Perth Primary Schools

Guest Sparkythistle

Guest Sparkythistle

We are moving to Perth at the end of the year, from the UK. We have a 5 year old child in reception in the UK. Since our child will start Primary 1 in Perth we are wondering how that compares to Year 1 in UK schools. We don't want our child to repeat the reception year. I know the pre-primary year is optional but I was wondering if the children in that class cover much of the same curriculum as the reception year in the UK. Any inside info would be appreciated.

My son is reception in the UK, and his cousin is pre primary in Perth, and they seem to be covering the same stuff, ie learning phonics, key words, basic maths, social integration. Lets face it, it's not exactly physics and chemistry! It's not a bad age to start. You would have much more issues at later years.

I remember I did year 4 in Sydney and we studied Australian history. I did year 4 again in the uk, and we studied Australian history. I did year five in Perth, and we studied Australian history. I wouldn't mind normally, but Australian history basically consists of, "a load of blokes get some mules and camels, drive them off into the middle of the desert, and then die of thirst and hunger ..."

I remember I did year 4 in Sydney and we studied Australian history. I did year 4 again in the uk, and we studied Australian history. I did year five in Perth, and we studied Australian history. I wouldn't mind normally, but Australian history basically consists of, "a load of blokes get some mules and camels, drive them off into the middle of the desert, and then die of thirst and hunger ..."

:biglaugh::biglaugh: Newjez that's hysterical! You're spot on, too!!

(And for the record, the same thing happened to me in years 4 and 5 too!)