Bricklayer - White Card?

pegg

hey all ,  i was just having a think regarding work in Oz .... And when we where there you where in a bit of a recession , So my wife worked as a nurse.

Anyhow just thinking as i run my own building company here in UK ( my trade is bricklayer ) ..... i could perhaps look at working and she maybe work part time ? But my question is regarding qualifications to work ? Do i still need a "white card"  ....... And if so how do i obtain one ? can i get over here before coming over ?

Just a thought i was mulling over ...... Cheers guys 

Yes you would need a white card to work on sites.

For WA it can be done online and is quite a simple process, I don't think you can do it before you get here as you need a WA address (as the other states have different requirements), they now also require you to put on PPE gear for a photo, the vest/top has to have reflective stripes.

I did mine through Bluedog training (https://bluedogtraining.com.au/courses/western-australia-white-card) about 6 years ago, it took less than a couple of hours then a phone call 24 hours later to answer a couple of questions (this may now have changed). The link will give you more info

• Like 1

On 17/06/2021 at 01:20, welljock said:

Yes you would need a white card to work on sites.

For WA it can be done online and is quite a simple process, I don't think you can do it before you get here as you need a WA address (as the other states have different requirements), they now also require you to put on PPE gear for a photo, the vest/top has to have reflective stripes.

I did mine through Bluedog training (https://bluedogtraining.com.au/courses/western-australia-white-card) about 6 years ago, it took less than a couple of hours then a phone call 24 hours later to answer a couple of questions (this may now have changed). The link will give you more info

Many thanks  ..... Will look into it 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, FOL said:

@pegg You want to keep bricklaying? You are quite a handy guy with tools right? Home renovations? Basic carpentry?

im thinking about it matey . In the Uk we renovate every property , built our own home ...... And recently renovated a cottage . So yep home renos are something where used to lol

From personal experience of trying to find a handyman to come and do various jobs that are beyond me now I am an old fart, I know for certain that there is a huge lack of tradies who are prepared to do small jobs.   Anything from hanging doors, installing skirting, relaying a patio, building brick retaining walls in a garden, replacing rusted gutters, plastering over exposed brick, knocking down part walls and making good.... and the list is endless.... all smallish jobs, but finding someone to even come and quote for such things these days can be pretty hard.   So perhaps consider looking at not the big picture of total renovations, but picking up small jobs from people who want to do some of the work themselves, but need a tradie to perform the serious bits.    Just a thought!  

• Like 1

On 06/07/2021 at 10:43, Rossmoyne said:

From personal experience of trying to find a handyman to come and do various jobs that are beyond me now I am an old fart, I know for certain that there is a huge lack of tradies who are prepared to do small jobs.   Anything from hanging doors, installing skirting, relaying a patio, building brick retaining walls in a garden, replacing rusted gutters, plastering over exposed brick, knocking down part walls and making good.... and the list is endless.... all smallish jobs, but finding someone to even come and quote for such things these days can be pretty hard.   So perhaps consider looking at not the big picture of total renovations, but picking up small jobs from people who want to do some of the work themselves, but need a tradie to perform the serious bits.    Just a thought!  

yes good thinking