Getting an Aussie Credit Card

Guest chikala

Guest chikala

Hi

I have just arrived in Perth to start working and start next week.

I have PR and am an engineer and will be starting full time employment.

I have had a bank account with Commonwealth for 3 years.

I went to see them on Saturday to change a few details with my account and asked if I could apply for a credit card.

They said no way until I have:

Completed my probationary period at work.

Have shown a few months of salary paid into my account.

I like to have a credit card for things like online shopping, pay pal or any unanticpated 'extras' etc.

I am not after a massive limit.

Can anyone suggest another bank or advise if what commonwealth bank have said to me is normal?

I am not bothered about being loyal to a bank at this stage and loyalty would only become an issue when I apply for a home loan in about a years' time .:biggrin:

Thanks

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

When we arrived we could only get an EFTPOS card for starters, then could change to a visa debit card after 6 months (that was with Bendigo). With ANZ we could get a visa debit card straight away, so looks like all banks have there own rules/guidelines. Not sure about credit cards as we have never had one over here.

We went with NAB, on a 457 visa, and got a Visa Debit card (which you can use online) within a couple of days and credit cards within 2 weeks, that was before I started work so I only had my acceptance letter. Might be different for PR visa. I'd just go in and ask.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Har00n

Like STU, im also with NAb, and have just arrived.

I'll be getting my Visa card this week, after i verified my ID with my passport on wednesday.

I also asked about credit cards, and they advised they'd have to see two paymenmts from work coming into the account, then it wouldnt be a problem.

As i get paid fortnightly, it means only waiting about a month or so....

Hope this helps.

Guest chikala

Thanks for the replies.

The rule of thumb as Har00n says is the bank will want to see 2 salary payments made into your account.

I have been fine without one since I was able to link my pay pal account to my current account.

Most Aussie websites accept direct payment anyway.

The biggest rip off are these annual credit card fees the banks seem to want. Gotta keep an eye out for the no annual fee campaigns...:smile:

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the replies.

The rule of thumb as Har00n says is the bank will want to see 2 salary payments made into your account.

I have been fine without one since I was able to link my pay pal account to my current account.

Most Aussie websites accept direct payment anyway.

The biggest rip off are these annual credit card fees the banks seem to want. Gotta keep an eye out for the no annual fee campaigns...:smile:

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard

You'll be looking a long time banks charge fees on anything mortgages loans even accoints the CBA have visa debit cards on the complete access account , same current account ask them for a debit card

I work in a Bank at present and most newer accounts offer a Visa Debit card, which can be used like credit card. You can get free banking again with some account where you get over a certain ammount paid into each month (salary credit) it basically just has to bounce in then you spend it and there is NO other charges except if you oversea's.

Credit Cards are a different kettle of fish its based on a affordability - so for example I had all the credit/store cards a girl could want in Blighty and in my name. But when I applied here and at the bank I for they declined me based on my part-time wage and our joint outgoings. As soon as I popped my hubbies name down I got the card. Phew!!

:wubclub: