Renting near Beach but close to CBD?

Hi Everyone,

Myself and my wife are due to emigrate to Perth in August. Thankfully we have jobs lined up both of which are in CBD.

We are hoping to have 4 weeks out there before we start work and are ideally looking for a holiday home/apartment near the beach so we can get a bit of R & R in. However, we want to have easy access via public transport to surburbs and CBD as we intend to try and secure a long term rental during the month?

Any adevise really appreciated as have not a clue of areas and surburbs.

How close do you want to be to the beach and the CBD? By this I mean, in terms of public transport, how long do you want to have to travel (in minutes)?

The reason I ask is because a lot of short term rentals that are close to a beach are a fair way in terms of travel time from the CBD - when you include walking to the train or bus stop, then walking to your place of work, travel times of 45 minutes plus are fairly normal.

The other thing is, if you're looking for a short term rental at this time of year, you don't necessarily want to be right on the beach as it is pretty cold at the moment, plus the howling winds aren't overly inviting!!

Anyhow if you can give some idea of your desired travel times, we'll all have a better idea of what you're looking for and might be able to assist :)

Guest Ali_M

Hi, we're arriving in Perth in mid August, although unlike you we haven't got jobs to go to. We're renting a furnished 2 bed unit on Cottesloe Beach which I think is one of the closest beaches to the CBD, although I hadn't thought through the implications of howling winds in winter as pointed out above. Still you get those in Cornwall in summer, and the sea view will be lovely whatever. I found the accom on stayz.com.au which is for holiday lets, but you should be able to get somewhere for 4 weeks on there as it's low season. We're staying in a place called The Mariner which looks fine for the 4 weeks we've booked. There is plenty of Cottesloe accom to choose from. Good luck with your move! Where are you planning to live after the 1st 4 weeks?

Tonight we are expecting 2 degrees C, which is FREEZING for us poor Ozis used to much warmer nights......

July / August you can expect a few cold night like this, if it goes below we will put an official complaint!

During the day you can expect 10 to 25 C, I think the average for the 2 coldest months Jul/Aug is 13C.

Sept gets warmer.

So, you can safely leave the long coats behind...

Keep smiling

Stefano

Tonight we are expecting 2 degrees C, which is FREEZING for us poor Ozis used to much warmer nights......

July / August you can expect a few cold night like this, if it goes below we will put an official complaint!

During the day you can expect 10 to 25 C, I think the average for the 2 coldest months Jul/Aug is 13C.

Sept gets warmer.

So, you can safely leave the long coats behind...

Keep smiling

Stefano

You are so right Stefano IT"S FREEZING, we had to let the dog sleep inside, we were afraid we'd be chipping her off her bed in the morning if she stayed out all night like she normally does!

August will be pretty cool, September starts to warm up a bit. The Perth train system is really good, so you have the whole North, South corridor to look at. For example train from Rockingham to Perth is 30 mins, but as Jen says stations aren't always on the coast, so you may need a bus journey to get there.

I think having a 4 week holiday will let you settle in, sort out things like medicare, drivers licence and things like that, and also allow you to look at what areas you will be happy to live in.

I live in the South and am happy to answer any questions you may have about life down here :smile:

Tracey