - I really think that it helps children see and accept difference and I know that my two and their friends are very accepting of others differences and difficulties because it was part of their daily school live.  The Year 12 ball included all year 12 students from both main stream and Ed support which I think is excellent.

Leeming, is very close to everything,  our standing joke is that most things are only 20 mins away - the city, Freo, beach.  It might not appeal to some being older - the benefit is bigger blocks - we are seeing some houses being demolished and new builds going on them.  We wouldn't live anywhere else.

Hi Ali,

Thanks for your quick response.  Nice to know you've settled in one place and happy with it.  My 10 year old is kicking against us moving, but I'm sure that once they all make new friends that they will be fine.  

Do you have any areas that are a no-no? I'm finding that the hardest thing, because in the UK (the area you grew up in), you know the 'dodgy' areas that you deffo wouldn't want to live in, but without the experience of living in Perth for any length of time it is so hard to know where to avoid...

My daughter was 10 and she overheard us talking about the possibility and burst in to  tears saying we were making her leave her whole life behind .. harsh as it sounds we said that we wouldn't leave her behind and that like it or lump it she'd have to come with us … but, we would keep her informed of things like when we applied for the visa when we got it etc.  She was 11 when we made the move in the 7 months to get the visa had got her head around it.  We told her we wouldn't be going until she had finished primary school - having her leavers ceremony and church service were very important to her (and us) and it was no hardship to move afterwards.  My son who was 7 - we'd been in Aus a year and he asked at dinner if we were still on holiday - we just said we live here now and he said OK.

Armadale has a bad reputation but I work around there and Kelmscott and there are some lovely parts - and it has great facilities.  Some area's I wouldn't live not because they're not nice but compared to where I live and being so close to things with good transport network and amenities they're a bit too far out or don't have bus/train etc.,

We were hoping that we could still be here for his leavers party, but my husband's job has already been delayed so it looks like we'll be left here by early June.  We had to pretty much say the same to him about lumping it, it's not something we conjured up to make his life a misery, it's been our dream for 18 years. He'll get used to it.

On 11/01/2019 at 11:07, jo bolt said:

Hi,

Myself, hubby and three kids (10, 6 and 4) are moving over in June, his work will be in Jandakot, so we were looking at suburbs like Southern River, Canning Vale, Piara Waters, Leeming and Willetton.  Does anyone have any experience/advice on these areas and positive/negative on certain schools? Are there any suburbs to the west of Jandakot that anyone could recommend?  We have relatives in Kelmscott but they have grown up children now so hard for them to recommend relevant suburbs with decent primary schools.  We're not adverse to living on the coast, but obviously with the price difference we figured it would be more sensible to live inland.  

I have done a lot of research, but you can't beat first hand experience... Any help would be greatly appreciated whether good or bad.

Thanks.

We lived in southern river for 2 years. had 3 kids in bletchley park primary school. fantastic school lovely area, we loved it. any questions fire away

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry no advice we are thinking of moving out in the next couple of years. We currently have a 1 year old and would likely have another baby in the first few years of moving. I’m a teacher and my hubby is a doctor - how about you guys? We are just starting the research process. We have a few friends who have moved to Perth in last few years but none of them have children so we have different requirements and more need for security. Any advice or places to look for research childcare advice visa advice anything at all would be really helpful! Thank you 

Lauren x